Rory vs Spieth - the future of golf?

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Could Rory vs Spieth be the next big thing in golf? now ranked #1 and 2 in the world, these are two very young major winners that could provide some exciting fireworks for years to come. To me this also has a very cool Euro vs USA feel to it for the two of them which could add a cool story line leading into future Ryder cups as well. I don't think anyone currently out there will ever dominate like Tiger or Jack did, but with how well both have been playing combined recently, I feel that they could give us plenty of excitement moving forward.

So what do you think? Is this a legitimate storyline already? Will it ever be? Or does Jordan need a few more majors to really make this something worth talking about?

There are too many talented golfers in the PGA Tour right now in their 20's that you need to isolate it down to Player A vs Player B.

It will be interesting to watch for sure, but there are lots of your great players out there right now and it doesnt seem to take long to go from #1 or #2 to the mid 50's....just ask Lee Westwood or Luke Donald

There are so many possibilities of top players in their early twenties and mid's. I would say Rory's legend grows longer then Spieth's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rory vs Spieth - the future of golf?

I found the conversation between Frank Nobilo and Aaron Oberholser interesting last night on this comparison.

They rhetorically asked. If both are playing their "A" game. Who is better?

Nobilo was saying Rory's length will more than likely lead him to a more successful career. Oberholser was saying Spieths clutch putting was going to win him a lot of tournaments and majors.

This years stats show about a 17 yard difference in their driving distance. That is about a club and half and Nobilo says that over four days of Rory hitting wedge as opposed to a 8 iron for Spieth it will add up.

One of Nobilo's rebuttals to that was funny. He said putting can go on your over night for a long period of time. You don't wake up one morning and be 20 yards shorter.

I think it's too early to make any proclamations. But I know it's going to be fun watching them both for the next 15-20 years.

Last edited:
I think it's just the future of golf, a European golfer with potential to be one of the greats and a rising American star dominating what could arguably be the best field in golf. I think they will have a few battles in the future and both will earn their place in history. Jordan plays exceptional golf and both are fun to watch equally.

There are too many talented golfers in the PGA Tour right now in their 20's that you need to isolate it down to Player A vs Player B.

Completely agree. There is way too much talent out there right now to try to focus on a rivalry.

I do not see it as a Rivalary. They play different games. I think if Rory is on, he will edge JS more often then not. What I think we will see if Jordan winning his share of big events where Rory doesn't play his A Game. I know golf needs that story line but I just don't know if it will happen. As Good as Jordan is playing, I think Rory is a better player.

Jordan had a magical week, he missed nothing, it was his time. His putter saved him a lot. I am not taking anything away from his win because he earned it. I am just not ready to push him into a pre-fab rivalry. I feel like anytime someone plays well, we want to put him head to head with the Rors. I'd like to see happen naturally, I'd like to see Jordan go a run like no other. Then his confidence will almost be epic and uncrackable. Then I see him and Rory Battling.

But I saw something in Rory that I think he need to get under control. It was almost as if he was pouting on Thursday. I felt like he was not even into playing. I feel like he was lost in the hype of TW returning, Gentle Ben retiring and Jordan staking himself to a first round lead. He finally snapped out of it on Friday's back 9, but had spotted JS a big lead. When Rory just goes out and does 'Him', he is in a world of his own. There is not flinch in him when the 'W' is within reach.

The sky is the limit for Jordan, but he a different type of champion then any other. He has an edge but its not hard like Rors, TW, Reed or Phil. Its an edge and its not soft but it seems to be 'nice'. Almost like he is conducting an orchestra while secretly holding you off with the other hand. It is hard to put into words but I don't think we will see those old type slug fest rivalries out of him and Rory. I think maybe Rickie and Jordan will go at a few more times than Rors and Jordan.

Spieth has a lot more to do before he can be considered on Rory's level.

I like the idea of enjoying this past weekend for what it was, a victory for the state of Texas

As others mentioned, I'm not sure I see this as a rivalry. Until we get multiple Sundays with both dueling it out for the win, back and fourth, it's not there right now.

We'll see how long Jordan's hot streak lasts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i don't see it as a rivalry because there are just to many good players especially in the 25 and under crowd. Both will win their fair share of events and probably many more majors.

I am not a fan of forced rivalries(tiger v duval, mickelson, sergio, else, vijay). I say let their careers play out and see what happens and lets hope we see them both along with the rest of the young golfers carry the tour for many more years and just sit back and enjoy the show they will put on for us.

Oh, sure, I guess...except when Patrick Reed is on his game, because he's in the mix. Same goes for Kaymer, Jimmy Walker, Brooks Koepka if he can stay healthy, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson is back and playing well, so I think you have to add him to the mix. Heck, it's not like Rickie Fowler isn't still a good golfer, he's just not doing as well as last year thus far.

I understand that after spending most of the past 15 years looking at golf as Tiger versus Phil, it's an easy habit to fall back into. It makes for a very binary choice. But I think the next decade is going to be defined by parity. The following two scenarios would be equally unsurprising: No one wins more than two majors in a year for the next decade, or any of those guys go on a run and string together two or three in a row and have everyone talking about how they're the next Tiger.

Watch out for Rory. I believe Spieth's win at the Masters may have fuelled a fire.

There are so many talented 20 somethings playing on the tour now that I don't know if you will see an actual rivalry between just 2 players. Way too much talent out there.

Man, the media just wants this so bad. I think they are trying to create something that happens naturally.

Man, the media just wants this so bad. I think they are trying to create something that happens naturally.

It's like when Tiger was in his prime. Media wanted desperately to have a two-person rivalry.

Duval

Sergio

Phil

List goes on. Never really happened, though.

Golf is in an exciting place right now with all of the young talent. It also appears more are looming on the horizon, both internationally and american.

Watch out for Rory. I believe Spieth's win at the Masters may have fuelled a fire.
In all those Nike commercials, didn't Rory say he waited his whole life to win the Masters? If it takes someone whooping your arse to light a fire underneath you ... then Nike has to worry about some false advertising.

Back