Live Update Thread & Contest - The 2016 HandCrafted Experience with Project X

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Today kicks off the beginning of something incredibly special happening in San Diego with THPers. Months of buildup has led to the start of The HandCrafted Experience and a group of lucky participants will arrive at Project X headquarters for two days of the most unique THP Event to ever take place and you can be part of the action.

CM-or47VEAEE9sA.jpg

This thread will serve as host for all of the action and you will be able to follow along and learn about shafts, watch the participants create their very own custom shaft and even participate in a contest for a THP Custom Shaft (details below).

Contest
Win this incredible custom THP Project X HandCrafted shaft and it's as easy as two steps.

i-zs82CVm-L.jpg

How To Enter
Step 1 - Tweet out a link to this thread so others can follow along on the most anticipated and unique shaft event ever created. You must include @THPGolf @ProjectXGolf and #THPHandCraftedExperience

Step 2 - Ask a question in this thread about shafts that you would like to know the answer to and it might even get answered as the participants follow along. You can even jump right in and share your design ideas on how you would create your completely custom shaft.

Rules
1 Entry Per Person
Entries must be submitted by the end of the day on August 4th so that people can get their questions in.
Contest open to all THPers, however free shipping of the prize should you win is only available for 2016 Albatross Club Members. It is a very special initiative as THP partners with animal shelters all around the contry to give back in the name of this community of people. If you are not a member and would like more information, click here.

• Admin
And the party is open and kicks off at 9am PST.

Such an amazing experience. I'd probably how it's an all white shafts of some sort with dancing THP logos in black and neon green. I'd toss in an "XM" in there or possible have a character drawn with a beard and slap that on as well.

Question: conceptually, what was the reasoning and the KEY contributing factor that started the creation of the HZRDUS line?

this will be a fun one to follow & an event I really wanted to experience. Looking forward to the knowledge Don & his crew will share along with the designs.

Will catch up later as being up on a very high roof is not the place...haha. have a great day gents! Look forward to it.

Sent out my tweet

Now the question: Understanding Shaft technology there are many types and materials used to address certain swing characteristics. How much if any of Project X work is put in to possibly creating a shaft that trains the user to swing better? Like a training wheels setup or something like that. Maybe it has been thought of before..

Thanks

For my design ideas it would probably be just a matte silver base with some royal blue graphics and probably throw in a bright orange flair.

Question: Straight and simple, which PX shaft would you suggest for low spin/high launch driver shaft for swing speed of 105 mph?

Bumping for CA

The testor shaft looks awesome in person. The handcrafted and logos just pop off th shaft with color. Can't wait to see what the guys and Px come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm excited for all you guys! Have a great time and I look forward to following along!

Question: From a performance perspective, what's the main thing you hope to gain with your 1 of 1 PX shaft?

Last edited:
Enjoy it boys! Can't wait to see what the next couple days brings

Enjoy fellas. Looking forward to hearing how your test shafts differ from ours last year.

Sweet! I look forward to following. I am smitten with the HZRDUS line but don't know which one would be best for me. I HAVE also read so many good things about Project X iron shafts. And I know everyone is going to have an extremely amazing time! Go THPers!

Questions: Marketing buzzwords aside, how do the different HZRDUS driver shafts feel and perform relative to each other? Is the higher launch Red still "low spin" enough? Does it feel a little smoother than the Black? Does the counterbalancing of the Yellow perform the same as the Black but offer better feel? Finally, how do the overall flex ratings feel relative to other shafts? I'm a 105-108 mph driver swing speed with a more abrupt transition. I have found I prefer S and X Stiff in different shafts. Anyone there have similar swing characteristics? What flex is working for you? Thanks!

Edit: And design ideas. You know that SW or what I call New Mexican blue? Now that's a shaft color I would love to see. Have fun getting your artsy side on!

Have fun, folks!! Soak in the knowledge and use O'neil well!!

Question: Going into this event what was the most surprising thing you learned about shafts and how they fit your game? Did any of your feelings towards shafts that you currently play change?

This is gonna be a fun follow! Enjoy the experience guys!

Tweet is out.

Question:

The orientation of flags has an effect on various things. However how much of a change in that orientation is needed for an average golfer to see the effects?

What's the most common thing you hear from customer about what they want in a shaft and what are the ways you deliver it?

Based your your feedback from the tester shaft how many tweaks did cb have to make to get you the right setup?

What is the one feature or characteristic of the test shaft you want to make sure is in your custom handcrafted one?

Tweet already tweeted. Redundant statement?

Regardless - here's my question:
When selecting a custom shaft, what is the biggest (or, most common) mistake/misconception you see the amateur golfer making?

Tweet sent...

I'm searching for a stiff, low spinning mid launch shaft for my 105mph swing speed, something that would make me look good; at least make me look like I know what I'm doing...any suggestions based on your experience with this incredible experience?

Question: Do you think someone can reasonably pick out the correct shaft for themselves based on the characteristics of different shafts for example when comparing them on a website, without having a fitting done?

Tweeted!

Question: With so many shafts being available today and people are finally understanding that we need to be fit for the right combo (shaft & head), what is the plan for PX to get all their shafts into the OEM fitting carts so we can try out all the shafts to find the optimal combo for us?

Question: How would you recommend to create a shaft for someone who needs more stiffness in the tip, but doesn't have the swing speed to game a traditionally low torque/lowlaunch/low spin shaft profile?

Question: When creating your HandCrafted shaft, what is the one characteristic that you would like to see improvement compared to your current gamer shaft?

Also, what should a person be more concerned about: overall shaft weight, torque, or flex?

Back