What type of courses suit your game?

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
When I was looking through my handicap report to answer JB's question, it got me thinking - is there a type of course that you've found tends to suit your game more than others?

Looking at the courses that I've had the lowest differentials, I seem to do better on "second shot" courses. I'm pretty confident in my irons, so courses that give you some room to work with off the tee but require more precise shots into greens tend to be the ones that I'll put low numbers up on. A course that I think suits my game pretty well is the Ranch, where we played Regional Rivalry. There's a lot of trouble around that course, but very few holes where you set up on the tee and feel a lump in your throat. True Blue is another one that comes to mind, though that's even more open off the tee.

I've also found that I've played well at a lot of seaside course that I've played. I'm not bothered a ton by wind, unless it's really up high.

6500-6800 yards. Dogleg left holes and 180-200 yard par 3s work for me.

Long but open off the tee. If I can bomb it off the tee knowing all but the worst shots will be playable, I can score.

Putt-putt

I'm my own worst enemy. A course that has a lot of risk reward opportunities from the tee like forced carries, pot bunkers where my drive should land or doglegs where you can cut the corner trying to catch me me being aggressive don't deter me and eventually I will add strokes because I risked it.

I know I could probably still get a GIR laying it up. I just can't convince myself to do it a lot.

I'm my own worst enemy. A course that has a lot of risk reward opportunities from the tee like forced carries, pot bunkers where my drive should land or doglegs where you can cut the corner trying to catch me me being aggressive don't deter me and eventually I will add strokes because I risked it.

I know I could probably still get a GIR laying it up. I just can't convince myself to do it a lot.

I'm the same way. The just barely reachable in 2 par 5 is something that can cause my round to go south really quick.

Any course that isn't overly punitive.

My game is more suited to shorter, "target golf" type of courses. Can only drive over 240 if all the conditions (tail wind, hard fairways yielding roll out) are condusive to extra distance. Definitely need sub 6500 in my not getting any younger days.

I'm very much a 'see it - hit it' player, so any course with a bunch of blind shots and landing areas gives me FITS.

So I'll go with whatever the opposite of that is.

My game is more suited to shorter, "target golf" type of courses. Can only drive over 240 if all the conditions (tail wind, hard fairways yielding roll out) are condusive to extra distance. Definitely need sub 6500 in my not getting any younger days.

The note about target golf is an interesting one. If my iron striking is decent - doesn't need to be a "stars are all aligned" day, I can go pretty low at some of the more target golf-type courses around here. My only time breaking 80 was on a course that's about as punishing off the tee as you can get. On the flip side, things can get reeeeeeallllly ugly there too.

But it's a style of course I love. We've got a course up in the mountains of NH that's unfortunately had it's best days behind it, but it's a beautiful layout and you really have to be on point.

wide open off the tee. moderate sized greens that are quick but not stupidly sloped. par 3s in the 160-200y range. excellent conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generous landing area's for tee shot's because I can be erratic with the driver. I lick my chops when there's minimal dog leg left holes. To echo Pete's statement, I fair better with "see it-hit" it tracks. I have a tough time trusting number if I can't see landing area.

Something forgiving off the tee with receptive greens. I like fast greens too.

Tree lined holes on both sides seem to get me more focused on the tee and approach shots.

one without trees, sand or water, lol.
Actually I prefer courses with more water than sand, as anyone who played with me in Minnesota last year can testify.

prairie land links. Lots of room for the ball to move laterally off the tee.

Long and narrow.

Seems like the shorter the course the worse I play.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No long required carries off the tee!

The opposite of links style courses, give me tree lined fairways and small greens. I get on a links course and all I see are green lights and I swing out of my shoes. It always ends badly...

Long and narrow.

Seems like the shorter the course the worse I play.

You are a sadist.

Like the OP said, second shot courses. I like courses that reward a great tee shot, but allow you to play on with a lesser tee shot, just with a worse angle in.

You are a sadist.

Like the OP said, second shot courses. I like courses that reward a great tee shot, but allow you to play on with a lesser tee shot, just with a worse angle in.
It's weird dude. I'll shoot 76 on a 7100 yard course and 85 on the same course from 6400.

I hit my middle irons more accurately than my wedges.

To suit my game I need a course where the OB is to the left all the way around, more dogleg rights than lefts and medium length par 3s.

6600-7000 yard,lots of dogleg left holes. Mid length par 3's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As few trees as possible. They are like magnets for my balls.

Back