Mizuno MP5 vs Ping S56 vs MPH5 irons

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
A few months back I purchased a a set of Mizuno MP5 5-PW with stock DG shafts. This set were my first Mizuno clubs and I bought them to replace the Ping S56 I had played for nearly 5 years.
Within a few rounds I knew I liked the impact sound of the MP5 more so than the Ping's. Also, my shot trajectory was a bit higher with the MP5 compared to Ping S56. And the divots I produced with the MP were more to my liking; specifically, a bit wider and deeper.
My original purchase was for MP5 5-PW, and the MPH5 in the 4 and 3 iron lofts. However, after approximately 20 rounds, as well as some hours of range time, I was not getting the shot consistency I wanted from the MPH5's. Specifically, accuracy was a challenge. Also, quality contact was not consistently happening. I liked the appearance of the MPH5 at address, however I think its relatively wide sole was causing the clubs to bounce a bit off the turf, causing shot accuracy to suffer. Or, it could have been that the MPH5 C-Taper Lite shaft, which is lighter than the DG's in my P5's, was hurting my swing tempo a bit. So, I replaced the MPH5 with the MP5 4 and 3 iron, and am now enjoying improved accuracy from longer iron shots.
Compared to my previous S56 long irons, the MP5 has a bit larger head, a more pleasing impact sound, and approximately 10% higher trajectory.
In summary , after 30 or so rounds of golf, as well as some hours of range time, I am very pleased with my first ever Mizuno irons purchase.

nice write up, glad your enjoying your set-up.

Thanks.
For the past couple of years I have been playing 3 and 4 hybrids. Returning a 3 and 4 iron to the bag feels like wearing an old, comfortable sweater. I do not strike them high in the air like some kids do, but they are consistently straight-accurate, which is an asset.
Without hybrids, if I need a higher, softer landing 195 to 215 shot to the green, I am finding the 5 wood versatile enough to play those shots with reasonable consistently.
If I need to play a 195 to 215 bounce and run type shot, such as a par 5 second shot placement to a narrow fairway landing area, the 3 iron offers consistent accuracy.

I think this is great. I was total opposite. I hit the mp5 3 and 4 and mph5 6-pw. I felt as though I had muchbetter contact hitting out of the rough because of the round like bottom on the mph5. Golf is a crazy sport like that when it comes to feel and likes. Great write up. As far as looks go the MP5 over the mph5 for sure but I love Mizuno. I live across the street from Titliest Headquarters and have many family members working there and within research and development. I will hit the balls but they can keep the clubs and discounts. Lol

I had mp5s for awhile. 5-Pw were always in the bag and I had the 4 iron at times in my bag, but never really liked the 3 iron. I think the thing on why I didn't like the 3 and 4 were mostly due to the fact they were my first set of irons coming back to golf after a 10 year break and my ball striking wasn't up to snuff.

Back