Getting your kid started in golf

U.S. Kids Golf

Reaction score
It's probably the most-often asked question our Certified Coaches get. Here are some great thoughts on "How to get your child interested/started in golf" from one of the nation's top golf instructors that every parent of a future golfer should read. (Click on link)

mag-1_zpskmf76sdq.jpg

Very good article and 1 I desperately needed to read.

While I could have guessed #2-#4, I would have never guessed #1 but it makes COMPLETE sense

Very good article. I plan on getting my 6 year old daughter into golf this year and I will definitely follow those tips. It's going to be hard to leave when she is having the most fun though.

Great article and some good points there, not sure I would have thought about #1, but it kind of makes sense I guess.

Solid article. I definitely just make sure my soon to be 5 year old has fun at the course, whether he's swinging a club or not, I just try to make the golf course a happy place for him.

~Rock

Great article, thank you for sharing. I needed to hear #1.

This is really well done and glad US Kids has made it easy.

I never ever would have thought of #1, but it makes sense. Have the last memory of the time be something positive!

Makes a lot of sense. Never would have thought about #1.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

#1 is interesting. I watch my 10 yr old and sense his mood, look at his swing. I know he's ready to leave before he knows it, and suggest we get something to eat or drink at home or store.

I get him into a summer camp with other kids - there is not much instruction, but a lot of kids are around and they do compete and have fun with it.

I get him personal instruction from an instructor he likes and where I sense progress.

Did not force him into it. Started going to the course when he was 3 with a whippy club. Interest was off and on, he got into video games and was more interested in that activity until 3 months ago when I put him in a 2 hr weekly lesson with other kids - it wasn't serious stuff, but after 2 months he said that he wanted more instruction, wanted to be a pro golfer. I was not going to dissuade him from a goal.

About that time, we played a week visiting my older son who is a player. After that, he asked if he could be better than his brother. I said, "yes, but it depends on whether you will put in some practice with playing on the course. He loves to play on the course but doesn't like the range, at least until recently when I found him hitting chip after chip after chip like a machine gun. I asked him to pretend as if each shot counts... lol... as if he is competing with someone else.

I gave him 6 hrs of private lessons for his birthday - the instructor and he spent not only time at the range but much of the time on the course together.

Clubs are another key - OEM clubs were heavy, shafts were not great, and they have insufficient options. US Kids has more options and the clubs work. I bought some Winn Junior grips - soft - regripped the US Kids Clubs and he is enjoying the game.

Great article! And I'm another who never even considered #1 but that does make a lot of sense. When I go out with my 10yo, we never keep score and if there's no one behind us, we'll play some putting and chipping games to keep things interesting. But we definitely have a lot of fun no matter what.

Very good article. Thanks for posting.

Such a great article. Never thought about #1, but after I read that I do now. Time to implement that a bit when we go out.

My 13 year old loves to keep score because he always wants to beat me on holes. Of course his 3 swings off the tee, 3 swings from the fairway and 3 putts show up as a 5 on his scorecard but as long as he is having fun I don't care. If he "beats" me on a hole I high 5 him and tell him good job. As long as he is having fun then i'm having fun. The last thing I want to do is make the game "hard" and discourage him.

He has lost his passion for the game this season and really hasn't wanted to go out. I don't force him and just wait for him to come back around and want to play. Right now Xbox live is what he wants to do with his friends. He doesn't want them over to "play", he'd rather just play with them online. They feel the same. I guess it's just a sign of the times. His time online is limited but i'm not going to punish him by not playing Xbox and make him go golfing instead. He has household chores instead!

Last edited:
Back