Forgiving Driver for the Dreaded Toe Hook?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
My miss is the dreaded toe hook, especially with driver. There are a myriad of reasons for my toe hook (tempo, path, turn, etc.) that I am working hard to fix. (Frankly, my obsession with fixing this swing flaw is probably hurting the rest of my game. But I digress.) Ultimately, I am well aware that my swing flaws, not the driver, are causing my miss.

That being said, I'm guessing there are drivers that are more forgiving on the toe than others? My swing speed is about 100 - 105 with the occasional steroid swing in the 108 - 110 range. I need medium launch but lower spin. I find many "forgiving" drivers (G20, Bio Cell for example) spin too much. That being said, the lower spin drivers (SLDR is an example) are equal parts bombers/knuckleballers depending on where I hit it on the face. At my course, a knuckleball generally means OB and round-killer.

Lastly, I'd prefer to stay married so am avoiding the "new" (e.g. $400) section of drivers...:beat-up:

Thanks for any input!

If there's such a thing, I'd buy one too.
Maybe look for a low torque shaft, stiffer tip, etc...? Maybe an adjustable driver that you can open the face, put weight on the toe, etc.
Couldn't tell you.

My miss is the dreaded toe hook, especially with driver. There are a myriad of reasons for my toe hook (tempo, path, turn, etc.) that I am working hard to fix. (Frankly, my obsession with fixing this swing flaw is probably hurting the rest of my game. But I digress.) Ultimately, I am well aware that my swing flaws, not the driver, are causing my miss.

That being said, I'm guessing there are drivers that are more forgiving on the toe than others? My swing speed is about 100 - 105 with the occasional steroid swing in the 108 - 110 range. I need medium launch but lower spin. I find many "forgiving" drivers (G20, Bio Cell for example) spin too much. That being said, the lower spin drivers (SLDR is an example) are equal parts bombers/knuckleballers depending on where I hit it on the face. At my course, a knuckleball generally means OB and round-killer.

Lastly, I'd prefer to stay married so am avoiding the "new" (e.g. $400) section of drivers...:beat-up:

Thanks for any input!

I find a lot of the newer "lower spin" Cobra heads are really, really good off the toe. I have a bio cell plus and a fly z plus that are very forgiving on the toe. Find a legit retailer on eBay and you can get the BC+ for $120-150 new with red tie shaft. The fly Z+ models can be had in the $275-$299 new range from legit sellers on eBay.

I find a lot of the newer "lower spin" Cobra heads are really, really good off the toe. I have a bio cell plus and a fly z plus that are very forgiving on the toe. Find a legit retailer on eBay and you can get the BC+ for $120-150 new with red tie shaft. The fly Z+ models can be had in the $275-$299 new range from legit sellers on eBay.

I SO wanted the Bio Cell Plus to work for me because it is an absolutely beautiful driver. It was just too low spin for me. If I could get something in between the Bio Cell and the Bio Cell Plus, that would be perfect...:D

Jon, I struggle with this miss as well. And I can tell you that there is no magic bean that will kill that miss entirely, but there are some heads and shafts that seem to limit the damage better than others, at least for me. Adjustability (particularly the availability of open face settings) is a great thing as well.

Good:
Titleist drivers (they have 1* open settings on the SureFit adapter)
Vapor Pro (same thing, there are open settings for every loft)
Mid/low and low/low shafts (Rogue Silver, Whiteboard, etc.)

All those things have limited the big hooks for me. Not sure if at all helpful, but that's my 2 Lincolns.

Taylormade r1

I've lived out on the toe since December; and my Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 has been real solid for me.

I know you want to avoid "new," but there will be some used out there and I can't imagine they won't pop up on callaway preowned sooner than later.

XR is super forgiving on the toe and is only $350...

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Wilson Staff D200. Overall a very forgiving driver and brand new is $299

I SO wanted the Bio Cell Plus to work for me because it is an absolutely beautiful driver. It was just too low spin for me. If I could get something in between the Bio Cell and the Bio Cell Plus, that would be perfect...:D

Correct sir! So pretty. Especially my custom lab "Darth Vader" plus, with Red light saber attached (original Matrix Red Tie). Well, if the Bio cell Plus was too low spin for you, I'd stay away from the flyz+. It seems to be a little lower in spin, per my experience. Good luck!

fd7adaca374efa8fbfa461efea85ebf1_zpsnnnua1ek.jpg

Anyone know whether the G25 or Anser might fit the bill? Or what about a Bertha but with the Tour Green shaft to bring the spin down? (I'm just spit-ballin')

I can have a similar miss and would recommend the 815. Would also recommend trimming length a bit shorter than standard to help alleviate the miss some.

XR is super forgiving on the toe and is only $350...

Agree, but the best money you could spend is on professional help fixing the swing. You can not buy a better game.

Forgiving Driver for the Dreaded Toe Hook?

Thus isn't my normal miss but when I did hit it on the toe the R1 was great. It produced a medium height controlled draw. - AKA fairway finder.

If you want to try the R1 send me a PM - my R1 Black and it's two different stock shafts are collecting dust. I'll send it to you for a trial run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend and I are along really well with the Grenade. Can be had on 20% off days for $240 new

r1 is a great driver, though spin may be a bit low. can always find a good shaft to help with that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct sir! So pretty. Especially my custom lab "Darth Vader" plus, with Red light saber attached (original Matrix Red Tie). Well, if the Bio cell Plus was too low spin for you, I'd stay away from the flyz+. It seems to be a little lower in spin, per my experience. Good luck!

fd7adaca374efa8fbfa461efea85ebf1_zpsnnnua1ek.jpg

This is driver is sweet...!!!

matt paint but where did you get the front piece with the cobra logo...?

Looks like he had one originally with the black border and left it unchanged while having matte put over the white inside the border. The outer border has the logo there stock.

I know you are looking for a driver, but have you tried setting up with the ball closer to the heel at address, rather than right in the center (especially if you sole the club at address)?

When my toe hook problem creeps in I normally switch to my backup driver shaft. It's cut down to 44" and that makes the lie angle on my driver a little less upright. This really helps with keeping the right to left spin to a controllable amount when I miss hit on the toe.

I also find driver heads with more bulge and roll on the face to minimize the amount of movement I get on the shot when hitting on the toe. You get more of a push draw ball flight from the gear affect.

For me the Callaway BB Alpha 815 and the PING G25/i25/Anser line give me the miss I want.

Direct order from Cobra through their design lab. Their design lab for bio cell plus drivers is still up on the cobra website, as of two weeks ago. Can choose from black or white heads, and various color crowns, designs, and shafts.

I know you are looking for a driver, but have you tried setting up with the ball closer to the heel at address, rather than right in the center (especially if you sole the club at address)?

This is dangerous for me as it tends to cause heel knockers, but I'll open it up a touch at address if I can't miss left. Usually works pretty well.

I would look at a heavier shaft with lower torque. I suffer from the same miss and that is what worked for me.

I have been suffering with the same thing the last few weeks after reworking my swing to cure a right push. I have a ping G20 with the tour shaft( 169 i think), i am not sure how torque that is so if anyone can let us know please do, but this driver seems to be solving my issue better than any driver i have. And I HAVE ALOT OF DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep coming back to the G20 so it may be worth a look.

Back