All electronic devices banned from the sport!

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
No more GPS. No more range finders. No music while playing. Does your game really suffer? Do your scores go up? Or do see no difference what so ever?

Interesting question. I have played the last few weeks without a GPS on courses that I really know and I have seen myself score better than I ever have previously. Now on courses that I am playing for the first time not knowing accurate yardages or distances to hazards or OB would impact my ability score in a big way.

I don't think my game will change much.

I'm sure my game would somewhat suffer but not completely...it would be just like old times...

Would result in no change in my game / score at my home course. Not having a RF does make it a little more difficult at a course I am not familiar with but would not be a life and death for me. I have not problem stepping off yardages myself.

I'm thinking I would see my scores rise initially but then hopefully return to their current state once my distance-gauging skills were honed again.

I don't think it would change much. I paced my yardage off until getting GPS watch this year.

GPS & rangefinders is more of a speed thing for me. Much easier to get to your ball and know the distances to everything in a matter of seconds than having to find a yardage marker, consult the yardage book, etc. before selecting a club. Unless you're going to ban riding carts at the same time, I think this would be a detriment for normal golfers and slow the game down even more. I know that not everyone leverages tech this way, but I haven't played with anyone in a while that wasn't at least using GPS on their phone and yardage markings on some of the courses around here has become 100/150/200 for the most part with markings on some of the sprinkler heads.

You want to ban cell phone calls/texts and music, go ahead. None of it bothers me if it's handled respectfully. I actually like music while I'm playing, but would be fine without it.

All that said, I don't think my game would change much. I'm able to walk off distances pretty well and I'm not accurate enough to throw irons at exact distances anyways.

Some but not much! More important to know how far you hit each of your own clubs, in my opinion.

I can get passed the gps/range finder... The no music would suck and probably have me playing less

I grew up playing like that so after the first few rounds I think my game would be back to normal.

I think rounds for amateurs would take longer, and scores would go up.

The music might not make a difference, but I think distance measuring devices can help in a big way to speed up play. Heck I think GPS or rangefinder could go a long ways in helping speed up Tour play.

I like my arccos and my range finder - I'm sure it will be a learning curve but I could do it.

I don't know... that means no "hip hop road trip" coming from my cart... I'd probably drink more... the course wouldn't want that

I'd just miss my range finder. Have to go back to finding sprinklers and pacing off yards. Chances are, I will get lazy look for a yardage marker and ball park my distances.

My scores would probably go up a bit, with out my rangefinder I am usually off a good bit more on distance judgement.

Back to walking it out and depending on tee box and sprinkler head yardages! At first my scores may go up, but once I adjusted to the 'old school' method I'd be fine. I'm indifferent on the music so I'm good either way on that.

I think my score wouldn't change by more than a stroke or so, but would become significantly slower.

I think my shots into the green would suffer as I like knowing the exact distance to the front and back of the greens.

Pace of play would suffer. Knowing the distances is critical yo my game, so yes, I would take 3-4 minutes more per shot to determine the right club.

As long as courses would do a better job of marking fairways and tee boxes, and there would be an accurate pin sheet each day, sure, I could do it. Otherwise, you'll have to pull my rangefinder from my cold, dead, hand. So much easier to score when you don't have to always guess.

I haven't played without since adopting a gps and or rangefinder so I have no clue how it would impact scores. But I do know one thing. I play much faster knowing what club to hit. The courses I play are not marked very well. So walking around trying to find the yardage on a sprinkler head or a 150 post buried in the woods was a chore.

It wouldn't bother me a ton as long as the courses were marked well. It would probably take a bit longer to pace off yardages, but otherwise I would adapt (or devolve back to my high school days when we didn't have all these fancy gadgets)

I did play a course without my rangefinder that I wasn't familiar with this spring. My "eyeball" ranging wasn't very good and I consistently came up short on hitting greens. My score was a few strokes higher than it would have been had I had my R/F.

I normally play three courses 95% of the time and I don't really need a R/F on them although I do use one. Most of the time I just know that "from here, it's a 7 iron, etc" on most holes.

Cell phones ringing do bother me but I have to carry mine because of the possibility of family emergencies. My mother is 88 and still lives at home. My cell is always on vibrate when I'm playing.

Music doesn't bother me if it isn't too loud. It can be a relaxing factor depending on the type music. I have been known to listen to football games on Saturdays but I always keep it very low, especially around the greens.

I don't use GPS devices because at best, they are a rough approximation of distance. I've had a couple of them and to me, they are more trouble than they are worth.

JMHO's

Wouldn't hurt my game. It would make me play a bit slower, but it wouldn't break me or anything.

Back