DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never played there, how crowded is it on the weekends?

it gets crowded once the weather gets consistent. They do a shotgun on Saturday at 8(not sure what day they start them but that's a 5 1/2-6 hr round). One course is tee time and can be 4 1/2+ once season gets going. The third course is for VIP. Not sure what Sundays are like but would venture to guess not as busy.

it gets crowded once the weather gets consistent. They do a shotgun on Saturday at 8(not sure what day they start them but that's a 5 1/2-6 hr round). One course is tee time and can be 4 1/2+ once season gets going. The third course is for VIP. Not sure what Sundays are like but would venture to guess not as busy.

How are the conditions are Andrews? Who gets to play the VIP course?

I played Ft Belvoir today & the conditions were terrible. Worse I have ever seen there. Plus they are going down to 27 holes this year because of the Army Museum. They are redesigning the layout so I think next year they will be back up to 36 holes.

How are the conditions are Andrews? Who gets to play the VIP course?

I played Ft Belvoir today & the conditions were terrible. Worse I have ever seen there. Plus they are going down to 27 holes this year because of the Army Museum. They are redesigning the layout so I think next year they will be back up to 36 holes.

they aren't to bad for this early in the season. During the year they are avg for the most part. Fairways will not always give you good lies. Greens are normally in good condition. Tee boxes on some holes struggle to keep grass due to where there are in relation to sun blockage.

Overall the courses aren't bad...i believe they will be losing holes for new AF1 hanger in the near future.

The VIP course rotates from week to week and its reserved until 1 or 2 iirc. Military/govt leadership in the 1 star and above are using the VIP course of the day. The president is there quite a bit and gets to choose what course he wants to play which usually screws up tee times for multiple groups before and after his expected tee time.

It was spectacular out to play. But wanted to get errands done so I could watch The Masters live.

That it was. However, my little girl has her opening softball game this evening. So, I took her out to the batting cages to get some swings. We did, however, squeeze in a game of putt-putt afterward, so I guess that counts. Count me as a big fan of the Appleland Sports Center.

Another bonus is they had a couple of the new D200 drivers in the pro shop. First time I've had one in hand, didn't get to try it though.

Yep. Marc Fine. Very good guy.

I worked with him last year for lessons and will continue this year as well.

We haven't gotten to the putter fitting yet. But it's on the to do list.

Took a putting lesson with him Saturday - great guy - and a great instructor! Amazing I made any putts out all lol! Stance was closed, too ball focused, left the face open after hitting the ball, was too far away from the ball - yikes! I have kind of a pop stroke, and he said with that type of a stroke a closed stance will be death. He had me focus on squaring my stance, hanging my arms more free, getting closer to the ball ( I didn't really realize it, but being further from the ball was giving me an optical illusion that I was hitting the ball in the center, but I actually was hitting it a bit to the inside - that was my biggest aha! moment) and told me to try not looking up right away, as that was making me to ball centric. HUGE difference - I was even putting them in with my eyes closed! He even told me he really didn't see a need for a new putter. That said, I had a gift card and a driver trade in for Golfsmith, so I am proud owner of a seemore! I played Pilgrims Oak Sunday morning and had 30 putts, including one 3 putt that from where I was could have been 4 putts haha!

DC MD VA Area Chat

Great stuff BB. I really need to set up something soon with him to pick up where we left off last year.

What I like about his method, is that he shows you things that can make an immediate improvement.

Sure you have to continue to work and ingrain the changes, but yet you see some immediate improvement.

Anybody going to the Arundel Golf Park mega demo day tomorrow ? Had a bunch of clubs ready to trade in but won't be able to make it due to some family commitments

MDHacker

Post via Taptalk

Anybody going to the Arundel Golf Park mega demo day tomorrow ? Had a bunch of clubs ready to trade in but won't be able to make it due to some family commitments

MDHacker

Post via Taptalk
I was going to try to get up there for it. However that all depends on my commute back from Alexandria. If I get there it will be after 630 most likely.

MDHacker

Post via Taptalk

I have class at 6 and am on standby for a potential strike so my schedule won't allow it.

DC MD VA Area Chat

MDHacker

Post via Taptalk

No I'll be heading to Hopkins after work, so no go for me.

Too bad we're going to miss seeing our buddy the TM Rep.....ha ha

Hello again friends.

I am definitely coming down the 8th-11th of May.

My Friday is set, however, I am still undecided on courses for Sat-Mon - Renditions is a must play.

Rob, recommended Potomac Ridge, which has 27 holes (would definitely be up for playing all 27), so I would be open to playing that either Sat or Sunday and I was wondering if anyone has any VA area course recommendations for the other day.

Also, I fly out of DCA on Monday, so any course recommendations close by would be good so I'm not rushing to get to my flight on time.

Hope I can tee it up with some of you guys!

I'm going to go to the Arundel Demo Day today. Anyone else able to make it? Love to meet up with some of y'all sometime soon though! I live just outside Baltimore.

Hello again friends.

My Friday is set, however, I am still undecided on courses for Sat-Mon - Renditions is a must play.

Rob, recommended Potomac Ridge, which has 27 holes (would definitely be up for playing all 27), so I would be open to playing that either Sat or Sunday and I was wondering if anyone has any VA area course recommendations for the other day.

Also, I fly out of DCA on Monday, so any course recommendations close by would be good so I'm not rushing to get to my flight on time.

What area will you be in when you're down here Alex? Would love to get in a few holes with you. I'm not too far from "The Ridge" so I'll run check it out for you in the next couple of weeks. I'm currently out of town and will be part of next week too. Potomac Ridge went through an ownership change and definitely went downhill. I haven't played it in a few years, so they may have turned it around now. If not, I'm sure we can come up with some other recommendations for you.

I'm going to go to the Arundel Demo Day today. Anyone else able to make it? Love to meet up with some of y'all sometime soon though! I live just outside Baltimore.
POKeefe:
I was excited when I found out that the date moved from the 1st to today, but I then found out that my wife had committed me to a family thing so I won't be able to attend.

Post via Taptalk

Hello again friends.

Great Alex -- bet we can come up with something! Where will you be staying at??

What area will you be in when you're down here Alex? Would love to get in a few holes with you. I'm not too far from "The Ridge" so I'll run check it out for you in the next couple of weeks. I'm currently out of town and will be part of next week too. Potomac Ridge went through an ownership change and definitely went downhill. I haven't played it in a few years, so they may have turned it around now. If not, I'm sure we can come up with some other recommendations for you.

Hello again friends.

unless things change from last year the ridge isn't that great anymore. But definitely check it out g$$ since I haven't played there in awhile I would be interested.

alex depending on where U are staying in sure we can come up with other options as well. Early May is good for renditions as it starts to wear out in june from all the play

Great to hear Alex. I'm going to put in a hall pass request for that weekend as soon as we're sure Michele's mom will be doing ok.

Sorry, I didn't know about the changes at Potomac Ridge. I'll put my thinking cap on.

Greg and Don, he's staying at National Harbor (unless things have changed)

As for close by and DCA, you could venture over to Haines Point. It's a pure muni in every since of the word. But it is in DC, you'll have a view of the monuments and the Potomac River and ifs probably 10 minutes from the airport.

But you should probably allow for a 5.5 hour round. That's pure speculation and hyperbole on my part as I haven't played it in at least 20 years.

As for nice courses close to DCA, do you consider 20 to 30 minutes close?

If so laurel Hill might be the next closest thing and is one of NOVA's best.

Last edited:

Good to know, hopefully someone can scout it out.

Great Alex -- bet we can come up with something! Where will you be staying at??

National Harbor

Great to hear Alex. I'm going to put in a hall pass request for that weekend as soon as we're sure Michele's mom will be doing ok.

Sorry, I didn't know about the changes at Potomac Ridge. I'll put my thinking cap on.

Greg and Don, he's staying at National Harbor (unless things have changed)

As for close by and DCA, you could venture over to Haines Point. It's a pure muni in every since of the word. But it is in DC, you'll have a view of the monuments and the Potomac River and ifs probably 10 minutes from the airport.

But you should probably allow for a 5.5 hour round. That's pure speculation and hyperbole on my part as I haven't played it in at least 20 years.

As for nice courses close to DCA, do you consider 20 to 30 minutes close?

If so laurel Hill might be the next closest thing and is one of NOVA's best.

I was looking at Laurel Hill, 1757 Golf Club in Dulles and Stonewall in Manassas (might be out this is close to $90 and a bit of hike)

My thinking cap is on as well.

Cool, I hope we can tee it up.

Don't sleep on Pohick Bay either not as nice as Laurel Hills but probably cheaper. Might be only 30 minutes from National Harbor traffic depending of course

Man I love your rates down there! So reasonable for some good courses. It's crazy in MA.

Just tell me where and when.

Man I love your rates down there! So reasonable for some good courses. It's crazy in MA.
Ha Ha...matter of perspective, I often say the exact same thing about North Carolina courses :)

As for the 1757, I really like the course, but honestly would hate for you to play it as a first time course and it be your only impression. It's got a lot of funky holes/shots on it. it was pretty much crammed into the middle of an urban development, and while you don't really see any of that while playing (not too much) it does create an "interesting" layout. The condtions and faciltiy are top notch though, maybe some of the best in the area.

Stonewall is almost a bucket list type course, but you pay for it especially on weekends. I think in that "neck of the woods" Laurel Hills or possibly Old Hickory, just a few more miles down the road are solid choices.

Not to worry, with all the intel of the solid DMV gang, we'll point you in the right direction and I'm sure have at least a handfull of us to join you.

I will echo what Rob said about 1757 very nice course and great practice facility. It has a lot of water on it also which is odd for where it is located.

I am surprised that there aren't more courses right near National Harbor. Don't venture much across the river haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back