Project X

Thread: Forward Putter Grips review

Mini Tour Player Ryan Loves Golf's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks

Forward Putter Grips review

I don't think there is a review for this grip so....

I just got this grip installed on my putter last week. Not a lot of time but I wanted to share my experience with you as I think it is an excellent product and just what I have been looking for in a putter grip.

Just a little bit about my putter and my putting.
    To be honest there is still a lot to be desired with my putting, but I have been putting better since I was custom fit to an Edel E-1. I had much better distance control and aim. Only problem I had was with my grip and stroke where sometimes during the stroke I would not be able to keep the putter from slightly “swaying” in my hands (the putter head moving outside of my comfortable swing arc when I gripped the putter lightly).
    This forced me to grip the putter tight, especially on longer putts and I tend to miss the middle of the face when I do this. I have always had this problem with all of my putters, regardless of the grips I have tried on my putter - Pingman grip, Edel round grip, Superstroke Slim 3.0 - and all the others I demo’d at the stores.

Enter the Forward Putter Grip

I read about this grip online by complete chance, but the reviewer’s description sounded like exactly what I felt I was missing. It is relatively inexpensive - in line with Superstroke prices - so I decided to take a blind plunge, and boy I am glad I did!
    It has eliminated any gap between my hand and the grip - it “falls” comfortably into my palm and stays there. I can grip as lightly as I want and the built in design automatically aligns the shaft and my forearms - this is also a key benefit of this design, and the main difference for me compared to other “jumbo” sized grips.
    I don’t have large hands, so when I tried grips larger than Slim 3.0, the size of the grips started to feel awkward, and ultimately led to straining to hold the putter in other areas of my hand - which became inconsistent, or my lead wrist would break excessively during the stroke.
    Hope the pictures illustrate what I mean by eliminating gaps and filling my hand comfortably…

Feel

Softness is very similar to a Superstroke grip, but the texture feels tackier. Tackiness is not something I would need in a putting stroke, but does seem to aid in giving me the confidence to hold the grip lightly. No complaints.

Performance - for me

I feel much more comfortable holding a putter than ever before. The wrists don’t break during the putting stroke, even when I grip the club lightly and I believe this will give me more feel and touch as I use it even more. Most importantly, I strike on or close to the sweet spot of my putter more consistently regardless of the length of the putt. In short, I love this grip and finally feel I am completely set with my putter.

Other bits and pieces

I use the reverse overlap grip, but I found it equally comfortable with left hand low. But I am not sure if this would be a good fit if you were using other types of methods as it is a v-shaped grip.
    Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the size and shape of the grip.

Manufacturer Specs

• Unique shape & tapered design calms the hands
    • Minimizes tension required to hold the grip
    • Great feel and tackiness
    • Fits standard shaft sizes: .58″ and .60″
    • Standard installation with grip tape & solvent
    • Lightweight (70g +/- 3g)
    • Approved: conforms with USGA Rules
    www.forwardgolfgrips.com
    Last edited by Ryan Loves Golf; 10-20-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    WITB
    Driver: King LTD, HZRDUS 6.0
    3wood: King LTD, Aldila Rogue Black 95 Stiff
    5wood: F6 Baffler, HZRDUS 6.0
    Hybrid: RomaRo Ray Type R 21 degree, Veylix Rome 988 Stiff
    Irons: RomaRo Ray V Forged Type R 5-PW, UST Recoil Proto 110 Stiff
    Wedges: :Edel 60, 55, 50 UST High Spin Proto
    Putter: Edel E-1 Torque Balanced, custom fit

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Loves Golf For This Useful Post:

IceyShanks (10-17-2016),Smallville (10-17-2016)

Handicap
    In Flux
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,510 Times in 8,625 Posts
    That's a pretty big grip, and one I probably would have tried before trying out a non tapered putter grip. A lot of your findings were in line with when I used the Winn Jumbo Crown grip.
    Angry Mod
    #EmbraceTheFade
    #ThisCouldBeYou
    #ChangeTheGame

Callaway Razr X 4 and 5 hybrids
    Adams a12OS 6 hybrid
    Callaway XR irons 7-AW
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 wedge
    Odyssey Metal-X #7 putter
    Wilson Staff Duo Soft ball
    Golflogix-8 GPS | Bushnell Pro 1M Slope Edition Laser Rangefinder
    Still using the Greensaver divot repair tool.

"It's not so important who starts the game, but who finishes it." - - - John Wooden

Mini Tour Player Ryan Loves Golf's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
    That's a pretty big grip, and one I probably would have tried before trying out a non tapered putter grip. A lot of your findings were in line with when I used the Winn Jumbo Crown grip.
    I think I tried those several years ago as well. They were big, probably similar size, but I believe the shaft goes in through the middle of the grip.
    In the Forward putter grip, the shaft goes in the bottom part of the grip, where you see the little hole from the top is the center of the shaft.
    The meaty part of the grip is "forward" of the shaft which helped me maintain lie angle and keep the shaft in line with my forearms.
    WITB
    Driver: King LTD, HZRDUS 6.0
    3wood: King LTD, Aldila Rogue Black 95 Stiff
    5wood: F6 Baffler, HZRDUS 6.0
    Hybrid: RomaRo Ray Type R 21 degree, Veylix Rome 988 Stiff
    Irons: RomaRo Ray V Forged Type R 5-PW, UST Recoil Proto 110 Stiff
    Wedges: :Edel 60, 55, 50 UST High Spin Proto
    Putter: Edel E-1 Torque Balanced, custom fit