2014 Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods

Appreciate the feedback all. I will test these on saturday and am looking forward to it. JB thanks for the correction I was thinking the V Series and Alpha and XR as newer models but I guess the XR is a different line and the VSeries is essentially the same.

Once again sorry dug up an old item but appreciate the feedback

I love it in the driver, I've been hearing good things about what they're seeing from the handcrafted LZs in fairway woods. Testing Friday at Wentworth with THPers.

cfd3a1072300e7e3a7123b77a9694774.jpg

Can anybody compare these to the V Series or 815? I hit a V Series yesterday and thought it was a great club, but I bemoaned the loss of adjustability, and they didn't have any '14 Berthas left for me to compare to. I hit the '14 Bertha about a month ago in stock stiff 3W and was smoking it at what seemed like similar distances (I was hitting the V Series at anywhere between 225 and 235 carry on good strikes yesterday), but it's been a while. Both are on sale on CPO, so I'm pondering.

2014 Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods

EDIT

Ah I thought you were in that one. Nevermind.

I may not keep my 3w. If you are still pondering when I decide maybe we can work something out.

EDIT

Ah I thought you were in that one. Nevermind.

I may not keep my 3w. If you are still pondering when I decide maybe we can work something out.

Sounds good, let me know. Not sure what you might want in trade but I've got a closet full of extra clubs right now haha...no I don't have a problem :alien:

Can anybody compare these to the V Series or 815? I hit a V Series yesterday and thought it was a great club, but I bemoaned the loss of adjustability, and they didn't have any '14 Berthas left for me to compare to. I hit the '14 Bertha about a month ago in stock stiff 3W and was smoking it at what seemed like similar distances (I was hitting the V Series at anywhere between 225 and 235 carry on good strikes yesterday), but it's been a while. Both are on sale on CPO, so I'm pondering.

The 815 is definitely a smaller head than the '14 Big Bertha. Along the lines of the Big Bertha Pro, if you've seen one of those. I am trying to make the same decision - I thought in the 3W, the V series was definitely easier to launch off the deck than the Big Bertha. I didn't hit it off the tee, but I recall reading someone mentioning the V series was shorter for them off the tee than the Bertha was. Guess it depends what you're going for.

I keep trying to talk myself into the XR line for some reason, but then I go to the range and just hit the Big Bertha as well as I have any FW wood I've ever owned. I liked it better than the X2Hot last year, and short of getting a different shaft for it, just need to give the Bertha the chance to do what she does. May not be the longest FW, but it is not hard to hit straight and reliably for me.

Since I love the driver I got last year and these are $130 cheaper that they were last year I bought one today. Love the look and the feel.

Since I love the driver I got last year and these are $130 cheaper that they were last year I bought one today. Love the look and the feel.
Great purchase. Still gaming the 5 wood myself. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

I cranked the loft up on my 3w at the range today and hit it really well (for me). I also put it on draw bias and overall I got a really good flight off the deck. No idea of distance due to glare but the flight was really nice for the most part.

I believe the 5w is going to CPO as a trade in though. Just not performing for me.

Great purchase. Still gaming the 5 wood myself. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

I got the 5 wood too. Works better for me.

Hit the best 3w off the deck I have hit in a while yesterday. I was still 30 yards short on a 260+ yard shot but it was straight as an arrow and right where I was aiming. Cranking up the loft seems to have really helped. I hit it off the tee on 2 short par 4's as well and got acceptable distance and good accuracy.

The stock shaft gets the ball off the deck quickly and easily, I would like it to launch a hair lower though. Does anyone know if the red tie is "supposed" to launch lower than the stock Fubuki? I have a whiteboard out with a THPer to test and I Could drop that in the Bertha for what I would imagine is a nice flight off the tee. My concern with that is one the occasion I hit it off the deck. Hoping a red tie would be a good 'tweener of the Fubuki and whiteboard.

Hit the best 3w off the deck I have hit in a while yesterday. I was still 30 yards short on a 260+ yard shot but it was straight as an arrow and right where I was aiming. Cranking up the loft seems to have really helped. I hit it off the tee on 2 short par 4's as well and got acceptable distance and good accuracy.

The stock shaft gets the ball off the deck quickly and easily, I would like it to launch a hair lower though. Does anyone know if the red tie is "supposed" to launch lower than the stock Fubuki? I have a whiteboard out with a THPer to test and I Could drop that in the Bertha for what I would imagine is a nice flight off the tee. My concern with that is one the occasion I hit it off the deck. Hoping a red tie would be a good 'tweener of the Fubuki and whiteboard.

Just looking at the profiles of the two shafts, I think if you tried the red tie/Bertha combo, that would be pretty close to what you want to achieve Sparks. You could also look at something like the Aldila Tour Green, that combo has really brought this club to life for me. Only really one way to find out which one works though!

Another round out with this, another stellar performance. The 5 wood lofted down to 17* is just perfect for me. Opens the face a tad to keep the lefts away off the tee, but sets up super nice off the deck too. It's incredible the pairing I have found with the Tour Green, long, nice launch with lower spin, and predictable as all get out. (Thanks again, Ron!)

I keep trying to talk myself into the XR line for some reason, but then I go to the range and just hit the Big Bertha as well as I have any FW wood I've ever owned. I liked it better than the X2Hot last year, and short of getting a different shaft for it, just need to give the Bertha the chance to do what she does. May not be the longest FW, but it is not hard to hit straight and reliably for me.

I hit the 2014 Big Bertha, XR, and XR Pro fairway woods earlier this week outside and ordered the XR Pro in a 16* which will gap perfectly with my X2 Hot 2Deep. The Big Bertha was a close second but I really don't need the adjustability. I honestly think the Big Bertha and XR Pro heads give very similar results and that the shaft is a much bigger variable. My swing really, really likes the Tour Green X flex. I really wanted to like the hand crafted LZ better because it looks so cool but the Tour Green holds up better when I really step on it and it's the shaft that's in my 2Deep as well.

I just received the BB 3 wood from Callaway golf preowned. I couldn't beat the price - $125 after the special they were running. It is exactly as has been described here long, straight and easy off the deck. I'm looking forward to a great golf season.

I just received the BB 3 wood from Callaway golf preowned. I couldn't beat the price - $125 after the special they were running. It is exactly as has been described here long, straight and easy off the deck. I'm looking forward to a great golf season.

Glad you found something that works for you. Welcome to THP!

Hit my used BB 3W from CPO at the range yesterday, and boy oh BOY was I pummeling it - just like I remember pummeling it a month ago at my initial fitting. Longer, straighter, and more forgiving (especially low face) than the FG M3 - although that should be expected, as the M3 is more of a players club. I was pleasantly surprised with how well I could launch it off the deck as well - 3 woods are usually tough for me in this area. And I ran into none of the hook issues I observed with the X2 Hot and (to a lesser extent) the BB V Series - this club wants to go straight, or fade slightly on less good strikes. When I try to draw it, it will draw, but so far I haven't seen any tendency for screaming hooks.

Can't wait to get this bad b*tch out on the course!

Hit my used BB 3W from CPO at the range yesterday, and boy oh BOY was I pummeling it - just like I remember pummeling it a month ago at my initial fitting. Longer, straighter, and more forgiving (especially low face) than the FG M3 - although that should be expected, as the M3 is more of a players club. I was pleasantly surprised with how well I could launch it off the deck as well - 3 woods are usually tough for me in this area. And I ran into none of the hook issues I observed with the X2 Hot and (to a lesser extent) the BB V Series - this club wants to go straight, or fade slightly on less good strikes. When I try to draw it, it will draw, but so far I haven't seen any tendency for screaming hooks.

Can't wait to get this bad b*tch out on the course!

Nice Ryan, we both found slick 3 woods. A category I was looking to improve on. I had been pondering the BB as well, next time we tee it up I wouldn't mind letting one rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Ryan, we both found slick 3 woods. A category I was looking to improve on. I had been pondering the BB as well, next time we tee it up I wouldn't mind letting one rip

The way you hit that Cleveland 3W the last time we played, if you change from it I'm gonna kick your a$$ hahaha. But yeah, you're more than welcome to swing the Bertha a couple times, it's a bomber for sure.

The way you hit that Cleveland 3W the last time we played, if you change from it I'm gonna kick your a$$ hahaha. But yeah, you're more than welcome to swing the Bertha a couple times, it's a bomber for sure.

Haha, I know the thing is a perfect fit for my swing. Closest comparable 3 wood was the old trimetal from Olimar I owned that fairway wood. The BB line always intrigued me for some reason and never gave it a chance

Thanks to Kang's awesomeness I have a red tie shaft installed in my 3w now. It is an 8q3 so I am not sure how that will affect me but I can't wait to hit the range with it this week and see how it goes.

Just wrote up this review real quick for Callaway Preowned, so figured I'd throw it up here as well:

Best 3W I've played.

I have played about 5 different fairway woods in the past year and a half, and this one will finally make me stick with it for a while! The Big Bertha is extremely forgiving, particularly off the toe and low on the face. I am accustomed to these misses causing a screaming hook and a massive loss of distance (respectively), but with this club they are extremely playable. The club is also absurdly long for my swing - in the standard 15* configuration, I hit a drive that rolled out to over 240 yards UPHILL. That is just crazy for a guy who only swings driver about 100 mph!

If there are any knocks, they are that the club has quite a long stock shaft, which could reduce accuracy somewhat for certain players (for me it has not proven an issue thus far), and that the feel is more "springy" than "solid", which could turn some folks off. I actually quite like the feel, as it makes me feel like the ball really has some energy - plus, it is accompanied by one of the best sounds for a fairway wood I've ever heard. Also, the club has more of a fade bias in stock configuration - this is very good for me as I tend to hook the ball, but for someone who has trouble with slices the could be problematic. The adjustability should save you here though.

All in all an excellent club! Highly recommended for most all swings. If you have trouble elevating the ball though, the Big Bertha V Series may be a better choice, as it launches the ball a little higher in it's stock configuration.

My relationship with this hasn't been the best, mostly golfer related to be sure. I now have a brand new 5 wood that has been kicked out of the bag. :arrogant:

My relationship with this hasn't been the best, mostly golfer related to be sure. I now have a brand new 5 wood that has been kicked out of the bag. :arrogant:

What issues are you seeing with it? I'd be curious to hear a dissenting viewpoint to my glowing praise haha

What issues are you seeing with it? I'd be curious to hear a dissenting viewpoint to my glowing praise haha

I'm not sure. I think I just struggle with the shaft length and head size of fairway woods these days. I bought one an inch shorter and I seem to be nutting it every time.

Back