The one shot that got you hooked

MWard

I’ll ban you and laugh about it
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Everyone has heard or even said the saying, "that's the shot that keeps you coming back to this game" after someone either stripes one down the center, or flags an approach. So that being said, what was your shot that got you hooked on this game that turned poured gas on the fire for you?

Mine would be the first birdie I ever made. It's one of those that I don't think I'll ever forget either, a 7i to about 25ft on a par 3 and then burying a downhill right to left breaker right over the front door. Went 42-44 and also broke 90 for the first time (and kept the scorecard and ball just because). That's when the switch flipped for me and it became something a little more exciting than just a once in a while round with friends.

Anyone else have that one shot or moment where it became just something a little more special to you?

It's definitely a well struck long iron that sticks beautifully, or a long, snakey putt that you didn't expect to make...

Although sometimes it can be hitting a shot exactly how I drew it up in my mind... it makes me feel like I semi-know what I'm doing

I have a couple of shots that I remember from my first months/years in the game, but I don't know that any single shot really got me hooked. I think just going to the range and learning from my dad was what did it for me.

Sticking an iron or wedge shot tight. That always gets me pumped up and especially when it happens on the 18 hole.

Sticking an iron or wedge shot tight. That always gets me pumped up and especially when it happens on the 18 hole.

You seem to have a strong tendency to do that when you need to, if I recall from memory...

Love the answers so far guys, thank you.

You seem to have a strong tendency to do that when you need to, if I recall from memory...

Love the answers so far guys, thank you.
If only I could do it EVERY time.

If only I could do it EVERY time.

Can't always give the people what they want, gotta leave them wanting more sometimes right?

Can't always give the people what they want, gotta leave them wanting more sometimes right?
Good point. I am one for the dramatics.

Only been golfing for about 3 months now. I'm 52 and lost a bet with my 2 sons. I had to give it a try. We'll long story short, I got a birdie on a par 3 on only my 7th hole. I havent stop thinking about golf since. I'm hooked and now have the wife going out with me as well. Have played about 13 rounds in just the 3 months. Only reason it's not more is all the rain we have been having. Should have tried this years ago!!

On a normal round it's a well struck iron shot.

The shot that hooked me was my HOI

About my 10th round, I skulled a 5 iron from about 150 out for eagle on a par 5. Never got over 1 foot off the ground and if it hadn't hit the flag and gone in, it would have been over the back of the green.

The first pure 5 iron I hit on the course Still love that feeing.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

My first birdie on a par 3. Never looked back

Only been golfing for about 3 months now. I'm 52 and lost a bet with my 2 sons. I had to give it a try. We'll long story short, I got a birdie on a par 3 on only my 7th hole. I havent stop thinking about golf since. I'm hooked and now have the wife going out with me as well. Have played about 13 rounds in just the 3 months. Only reason it's not more is all the rain we have been having. Should have tried this years ago!!

7th hole?! Dude that's ridiculous, it took me a lot longer than 7 holes to knock in a birdie. That's so awesome man good for you.

Thanks! Nobody was more shocked then me. My boys we're embarrassed that I was using a driver because I couldnt hit an iron. I had NO idea what I was doing. I topped it and it only went about 150 yards bouncing on the ground right to the hole.
A 2 ft putt and I was hooked.

The next one I hit hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitching wedge from 140 to 2 inches to win a Saturday morning junior league match when I was 14.

My first and only eagle. I drove a short par 4 and made the putt. That's when I realized I could be better at this game.

First driver I ever hit.

Hole was a short par 4, 280ish. Drove it perfectly down the middle, roughly 30-40 yards remaining. Next shot was when I found out how hard golf is.....made an 8.

Back