2016 #THPTheHandCraftedExperience Mascot - The Donnie Brown Bear

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I followed the 2015 #TheHandCraftedExperience with Project X very closely. The opportunity was like none other, the guys did an amazing job posting, and the event was a smashing success. One of the things that really made the event really pop for me was the involvement from Don Brown of True Temper/Project X. He was hilarious, and really mixed it up with the guys.

When the announcement came about the 2016 #THPTheHandCraftedExperience, I don't know why but I decided to kind of go after Don a bit. He basically shredded me every time I'd go after him, and it was all in good fun.

Then I got picked for the event, and the banter in the thread leading up to the first day of the event began. I solidified myself as the frontrunner for the Chump Fries award (see this thread for the back story of this prestigious award).

We were all posting away about the test shaft, then jdtox started weighing the shaft and getting launch monitor numbers, so on this page of the thread leading up to the Live Update thread, Post 973 is Don saying jdtox moved to the front of the line for the Chump Fries award, and that I had to step up the creepiness if I wanted to regain my spot.

Not to be outdone, I posted on this page of that same thread in Post 987 and referred to Don as "Donnie Bear." ...Then things got a little, weird. I was having fun with it, and it seemed like some other THPers found it funny too.

I wanted a piece de resistance, something that would leave the PX crew shaking their head, but hopefully get a chuckle out of it. I found what I thought was a funny picture of Don on google, and made a custom teddy bear. The pic was printed on a hoodie sweatshirt, and I named it the Donnie Brown Bear. I wrote Don a note, "My Dearest Donnie Bear, Every time I hold my shaft I will think of you. Remember me fondly. XOXO c.a.eleric #TCHE 2016." Then, to really increase the creepy, I cut all the hair off its head. This was funny to me until I floated over myself and looked down to see a psychopath cutting the hear off a teddy bear's head. But I was pot committed at that point.

Just in case someone else did something to bump themselves into the lead for the Chump Fries Award, I wanted the bear to be waiting for Don Monday morning after the event, after it was out of his mind and he was onto the next project. 'Remember me fondly.' So I had one of the PX staffers put it in his chair when we all left for Aviara Friday.

So there you have it. That is the creation story of the unofficial mascot of the 2016 #THPTheHandCraftedExperience, the Donnie Brown Bear. A roadmap for how not endear yourself to the sponsor of a THP event.

Well...now you've set the bar. I look forward to next year...it should be good!

Wow, that is a crazy story. How did Don take it? Any feedback?

This was funny to me until I floated over myself and looked down to see a psychopath cutting the hear off a teddy bear's head. But I was pot committed at that point.

"Pot committed" explains a lot!!!!

He posted the picture of the bear and said something like "Kudos Chris". Don was great all week long.
In fact the pictures in the 1st post are from Don.

He posted the picture of the bear and said something like "Kudos Chris". Don was great all week long.

He's always been a standup guy. That bear is something else.

Sounds like it was a great experience with fun for all!!

Wow, that is definitely the ultimate creepy but well played c.a. Well played cool story too

he's a great guy and cares a lot about this event and making it a truly amazing experience for everyone involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love how you guys made this one your own and passed the torch hopefully onto next year.

This is PURE GOLD. Hahahahaha

still creepy :alien:

Back