Pace Of Play - Is There A Resolution

Since our marshalls started tracking groups and telling them to speed up if they are behind, our pace of play has dropped over 20 min.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's like magic!!!

I hate the crutch being used of "new to the game" or "low skill level" to defend slow play. I know a ton of golfers who are rulebook knowledgeable and PAINFULLY slow. It's awful.

Bad golfers can play fast.
Good golfers can play fast.
New golfers can play fast.

They just need to be pushed towards it.

Personally i find it mind boggling that people who understand how difficult the game can be get so mad & wound up over slow play, seriously what's the rush? Unless you're the first group off, if you plan for any less than 4.25 hours you're crazy, if you go out at 10:00 as a 2 or 3'some expect it to be slow, it is what it is. Quite frankly for some people this is there time away, from family, jobs, life, so they may not be in any rush to finish.

Just last Sunday after the 4-5 holes people were jumping all over Spieth & Rose for playing slow, i mean really? I get that they are 2-some, but really they are playing at Augusta, for a Major Championship & 1.8 million dollars, if i was playing for all that, YES i would be damn sure I am 100% comfortable with what I am hitting, where I am aiming, etc.

Honestly...People just need to relax.
I disagree.
Slow play does not affect only you and your group. It affects every group behind you.
Golfers emulate the Pros - if they think it is ok for 5+ hr rounds, so be it. Most weekend golfers are not making money playing golf.
Most clubs have a time "recommendation" - amateurs need to follow that, not try to be Speith or Rose.
Educate, encourage, and enforce pace of play.

It seems pretty simple to me.

Every sport has time constraints. If you go play rec hockey/baseball/football/basketball there's a time/inning limitation associated so the people following behind them can enjoy the same experience. Within reason, golf should be no different and if courses are doing their job, will educate on ideal time of play + ranger efforts to improve pace.

It's beyond simple.

From my experience most groups play at a decent pace, where as there will be a couple groups a day which slow down an entire course. Instead of some marshallers actually addressing the situation, they typically sit in their cart and do nothing. It really comes down to a couple groups a day get pushed along, I think most would be okay with a 4.5 hr round, but it becomes a problem where you're waiting 5 minutes on every single shot.

I disagree.
Slow play does not affect only you and your group. It affects every group behind you.
Golfers emulate the Pros - if they think it is ok for 5+ hr rounds, so be it. Most weekend golfers are not making money playing golf.
Most clubs have a time "recommendation" - amateurs need to follow that, not try to be Speith or Rose.
Educate, encourage, and enforce pace of play.

Not sure where you got 5+ hours from? In my post i reference 4.25 hours as an acceptable pace.

Rose & Spieth teed off at 2:50 & were done prior to 6:50.

Not sure where you got 5+ hours from? In my post i reference 4.25 hours as an acceptable pace.

As a twosome. People see their pace and think that is how you should play, and if you play that way it will be a 5-6 hour round.

I'd definitely be interested to know what people consider the correct pace.

I tee off in a group of 4 at 1:22pm each Saturday, done by 5:15 normally. Always up the back of the group in front as they are with the next so couldnt really play any faster.

I tee off in a group of 4 at 1:22pm each Saturday, done by 5:15 normally. Always up the back of the group in front as they are with the next so couldnt really play any faster.
4 hours or less is good for me. If it's not crowded I would hope for 3:30 at the worst.

It depends on the course, but I would say 4:00 to 4:15 is normally acceptable. One course I play should be closer to 3 hours because it's relatively flat, no real trouble on the course and minimal rough. I have walked it with a 73 year old man in under 3 hours before, but somehow it still takes 4-5 hours on the weekends.

Fair enough thats my thought, 4 to 4.5 hours seems to be the average at my local and its what I've always considered reasonable pace.

The only time I get frustrated is seeing the group in front of us starting to drop off from the group before them, then you know you're being held up.

soooo educate them.
I agree. But just telling the slow golfers, "you're slow, speed it up." won't make them faster golfers over time. Offering to schedule lessons on on course time management will help. But the slow golfers have to want to speed up.
4 hours or less is good for me. If it's not crowded I would hope for 3:30 at the worst.
What if the course set a 4 hour standard? Would you complain over a 3:45 round?

As a twosome. People see their pace and think that is how you should play, and if you play that way it will be a 5-6 hour round.

well i did say "I get they were a 2-some" indicating that it was not a 4-some. But that is a good example if 2-somes going out every 10 minutes take 4 hours, how can we expect groups of 4 who are not nearly as good to play in 4 hours w/ tee times every 8-9 minutes?

at some point we have to look at the course management & how many people they are jamming on the course the maximize dollars.

One thing I do see a lot that slows down play is groups watching the person currently playing hit, then the next person considering what they want to hit, talking distance etc when they should have been considering that when the first bloke hit. That time quickly adds up. When someones hitting the others in the group should be assessing their own shot and ready to go as soon as reasonable after the shots taken.

I agree. But just telling the slow golfers, "you're slow, speed it up." won't make them faster golfers over time. Offering to schedule lessons on on course time management will help. But the slow golfers have to want to speed up.

What if the course set a 4 hour standard? Would you complain over a 3:45 round?
Probably mildly to my playing partners. If the course is empty and it's just one group holding us up. I seem to be in the minority that believes in letting faster groups through regardless of how fast you are playing. But if that is just the pace of course not.

well i did say "I get they were a 2-some" indicating that it was not a 4-some. But that is a good example if 2-somes going out every 10 minutes take 4 hours, how can we expect groups of 4 who are not nearly as good to play in 4 hours w/ tee times every 8-9 minutes?

at some point we have to look at the course management & how many people they are jamming on the course the maximize dollars.
Because we don't expect them to talk to their caddies for 3 minutes before every shot, or to spend 8 minutes on every green.

4 hours is not a tough pace to maintain if you do the simple things like use your cart correctly and play ready golf.

Probably mildly to my playing partners. If the course is empty and it's just one group holding us up. I seem to be in the minority that believes in letting faster groups through regardless of how fast you are playing. But if that is just the pace of course not.
Well if the course is empty except for those two groups, that's one thing. But peak hours, Saturday or Sunday? How about then?

I also believe that fast players need to be respectful of players who are on pace, but not as fast. I don't expect people to play at my pace.

Well if the course is empty except for those two groups, that's one thing. But peak hours, Saturday or Sunday? How about then?

I also believe that fast players need to be respectful of players who are on pace, but not as fast. I don't expect people to play at my pace.
I said I expected 4 hours, and would hope for a 3:30 when not busy, which doesn't describe peak hours.

I generally respect the pace, which seems to range from 4-4:10. I've seen a couple with 4:30 and I won't go those places as a rule.

As to the threads title I don't think there is a resolution, all you have to do is look at the slow play poll that was on here just a little while ago. 1 or 2 people out of 160ish people said they were slow, now I know we are all Internet golfers but there is your root of the problem. As most of the people that have been to an event know THP events are not immune from slow play and rather are the cause of it. I know the argument will be well people are getting to know each other and chatting but so is everyone else on the course.

I also don't buy the excuse that people are escaping their jobs, families and whatever so they should be able to play as slow as you want. That is just not common courtesy which I will say is obviously not that common. The only resolution I see is for each golfer to take it upon themselves to speed up their group one round at a time because it is a massive undertaking.

As to the threads title I don't think there is a resolution, all you have to do is look at the slow play poll that was on here just a little while ago. 1 or 2 people out of 160ish people said they were slow, now I know we are all Internet golfers but there is your root of the problem. As most of the people that have been to an event know THP events are not immune from slow play and rather are the cause of it. I know the argument will be well people are getting to know each other and chatting but so is everyone else on the course.

I also don't buy the excuse that people are escaping their jobs, families and whatever so they should be able to play as slow as you want. That is just not common courtesy which I will say is obviously not that common. The only resolution I see is for each golfer to take it upon themselves to speed up their group one round at a time because it is a massive undertaking.
I feel like the slow play at thp events gets nipped in the butt rather well. It happens at times, it is what it is.

Did not reference your stating 5+ but that is what Speith & Rose were on pace to play.

At my new club, there is a 4hr 10min pace of play statement. Twosomes should be done in under 3 hours.

I sometimes wonder if I am the cause of slow play. I stink off the tee, and I look for my ball in the desert.
I have walked with other golfers, we are done in under 3 hrs, with many of my shots in the desert, finding other balls, and getting water & snacks at the turn.
I figure that I am OK with pace. But I know the expectation is 3 hours as a twosome and 4:10 as a foursome.
Education.

Rangers? I don't remember the last course I played that had a ranger. They key is money. It is always money. $25 for 3 hours vs $50 for 4.5 hours. There are issues but some smart person could figure it out.

The solution is for people to quit being so me me me and I'm here for a good time and will take all of it I want to play attitude not only on the course but everywhere else would go a long way.

If those at the desk who checked you in made a comment about what is acceptable and what is expected plus and advised you to let the group behind through if there is room in front of you for them.

I tell my dad who is a true hack to pick it up and drop where I am and we'll play from there and his is fine with it, I have gotten my group at THP event to pick it by playing ready and mentioning we need to pick it up.

It all comes down to someone realizing there is an issue and then doing something about it

Make tee times cheaper for people playing under pace. Half price drinks at the turn for quick nine hole times. I'm sure there's something other than just do better at golf or learn how to play faster to change the motivation behind finishing up at a reasonable time.

Found the statement in our 2014/15 club booklet for those interested.

If playing a round of golf, players should arrive 15 minutes prior to tee off. Tee times are at ten (10) minute intervals, and players are expected to keep up with the group in front at all times. Time allocated for 18 holes is four and a half (4 1⁄2) hours.

SLOW PLAY
• The lowest handicapper of the match is responsible for controllingslow play and conduct of the group.
• Do not leave buggy in front of green.
• Prepare to play without delay when group in front is clear.
• On completing a hole leave the green promptly.
• Mark cards at next tee.
• The golfer with the honour, tee off then mark the card.
• Five minutes allowed to find lost ball. Call up following players if ballis not found.
• In Par and stableford rounds pick up when strokes exhausted.
• Repair all pitch marks on green.

If a group are beginners that are genuinely trying to keep up then I have all the patients in the world for them. If they are being knobs and playing 3 balls while having no respect for the game, then that gets me. Unfortunately golf has a lot of knobs that go out once a month with their friends and do that kind of thing now adays. Its up to the course, martial presence really helps in keeping the knobs in check.

Back