How Often to Practice and Play to Get Better?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
It looks like I'll be missing out on golf this week due to work and weather.

Might as well ask - how often do you think you need to be on the course and range a week to keep improving?

From what I observed from other guys, to play golf at leat twice a week to keep improving, a schedule which I find hard to attain these days.

When I played my best I ranged 4 times a week, practice played once, and played for real twice.

I actually don't hit the range much. I find I improve on the course better. I wish i had more time. I'd rather play than practice. Range 2 times a week. Play 4 would be ideal for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really interested to hearing thoughts on this too. i've always had the mindset that *what* you are practicing is more important than *how often* - though repetition is important too.

really interested to hearing thoughts on this too. i've always had the mindset that *what* you are practicing is more important than *how often* - though repetition is important too.

I think that's true but personally I apply on the fly Hahahaha. I find too much range time actually has an adverse effect on me personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like I'll be missing out on golf this week due to work and weather.

Might as well ask - how often do you think you need to be on the course and range a week to keep improving?

From what I observed from other guys, to play golf at leat twice a week to keep improving, a schedule which I find hard to attain these days.

2 Rounds per week. 1 range session mid-week to work on things. Ideally would play 3 rounds, but that's a lot for me right now with time commitments.

When I took lessons my instructor asked if I had a place just to make swings to work on drills. I have a hitting net in my backyard now that I use regularly and my ball striking has never been better with my irons. The more reps the better. I'm sure the range is way better than a net but you have to find the time to get the swings in and this was my best option.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Improvement in golf is few time a week commitment. And the commitment needs to be correct and with purpose. Just playing won't improve your game that much.

If I can range 2X a week and play 1-2X I think that would be ideal for me

2-3 range sessions a week and 2-3 rounds a month.

I try to practice daily, even if just hitting a few chips and putting. I don't have as much time for playing. 1 good round on the weekend and a twilight session on a weeknight. I'm getting better.

I play twice a week, practice wedge shots maybe once per week. I basically never range (don't have one), and I rarely work on my full swing.

That said, I'm not going to say I'm improving, but I'm certainly holding steady.

~Rock

At my best, I was on the range at least an hour, 4 days a week, I was on the practice green at least twice a week for a minimum of a half hour, and I was playing 2 18 hole rounds a week minimum. At that time, I had my handicap down to 0.8.

Everyone is different, so do what you feel suits you

Personally I used to hit balls once a week on a Sunday, whether that was on the course or at the range

Lately that has changed to twice a week as I will go practice short game/putting while Jen is having her lesson on a Saturday morning and then I will have my usual range time or round on a Sunday

Working the hours I do does not allow for much more than that, but even that limited golf time sees me shooting low to mid-80s on a regular basis

I practice with intent once a week and usually play three times a week when my wife is not an issue!

I'd rather play than be on the range, although I used to be a range rat and it wasn't very helpful. These days I go to the range if I can't play or I need to work on something.

I try to play on the course twice a week. I dont mind play alone here and there so I can practice my shots. I found that is far better than practice on the range.

2-3 range sessions a week and 2-3 rounds a month.
This is the model I'm trying to follow. It's difficult for me to get much more than that golf in.

Very seldom doing practice at driving range ...... I go straight to golf course and play. Once a week.

Back