Create Your Own Project X Shaft - #TheHandCraftedExperience THP Event

Anyone going bold with shaft color? What is it that you most look forward to seeing? Is lighter weight faster club head speed more important than consistent shot patterns for anyone?

Faster club head for me with something slightly lighter does not equal less consistency, due to a number of things, so I am going with that. Somewhere in the mid 50s to low 60s. It will be green and white without a doubt.

Faster club head for me with something slightly lighter does not equal less consistency, due to a number of things, so I am going with that. Somewhere in the mid 50s to low 60s. It will be green and white without a doubt.
Ha! Green and white is bold! Because you have the be bold to be different! Nicely played brother. As far as lighter being less consistent is very true with the technology present. I guess for me I'm still stuck in a mindset of pre 2001ish.

Ha! Green and white is bold! Because you have the be bold to be different! Nicely played brother. As far as lighter being less consistent is very true with the technology present. I guess for me I'm still stuck in a mindset of pre 2001ish.

That was a good year...From what I remember.

Anyone going bold with shaft color? What is it that you most look forward to seeing? Is lighter weight faster club head speed more important than consistent shot patterns for anyone?
I'm looking forward to working with these shaft experts that will know which direction to tweak my shaft for maximum benefit. I'll be going with whatever they recommend.

As far as color, I'm not one to shy away from bold and bright, so depending on color options and limitations I might go that direction. Maybe a white base or gold base if available.

I'll be going darker and muted but that's just my style. I really don't have a weight preference. I normally fit into 60-70g but I'll trust the club experts. If they can make a 50g feel right and improve my distance, I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm thinking white for shaft color (some may say that's bold), my design is going to be bold. So much so that I'll be sending DB TT a pic of what I'm planning once I'm done with it to see if it's possible to do. I'm really excited about designing every part of this shaft. I'm definitely interested to see how I can maximize my consistency with a shaft somewhere in the mid 50's weight wise.

My color palate is most likely going to green and gold. Not sure how loud it will be but I like the combo. I am definitely willing to experiment with a lighter shaft in hopes of gaining a few yards. I have been much straight er recently and a adding yards could really help out. I was thinking in the 50g range for myself. In the past I have done well with light but can suffer from ballooning. So if we can figure out a way to keep the launch lower with a lighter weight then I am all in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am hoping for a metallic light blue with a light green (either metallic or muted) candy cane pattern.

Looking at weight - I seem to do well with driver shafts right around 66g w Torque in the "mid" (3.2) range, I think. This is based on the specs of three other driver shafts that I own or really enjoyed swinging (FlyZ, WS D200, Bridgestone J815 that JB brought to B'stoneU and Olde Stonewall).

Color wise I'm thinking some kind of slightly metallic base color, with some maroon and orange details and of course sneaking a THP logo on there :D

For weight, like JB somewhere in the 55 to 65 grams usually seems to be a good balance of speed and precision for me. But I'll let the experts decide what works best in the end!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've been looking around at a lot of shaft designs and I really like some of the artwork on the Miyazaki shafts. Some kinda of navy something :)
miyazaki-kusala.jpg

I mentioned before that I plan to have "Dr Hump" on my shaft since I'll be finishing my PhD. Part of me wants to go with a cartooney camel/night desert something.

Oh yeah, their designs are awesome looking.

Also, Dr Hump...LOL :laughing:

Yo JB, when's the next step coming for this awesome outing? I know we're all chomping at the bit for some more info :D

Yo JB, when's the next step coming for this awesome outing? I know we're all chomping at the bit for some more info :D

He is traveling to Ohio for the CURE event I think? I would bet after the event we get some more info on whats up coming for this.

He is traveling to Ohio for the CURE event I think? I would bet after the event we get some more info on whats up coming for this.

Cool. I NEED something to pass my time while waiting for this. I literally think about this trip all day, every day.

1. It's going to be so cool to get the custom shaft for our driver and hang out with the Project X people
2. I have 2 kids under 2 and haven't had a real vacation in a LONG time
3. Torrey Pines!

Me too dude. I am so damned excited!

I'm sure something is coming down the pipe :D

Cool. I NEED something to pass my time while waiting for this. I literally think about this trip all day, every day.

1. It's going to be so cool to get the custom shaft for our driver and hang out with the Project X people
2. I have 2 kids under 2 and haven't had a real vacation in a LONG time
3. Torrey Pines!

I have a 20 month old so I know the feeling man. Cant wait to hangout with everyone and get to work on this shaft. I have changed my mind about 5 times on my design and colors but have finally come close to a workable design that should look awesome.

Thank you...I am traveling and there is a THP Event this weekend.
Shaft process will began soon and I will be in Memphis at True Temper this coming week.

Thanks for the update JB.

Thank you...I am traveling and there is a THP Event this weekend.
Shaft process will began soon and I will be in Memphis at True Temper this coming week.

My neck of the woods! There are some great courses around.

Do your best to go to the Rendevous downtown. Best BBQ in Memphis.

Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So JB has been to TrueTemper....Expects good things me does.

Now just gotta wait for the test shaft. :bulgy-eyes:

Last edited:
Apparently my name was randomly drawn as an alternate and as of yesterday I'm going to this event! Thankfully the missus loves San Diego and we have some Sea World passes to use so I got the okay immediately. I have very strong opinions on what I think a shaft should look like but now that I'm facing the prospect of designing my own I've drawn a complete blank. I really like the look of the Fujikura Pro 63 TS, the way a black shaft looks in the 815 Alpha head and if they put a loud, large Project X on the shaft might be a nice thank you for the event as I'm sure it will attract a lot of attention and questions. But I also like white shafts and metallic looking ones as well. I know I'm going to ruin mine!

Apparently my name was randomly drawn as an alternate and as of yesterday I'm going to this event! Thankfully the missus loves San Diego and we have some Sea World passes to use so I got the okay immediately. I have very strong opinions on what I think a shaft should look like but now that I'm facing the prospect of designing my own I've drawn a complete blank. I really like the look of the Fujikura Pro 63 TS, the way a black shaft looks in the 815 Alpha head and if they put a loud, large Project X on the shaft might be a nice thank you for the event as I'm sure it will attract a lot of attention and questions. But I also like white shafts and metallic looking ones as well. I know I'm going to ruin mine!
Congrats. Are you replacing a fellow THPer or an addition to the group?

Awesome Galen!!! This event is going to be amazing. We should be getting the test shafts in the two weeks I believe to get the ball rolling.

Congrats. Are you replacing a fellow THPer or an addition to the group?

He's replacing me.

Sadly, the finalized calendar for the school year came out and as a teacher I just can't miss the first two days of the year, even with it likely being my last year, I just cannot do that as its not right and I know it. Plus, my dad and sister will be in state then, so its best I stay here and take care of things at home. Kills me, because the awesome that is going to happen in this one will warp minds, but being an adult sucks sometimes.

Congrats Galen! Have a blast!

Thanks!

I was told a spot opened up and I was randomly drawn from the waiting list. I live in L.A., have been pondering driver shafts, love craft beer and San Diego so I jumped on the chance.

Back