Best 400cc drivers ever made?

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys,
I recently donated a kidney and will be unable to play for the next 6 weeks weeks. However, to keep me busy, I am looking to purchase several old 400cc drivers to test once I am ready to play.
The reason why I am interested in 400cc drivers is that after spending years trying dozens of modern 460cc drivers unsuccessfuly, a few months ago I came across a Titleist 905s 8.5 grafalloy blue prolaunch stiff driver that revolutionized my game. The amazing thing is that the specs of that club should not be a good fit in theory. I am a 16 handicap (meaning I hit the ball all over the face), I deloft the driver and have a low launch angle and my SS is approx 95. Supposedly, the 905s with Graffaloy Blue is meant for high SS players that hit the ball square. The one thing that, in theory, suits my swing is that my miss is a pull, but this club corrects it because it tends to fade a touch.
For some unkown reason, I can square the face at impact much better with the smaller driver. Also, it seems to me (I am probably wrong) that since it is a low spin driver, when I mishit it, thr ball still remains relatively low spin.
I can happily play that driver for the rest of my life and be happy. However, for the fun of it, I am thinking of buying 2 or 3 more oldies and then testing them out against each other once I am given the green light by the doc.
Here are a few 400cc drivers that I am thinking of getting:

Cleveland Launcher 400 prolight shaft 10.5
TM 580 Graffaloy Blue 10.5

I welcome any other suggestions!

It is only 375cc but the Bridgestone J33P with Aldila NV shaft is a low spin bomber.

The Taylormade R540XD-TP Tour is 400cc and an excellent clubhead! (A Tour-issue only head).

The 9.5* loft is excellent with a Fuji 757 Speeder tipped 1/2"

I can even hook you up with a new one!..:thumb:

Last edited:
Taylormade r7 quad was one of my favorites.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Cobra 414 Comp was a great driver and close to your spec

The old KZG Gemini's are 410 cc I think.

Sadly, the 375CC to 400CC head size never had much time to gain a loyal following. Specifically, with a year's time the industry moved from 360CC size heads to 460CC.
My opinion is that 380CC to 400CC is the optimum size , small enough that it is easy to swing and square at impact, yet large enough to offer amazing forgiveness.
While the current 460CC industry standard may in theory offer "maximum forgiveness", it's jumbo size makes it more of a challenge to swing and square (than a 400CC size head).

Might try a mini driver. I'm not sure what those club head sizes are, but they are a good bit smaller.

Callaway released one last year and I think TM did as well.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I own a JDM Callaway ERC driver in 12 degrees with a 44 inch shaft. It is 350 CC but the actual face hitting area is very large. Outside of some huge faced drivers like the Pings or the Cleveland Classic, the actual face hitting area isn't that much different than most 460 CC drivers. In a 460 CC head, I typically play a 9.5.

Pros:
- Mega hot and smaller head size means I can squeeze out a few more MPH in ball speed.
- This particular one had a carbon fiber body. I personally like the sound.
- Good for in the wind because I feel like I can tee it a bit lower and keep it in play. Because of a little bump in loft, I can get similar launch angles as a 460 CC head in 9.5.
- No question it is easier to turn over.

Cons:
- Not going to lie, but it is not as forgiving on off center hits.
- When I carry two drivers I tend to over think the tee game.

Cleveland Launcher with the gold shaft

Thank you for all the suggestions! One additional (and more expensive idea) that I have is buying a used M1 430 head and installing a Grafalloy Blue shaft (making it the same lengh as my 905s since it works so well).
Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thank you for all the suggestions! One additional (and more expensive idea) that I have is buying a used M1 430 head and installing a Grafalloy Blue shaft (making it the same lengh as my 905s since it works so well).
Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

I honesty think that comes down to how high you like to tee the ball. I think the primary benefit that I see of the smaller headed driver is the ability to tee it lower and hit it like a FW. Many people report better control with a FW and I personally think that is in large part due to tee height.

If you are comfortable with a "tee it high and let it fly" approach, then I think the 430 head is a better choice. It is going to be more stable on off center hits. If you like TM, check out the M1 430. It did very well on another site's testing. If I were in the market for a 430 head, I'd go for the Tour Edge E8 Beta. It put up some blistering ball speed numbers in comparative testing and given it is a year old it will be cheaper.

Quick question for those in the know:

My Titleist 905s comes with a Stiff 65g Graffaloy ProLaunch. I believe that the shaft goes in deeper into this head than modern drivers. I believe they were bore thru.
So, my question is: If I buy a Stiff 65g Graffaloy ProLaunch, put a TM tip on it, and install it in a M1 430 head, will it play very differently since it is not bore thru?
Thanks!

Quick question for those in the know:

My Titleist 905s comes with a Stiff 65g Graffaloy ProLaunch. I believe that the shaft goes in deeper into this head than modern drivers. I believe they were bore thru.
So, my question is: If I buy a Stiff 65g Graffaloy ProLaunch, put a TM tip on it, and install it in a M1 430 head, will it play very differently since it is not bore thru?
Thanks!

iirc, the bore through caused it to play a bit stiffer.

BTW, the Titleist 905s w/ grafalloy blue shaft was the best 400cc driver. imo

BTW, the Titleist 905s w/ grafalloy blue shaft was the best 400cc driver. imo

There is no coincidence that you liked that driver and like your current one.

I got a mint condition hardly hit Launcher 400 stiff 8.5 my desired specs for a few bucks at goodwill and it's sweet.

Last edited:
I still have a Cobra SZ400 with a Saber Tour Vector sitting in my parents garage. I should bring it out 1 day...

I've had the 905s twice, and the 905t once. In my opinion, one of the best driver lines ever. They would have gotten my vote. The Callaway Hawkeye VFT would be another good one to try.

Not quite 400 but the S-Yard T.388 is a very good solid compact head.

Back