Wilson D200 Irons Review Thread

It's not so much the sole as the thin channel transition between the sole & the face.

Ill disagree strongly on what you saw here, but will just leave it at that.

Played 36 holes today with the D200s in sloppy conditions.

Now that I've got some more time in with them now, I can confidently say that they are forgiving all over the face. I wasn't that consistent with my ball striking, but I still hit a lot of greens. My most common misses today were low on the face or toward the toe & they still generated solid distance & held the line.

I tried out the D200 irons at a local demo day today.

I hit the stock 6 iron in both reg steel and reg graphite and the 8 iron in reg steel. Overall I liked the irons. Reasonably well hit balls had a nice flight. The wind was blowing fairly strongly to my right and my typical miss is left-to-right so it was somewhat difficult to understand the ball flight. When shots went a bit to the right was it the wind or the swing? I liked the feel of the stock steel shafts better than the graphite. The graphite flight looked too high.

Right now I am using G15 irons. They are now 4 generations old replaced by G20, G25, and G30. I like the theory behind the D200 tech and think they may offer a substantial improvement over the G15s. The demo day was busy today so I was not able to hit them side by side but can compare later on a launch monitor if I'm more serious about buying.

Do you think the D200 irons will be a substantial improvement over the 5 1/2 year old Ping technology I have now?

I came back to golf last year after playing a bit as a teen in the 90s. I've been putting the work on, but still have a ways to go. I don't have an official handicap, but was scoring in the low 50's for 9 holes on a 3,000 yard / par 36 course. I need all of the help I can get. I don't want to get the D200s just to get them, but if they will be a great aid to help me get better than I am all for it.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Definite improvement? Yes. The technology is there. Will someone notice or prefer it? Will be different for everybody.

D200 forgiveness

D200 forgiveness

I tried out the D200 irons at a local demo day today.

I hit the stock 6 iron in both reg steel and reg graphite and the 8 iron in reg steel. Overall I liked the irons. Reasonably well hit balls had a nice flight. The wind was blowing fairly strongly to my right and my typical miss is left-to-right so it was somewhat difficult to understand the ball flight. When shots went a bit to the right was it the wind or the swing? I liked the feel of the stock steel shafts better than the graphite. The graphite flight looked too high.

Right now I am using G15 irons. They are now 4 generations old replaced by G20, G25, and G30. I like the theory behind the D200 tech and think they may offer a substantial improvement over the G15s. The demo day was busy today so I was not able to hit them side by side but can compare later on a launch monitor if I'm more serious about buying.

Do you think the D200 irons will be a substantial improvement over the 5 1/2 year old Ping technology I have now?

I came back to golf last year after playing a bit as a teen in the 90s. I've been putting the work on, but still have a ways to go. I don't have an official handicap, but was scoring in the low 50's for 9 holes on a 3,000 yard / par 36 course. I need all of the help I can get. I don't want to get the D200s just to get them, but if they will be a great aid to help me get better than I am all for it.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Dave, I can't speak for the G15s like JB can. I've never played them. I've always been a loyalist to the Wilson Staff irons, not so much the drivers and fairway metals. Having owned and played just about every D series (SGI) in Wilson, these D200's are incredible. I haven't had them on the course yet but I have hit them on about 5 different range sessions in the last month and the more I hit them, the more I LOVE them. They are incredibly forgiving......more forgiving than any other Wilson Staff SGI iron that I've owned.

JB, you mentioned how solid they are on the bottom grooves. I have found exactly the same thing. Today the range grass was pretty beat up and almost all the shots that I hit were really tight lies. These D200's performed perfectly from those lies. For a cast club, these seem really soft. My D200 set has the UST Elements Chrome. JB, VERY good package like you mentioned previously in this thread. These are tremendous irons. They make me look good and I'm not that good.

I wish I could say the same thing about the D200 driver. Not impressed with it but that's a subject for the D200 driver thread.

Back to these D200 irons.....one of the best purchases I've ever made on clubs and I've made a bunch.

Hope this helps Dave. I recommend that you see if you can demo these D200's before you decide on continuing with the G15's. Just give them a try. I honestly believe Wilson has a real winner here in the D200.

I've played the G15 and hit the D200 in my fitting recently. The D200 is going to be longer for sure. I loved the G15s and played some of my best golf with them, so we're i to go SGI I would probably go G30 for familiarity. But, the D200 are definitely an improvement tech-wise over the G15. Thinner face, more distance, and more importantly consistent distance. Which I think is where the improvement in that class of irons has been lately.

Congrats to ogiebogie!

I have a couple more observations -- it appears the Wilson Staff irons:

a) are spec'd with a longer physical length than others, looks about 1/2" longer than Ping and Taylormade for equivalent clubs
example: D200 8-iron 35° 37", Karsten 8-iron 35° 36.5", Speedblade 34.5° 36.5"

b) have a different gapping strategy in the shorter irons
example: D200 4° gap from 7i to GW, Karsten 4.5° 7i to 8i, 5° through rest of set, Speedblade 4° 7i to 8i, 5° 8i to 9i, 5.5° 9 to PW

Any comments on this? Have longer iron lengths had any effect on your game -- or did you custom fit your clubs any shorter? Do your irons from maybe 8 iron to the gap wedge have sufficient gapping to allow you to target distances?

Dave

Congrats to ogiebogie!

I have a couple more observations -- it appears the Wilson Staff irons:

a) are spec'd with a longer physical length than others, looks about 1/2" longer than Ping and Taylormade for equivalent clubs
example: D200 8-iron 35° 37", Karsten 8-iron 35° 36.5", Speedblade 34.5° 36.5"

b) have a different gapping strategy in the shorter irons
example: D200 4° gap from 7i to GW, Karsten 4.5° 7i to 8i, 5° through rest of set, Speedblade 4° 7i to 8i, 5° 8i to 9i, 5.5° 9 to PW

Any comments on this? Have longer iron lengths had any effect on your game -- or did you custom fit your clubs any shorter? Do your irons from maybe 8 iron to the gap wedge have sufficient gapping to allow you to target distances?

Dave

I was off base on the physical length. Side by side they compare well versus the Ping G25 for example. The shaft must go farther into the iron head?

Lofts may require an extra wedge, but probably not a big deal.

Dave

i havent received them yet maybe by the end of the week. i did test them out a couple times and just loved them so i said screw it im ordering them i will give more info once i get them.

I was off base on the physical length. Side by side they compare well versus the Ping G25 for example. The shaft must go farther into the iron head?

Lofts may require an extra wedge, but probably not a big deal.

Dave

Wilson D200

Wilson D200

i havent received them yet maybe by the end of the week. i did test them out a couple times and just loved them so i said screw it im ordering them i will give more info once i get them.

Ogie,
I've just played my first two rounds with the D200 irons and I can tell you that you won't be disappointed. They are awesome irons. Last year I played the D100's and I thought they were really good. These D200's blow the D100's away. As JB stated earlier in this thread, the D200 is a completely different club. I bag the D200's with the UST Element Chrome shafts and they are incredible. They are incredibly forgiving especially on thin shots. Even off the toe, they fly almost as far as a flush shot. I'm pretty particular about the irons that I play and these will be in my bag for a LONG time. I think they look good and more important, they make me look good.

Let us know how you do with them.

I love the D100s. Don't make me go spend even more money now :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These have piqued my interest, mainly due to the fact that they seem like a worthy successor to the venerable DI-11's, but also because I am a hopeless W/S homer. I'll be happy to put them to the test, if I can find any to try here in the boonies.

I hit these last night at the GS every shot felt pretty good and very consistent distances. I'm thinking about it.

I hit these last night at the GS every shot felt pretty good and very consistent distances. I'm thinking about it.

Solid irons for sure. Up until #TheGrandaddy bag was set, this was my set and I enjoyed the heck out of them.

These have piqued my interest, mainly due to the fact that they seem like a worthy successor to the venerable DI-11's, but also because I am a hopeless W/S homer. I'll be happy to put them to the test, if I can find any to try here in the boonies.

I had the Di11s and am now on the D100s. To me, there was definitely a move up in forgiveness, especially on fat shots which is my big miss. I can only imagine the increase in playability from the Di11s to the D200s.

Solid irons for sure. Up until #TheGrandaddy bag was set, this was my set and I enjoyed the heck out of them.

I also toyed with the Callaway xr. Those were really long. 180 carry 7 iron vs 160. Not sure how this could be, btw. Not as consistent though.

I had the Di11s and am now on the D100s. To me, there was definitely a move up in forgiveness, especially on fat shots which is my big miss. I can only imagine the increase in playability from the Di11s to the D200s.

And with the D200s, came a complete makeover in the iron, specifically the sole design.

And with the D200s, came a complete makeover in the iron, specifically the sole design.

I read your review comments, along with others, about how much of a difference there is between the D100 and D200. Makes me wish I had waited a bit longer to pull the trigger. W/S just keeps on getting better right across all of their products.

I read your review comments, along with others, about how much of a difference there is between the D100 and D200. Makes me wish I had waited a bit longer to pull the trigger. W/S just keeps on getting better right across all of their products.

I thought the D100s were good. A small evolution over the previous line. I think the D200s are great. What I will say however is that they are VERY different. Some might like them less, but I think most will like them more. Very unique tech.

Which shafts did you have in them? I am concerned these might launch too high for me with C Taper Lites.

Which shafts did you have in them? I am concerned these might launch too high for me with C Taper Lites.

Matrix Program

Back