Pros Using Clubs Outside Their Sponsorship

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I always wonder what clubs a pro would use if they weren't sponsored. Would Rory still use Nike, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson still use Taylormade, etc. Sometimes, pros use clubs outside their sponsorship which, perhaps, gives a little insight. Here are the ones I could think of off the top of my head:

Phil: Sponsor - Callaway. Used a Ping Eye 2 wedge. Also used the SLDR during the President's Cup. I have a sense Phil would be a ridiculous club ho.

Streelman: Sponsor - Wilson. In 2014, used a Ping driver, RBZ wood, Adams hybrid, and Scotty Cameron putter.

Hoffman: Sponsor - Titleist. In 2014, used an old 2006 Callaway XHot 3 wood.

They'd all game the HammerX, Warrior Irons/Hybrids and Overspin putters I'm sure. :banana:

There are not too many tour pros that have full 14 club deals.
Callaway had an XHot in 2006?

Learn something new every day. Scariest part is...I think I had that club...haha.
Back to the topic at hand, most guys have sponsors for specific things and if you check out our weekly winner WITB posts, you will see how few actually have full 14 club deals.

If I remember right, Phil used the Ping Eye 2 after the sqaure to V groove rule went into effect. Even though that wedges was much older, the spin on it was higher than anything the V groves could do at the time. He went back to Cally wedges after the PGA came to an agreement with Ping over that wedge. Also, Phil also used a Rocketballz 3 wood for a while until Callaway made their first deep/strong three wood.

It also doesn't always have to be different brands. Tiger used that sumo 3 wood for a long time before switching to a newer model.

Is Rory using all Nike gear?

I know many use those tour edge woods. Sneds uses it.

And what about balls?

Is Rory using all Nike gear?

I know many use those tour edge woods. Sneds uses it.

And what about balls?

Titleist pretty much has the ball spectrum covered. There are a few TM, Callaway, and Nike guys out there but man, Titleist owns the pro golf market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly what you asked but when watching the European tour, I seem to see a lot of odyssey putters being used.
Also saw some sr U.S. open tour bag shots and noticed a lot of mixed bags. Titelist bags w tm or ping irons. Don't see that as much on the pga tour. You do see tm bags with a mixed batch of clubs as I guess some guys have a driver or woods only deal.

Strange to be sponsored for specific clubs and not the entire bag.

Odyssey putters do seem to dominate.

Thats one of the reasons why Im such a Mizuno fan. Theres a lot of tour pros who use their products who arent sponsored by them.

Seems as if Rory and Tiger use all Nike.

What I have noticed is that Titleist bags almost always are all Titleist in some form.

also, have you guys noticed the dramatic increase in Srixon bags this year?

Learn something new every day. Scariest part is...I think I had that club...haha.
Back to the topic at hand, most guys have sponsors for specific things and if you check out our weekly winner WITB posts, you will see how few actually have full 14 club deals.

Agree. Ping was one that use to more less demand full bag deals but I'm not sure that they still do. Seems most have deals that allow them at least 3 or 4 other clubs if they choose. See a lot of mixed bags even though the players is wearing OEM clothes and using a staff bag. I know I would want "some" freedom for sure, depending on the money of course.

Also, Phil also used a Rocketballz 3 wood for a while until Callaway made their first deep/strong three wood.

Yup I remember that, the TM club was painted black. Then Callaway built him their first mini driver, the 3 deep. I bought it and it's a monster.
Also I believe Miura have made several blades for various players that are labelled as the brand that sponsors the player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I have noticed is that Titleist bags almost always are all Titleist in some form.

Definitely, all the staffers that used to play Cleveland bags now have Srixon bags (Keegan, GMac etc) and seems like Srixon has been pretty aggressive to get some new staffers on board which makes sense as this is the first time in quite a while (since they had Furyk on staff?) that they have pushed clubs in the US market.

I believe that has a lot to do with the merger of Cleveland Golf and Srixon. Not sure why there was such push on the Srixon name, but all Cleveland Staff players could technically move to the Srixon name and vise versa for the sake of argument.

Thats one of the reasons why Im such a Mizuno fan. Theres a lot of tour pros who use their products who arent sponsored by them.

Not on the PGA Tour. Maybe the Euro tour.

Agree. Ping was one that use to more less demand full bag deals but I'm not sure that they still do. Seems most have deals that allow them at least 3 or 4 other clubs if they choose. See a lot of mixed bags even though the players is wearing OEM clothes and using a staff bag. I know I would want "some" freedom for sure, depending on the money of course.

Ping requires all players to game a driver and a putter no exceptions. I think their pros are allowed (2) non-Ping clubs in the other spots.

Not on the PGA Tour. Maybe the Euro tour.
As far as I'm aware no player on the European Tour uses WS drivers or fairway woods, and only Padraig Harrington uses a WS hybrid.

Ping requires all players to game a driver and a putter no exceptions. I think their pros are allowed (2) non-Ping clubs in the other spots.

That's how I'd do it if I were a club maker, because drivers and putters are shown on TV more than anything.

Back