Finding the bottom of my iron swing

Koeniky

Reaction score
Handicap
I seem to have a hard time hitting par 3s because I am constantly adjusting where I should have the ball placed in my stance.

That being said, it seems like finding the bottom of my swing may fix the occasional chunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have consistency in your posture, tempo and stance. Finding the bottom will be impossible.

I seem to have a hard time hitting par 3s because I am constantly adjusting where I should have the ball placed in my stance.

That being said, it seems like finding the bottom of my swing may fix the occasional chunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What club do you find yourself most often using on par 3's

6,7,8 are the clubs I find myself having trouble with. I have problems with a straight pull or a leaking slice.

I think Freddy hit it on the head though. I probably struggle finding the right spot because my posture and stance are very inconsistent.

I moved the ball up in my stance but I found myself chunking it and lifting the ball instead of swinging down on it.

I just find it so frustrating how I can find the fairways with my driver, but I rarely hit the green on my 2nd shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6,7,8 are the clubs I find myself having trouble with. I have problems with a straight pull or a leaking slice.

I think Freddy hit it on the head though. I probably struggle finding the right spot because my posture and stance are very inconsistent.

I moved the ball up in my stance but I found myself chunking it and lifting the ball instead of swinging down on it.

I just find it so frustrating how I can find the fairways with my driver, but I rarely hit the green on my 2nd shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My father was always hitting his wedges fat. I asked him to take practice swings and we found out his bottom was just in front of the back foot. He now plays all his wedges from this spot with great success. His swing is bad but it repeats itself. You have to find that repeatable position and then you'll find you bottom.

My father was always hitting his wedges fat. I asked him to take practice swings and we found out his bottom was just in front of the back foot. He now plays all his wedges from this spot with great success. His swing is bad but it repeats itself. You have to find that repeatable position and then you'll find you bottom.

@Freddie,

Recently I began working on tweaking driver swing path to correct pulls & hooks gaining about 20+ yrds with nice straight & draw shots. This has come at the cost of either inconsistent driver or iron play. I noticed that irons & hybrids require a steeper path to make full contact. Its almost like needing two swings, yet I think it has more to do with the set up rather than the swings.

Tweaking the path has produced some awesome results for driver, while irons & hybrids are now coming along. I dont think the problem is major but rather something as simple as setup for the improved path using the two differing clubs, sweeping v bottoming.

May you have any suggestions to quickly resolve this new issue?

S

@Freddie,

Recently I began working on tweaking driver swing path to correct pulls & hooks gaining about 20+ yrds with nice straight & draw shots. This has come at the cost of either inconsistent driver or iron play. I noticed that irons & hybrids require a steeper path to make full contact. Its almost like needing two swings, yet I think it has more to do with the set up rather than the swings.

Tweaking the path has produced some awesome results for driver, while irons & hybrids are now coming along. I dont think the problem is major but rather something as simple as setup for the improved path using the two differing clubs, sweeping v bottoming.

May you have any suggestions to quickly resolve this new issue?

S

I have always taught one swing from the driver to the SW. I've always felt that the distance you stand from the ball is really the only thing that changes. But your posture remains the same. Slight knee flex, bend at waist, arms hang from the shoulders and feet are shoulder width apart.

The driver is off the front foot at 45-46" in length. The 5 iron about the middle of the stance at 37" in length and the SW off the back heel or slightly forward at 33" (roughly). With each club the distance your standing changes but the swing path should be the same. If your driver swing is new, it will take time with the rest of the club. Play with the position of the ball. Hybrids forward of center and iron from center back. Stance and posture remain the same.

This is so timely for me. Been thinking for a couple of days that my biggest problem may the the bottom of my swing. Played a really good round last week because my iron shots were solid. Can usually hit fairways and putt decent so GIR or at least relatively close usually will decide how the round goes. Can need a chip and a putt, then chunk or blade and end up with a double or worse. Have thought about and a quarter of an inch can be the difference between good and terrible, too low and chunk, too high and across the green. Same problem from 100yds out, chunk and still have a similar shot or semi blade it and be over the green. Will try to work on some of what I've already been reading, thanks for the timely advice.

My ball striking is always better when I don't let the ball creep to far forward in my stance.

Back