2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First work sets of deadlifts in a long time. It feels good.

I've been hesitant about posting in this thread. The time has come though and change is necessary.

I was overweight already. I had lost some but I was still overweight. My wife and I had started running and eating much healthier, life was going good. Almost exactly a year ago however I quit smoking after 25 years. Along with that came an extra 30 pounds. I'm only 5'6 and a half so 30 pounds on my body is significant. I'm now at 226.6 . The highest I've ever been by about ten pounds.

So I'm 38 with 4 kids(two young) and a 5th on the way. I have high blood pressure, I can't walk a full 18 without being destroyed and I'm as overweight as my body can handle. At this point I feel like there is a major health crisis in my near future(5 years) .

So I'm starting now and I'd like to join the thread, because I need some support.

I will weigh 165 pounds. I will stop drinking soda. I will stop eating processed foods. I will be able to run at 70% for a mile and I will do bodyweight exercises to gain strength.

Lastly I will gain flexibility. My hamstrings are so tight it affects my calf, achilles and lower back.

So it's late in the year but I would like to start off in the 2015 thread!

I've been hesitant about posting in this thread. The time has come though and change is necessary.

I was overweight already. I had lost some but I was still overweight. My wife and I had started running and eating much healthier, life was going good. Almost exactly a year ago however I quit smoking after 25 years. Along with that came an extra 30 pounds. I'm only 5'6 and a half so 30 pounds on my body is significant. I'm now at 226.6 . The highest I've ever been by about ten pounds.

So I'm 38 with 4 kids(two young) and a 5th on the way. I have high blood pressure, I can't walk a full 18 without being destroyed and I'm as overweight as my body can handle. At this point I feel like there is a major health crisis in my near future(5 years) .

So I'm starting now and I'd like to join the thread, because I need some support.

I will weigh 165 pounds. I will stop drinking soda. I will stop eating processed foods. I will be able to run at 70% for a mile and I will do bodyweight exercises to gain strength.

Lastly I will gain flexibility. My hamstrings are so tight it affects my calf, achilles and lower back.

Sounds like you've got a plan, and that's the #1 thing - stick to that and you'll get there. Good luck!

Get the HBP treated. Lisinopril is a very common RX medication and you can get it cheap ($5 at Costco for a month). Also, take a low dose aspirin (82mg) every day. Heart attacks are not caused by a slow buildup of plaque but usually when the plaque breaks off causing slight bleeding which then clots to cause the blockage. Aspirin is a blood thinner. Everyone over 40 should be taking an 82mg aspirin daily. Get your cholesterol checked if you haven't already. There a some great drugs for that.

I would recommend getting the myfitnesspal app. It is free and you can track what you eat. Don't worry so much of being under your calories for the day as much as watching where they are coming from and cut that stuff out (or at least down). It's all right every now and then to eat something not good for you but the app will get you thinking for this many calories I could have this unhealthy choice or this much healthier choice (which generally gives you more quantity). Make you main goal feeling better, not what the scale says. You can be more healthy without dropping weight but the pounds will come off as well. I'd recommend getting a fitbit which will interface with myfitnesspal. The fitbit is a step counter (mine will also monitor sleep). You can get one that also monitors heart rate. Generally you want to walk 10,000 steps per day (5 miles). I don't do it everyday but bust the heck out of it on weekends. Try to take at least a 3 mile walk 3-4 times per week. If you need more support I've heard Weight Watchers is great. They have their own system (points rather than calories but my gf did this - she wasn't even fat but a foot problem stopped her from running - and she lost 15 pounds. Now she's skinny.

Weight training, I'm told, drops weight quicker than cardio but be careful doing that with your HBP issues. I am more of a cardio guy though now that is walking at a brisk pace rather than running. In fact I would recommend talking with your doctor before dramatically increasing your exercise if you haven't as of yet.

Cut out the soda. Gatorade only when you are on the course (alternating with water) or after a workout. If you're like me and don't really like water find some infused water for flavor. It won't be as sweet as soda but it has enough taste for me. You can also buy drops to put in a bottle of water for flavor. I love a good Coca Cola and I won't drink diet so every now and then feel free to treat yourself to one, but just not everyday. Make it a reward if you really can't cut it out completely. Water is very helpful in losing weight. At your weight you can drop weight pretty quickly early on just by changing you eating habits and increasing your exercise. I expect the first 30 will come off quickly if you stick with it. The closer you get to your goal weight the slower you will drop.

Don't be in a hurry to drop pounds. Slow and steady is the best. Don't feel that you have to eat only rabbit food either. Exercise for me makes my appetite less rather than more. Remember it takes 21 days to create a new habit, in your case eating healthier.

I'm not a big fan of running. It is hard on your body. I know because I was a nationally ranked distance runner in HS and college and routinely ran 117 miles per week (that works out to nearly 6100 miles per year). I can't run anymore because the brain hasn't figured out the body can't do what it used to do, so I walk at a brisk pace instead. If you like to swim that is the best exercise to drop weight because not only are you burning calories to propel you body you are burning them to keep warm at the same time.

Post a picture of your family on the mirror you shave with, your refrigerator, your desk at work to remind yourself you want to see your kids grow up, go to college, get married, and have your grandchildren.

We are about the same height. A little over three weeks ago my health insurance company sent a doc out to go over my meds (I am on both HBP and cholesterol medicine because of family history). Do you know what the jerk made me do? Step on a friggen scale! I was 187.7 pounds, heaviest I have ever been. I almost cried. So I went back on myfitnesspal and got the fitbit and made a commitment to eat better (no more Mickey D's save for an occasional breakfast before golf). I started eating more fish. I hate fish (no, fish and chips doesn't count as healthy) but I have been tolerating salmon. OK, it isn't that bad. I'm walking more miles on the weekend and bought a treadmill to walk on after work a couple of times a week. I weighed myself last Sunday and I had dropped 8.7 pounds in 3 weeks. Stepping on that scale was scarier than a 4 foot downhill putt. I don't expect to drop at that rate all the way down to my goal but a pound to a pound and a half a week is a good rate. I made myself 2 goals. I told myself I will drop 20 pounds no matter what. That is set in stone. I also said 25-30 would be the icing on the cake (sorry about the pun).

You can do this. I guarantee you that you will start feeling better quickly. Sorry about the long post but we are both walking along the same path.

Quitting soda out of any diet will net you tremendous results. Not just in weight but overall energy levels and health! I am on the health kick right now since my wife is pregnant I've gained a few pounds and changing my diet for myself and letting her eat what she wants. It's hard but I've gained around 10lbs and not enjoying it.

the biggest things I've learned is how to say No to my wife when she wants ice cream or any sweets I've been going along and eating with her. Big mistake. Now I say no and let her enjoy the things she wants and I don't have to. And portion control.

Quitting soda out of any diet will net you tremendous results. Not just in weight but overall energy levels and health! I am on the health kick right now since my wife is pregnant I've gained a few pounds and changing my diet for myself and letting her eat what she wants. It's hard but I've gained around 10lbs and not enjoying it.

the biggest things I've learned is how to say No to my wife when she wants ice cream or any sweets I've been going along and eating with her. Big mistake. Now I say no and let her enjoy the things she wants and I don't have to. And portion control.

So, she's just trying to make you keep pace with her during her pregnancy, eh? Of course, one day she will be able to drop 20 lbs nearly instantly. :D

So, she's just trying to make you keep pace with her during her pregnancy, eh? Of course, one day she will be able to drop 20 lbs nearly instantly. :D
I know right. It's not fair!! Lol.

I haven't posted up in a while, but since I've made some progress I thought I should give an update... I started using MFP to track my calories and nutrient %-ages in March. I've also done some sort of exercise (gym, walk, run, swim, golf) at least 4 days a week. I've lost 19.3 pounds in about 13 weeks. Considering that I've been on travel for work 6 of those weeks, I'm pretty pleased with where I am. Its incredibly hard to eat healthy when you have to eat out most meals. I've also built quite a bit of muscle in my shoulders, arms, back and belly so my golf swing is much better, as well :)

I haven't posted up in a while, but since I've made some progress I thought I should give an update... I started using MFP to track my calories and nutrient %-ages in March. I've also done some sort of exercise (gym, walk, run, swim, golf) at least 4 days a week. I've lost 19.3 pounds in about 13 weeks. Considering that I've been on travel for work 6 of those weeks, I'm pretty pleased with where I am. Its incredibly hard to eat healthy when you have to eat out most meals. I've also built quite a bit of muscle in my shoulders, arms, back and belly so my golf swing is much better, as well :)
It's amazing. When done right, muscle doesn't limit flexibility.

After losing about 70 pounds the last year and a half and also being a bit of a soda nut, yes, kicking soda will help.

But in general, I've really just tried to limit "drinking calories". Less calories via drinks is more you can eat! I think cutting out milk really helped. I didn't realize I was taking in like 400 calories a day just through milk before.

If you want to drink that one can of soda today, cut out ~170 calories elsewhere for the day.

Your diet change is the first thing to enact, as the others have said. I would hesitate to go on any medications unless the doctor says now now now. My thought would be to start light yoga (even if it just means getting into downward dog from your knees, holding it for a few seconds, going back down into your knees, and then repeating that for a minute).

From the prior thread (2014 fitness thread), when I wanted to lose weight, I did 10 push-ups and 10 air squats (standing up and sitting back down into a chair will work) an hour prior to eating lunch at the recommendation of a post.
Get some light dumbbells and do squats and deadlifts, too. Ten before food for these also work well.

You definitely have a plan, so keep with it and the weight will fall off. :) (and see your doctor :D)

After losing about 70 pounds the last year and a half and also being a bit of a soda nut, yes, kicking soda will help.

But in general, I've really just tried to limit "drinking calories". Less calories via drinks is more you can eat! I think cutting out milk really helped. I didn't realize I was taking in like 400 calories a day just through milk before.

If you want to drink that one can of soda today, cut out ~170 calories elsewhere for the day.
I would be careful cutting out milk or other fat sources if you take protein supplements, as protein needs fat to work.

Day 1: ate a little better, drastically reduced amount of soda drunk. Walked a mile interspersed with 4 100m sprints. Felt really good! Gonna hurt tomorrow!

Need help getting motivated to loose those pounds through active lifestyle? Go to TeamRWB.org and look for a Chapter near you. Team RWB’s mission is to enrich the lives of America’s veterans by connecting them to their community through physical and social activity. This creates a bond between Veterans and non-Veterans that results in fantastic relationships and active lifestyles, from running to rock climbing, cycling, golf, Crossfit, hiking.... you name it we do it. I recently returned from a 60 mile Ruck (military style hike) over the Appalachian Trails and down into Washington DC and Arlington National Cemetery, over the Memorial Day weekend. Lost 25 pounds over the 3 day hike. Check it out and join. It is free and it is AWESOME.

I just want to wish you the best of luck.Just stay with it.It is not easy but what is easy that is good for you.You have a lot of reasons to reclaim your health.Plus the pride you will have in making it happen. Keep us up to date and please know even a little bit is going in the right direction.My mother in law lost 150lbs some years ago. She is 72 and runs marathons. She always says the secret is DRINKING THE WATER.It sure worked for her.

One more set of power cleans left and I can't get off my ass to get it done.

Last edited:
Don't be a Gym Bro that does curls in the squat rack and doesn't have the courtesy to clean up after yourself. DON'T BE THAT GYM BRO!!!!

5dea9dd9a1b35097c684701918d50e49.jpg

my pulling mechanics are all sorts of off. This is not good (it is in slow motion. Do not be alarmed)

m8Lb2M.gif

Day 3: played 18 today. Diet was ho-hum but could have been much worse!

Just wanted to chime in a bit. I've been playing for 33 years. I've battled a herniated disc and spinal stenosis for the last 5 years or so. It flared up really bad in December basically preventing me from doing anything remotely physical for about 2 months. My Dr. And Physical Therapist said these issues I have never truly go away, though I can keep it under control. I turned 40 in February and decided I wasn't going to let it beat me down, and had also decided I will not do surgery to take tissue out. I discovered that the one thing that really motivated me to work harder and longer at getting healthy and strong is golf. So I started working more enthusiastically on stretching, full body, using the goal of playing golf this summer as my motivation. I got medical clearance to start light swinging in April. Going to the range weekly has become part if my routine. I have played 9 holes twice in the last month, walking, not ready for 18. I'm down from 216 to 203. Some days I wake up and it's early afternoon before moving around is loose and comfortable. Anyway that's all I got. Walking, stretching swinging that's my therapy now.

Congratulations on your determination to improve your health, and live.

After another bad marriage, I was almost 200 lbs 6 years ago at 6 ft. I was in my 50's.

I lost 30 lbs in about 5 months. Apparently, years of stress and poor eating habits had clogged up my arteries, and I had open heart surgery 2 years later. I weighed about 185 at the time. Life has not been the same so I urge you to remain on the road to good health. This winter was hard and I need to lose 10 lbs to get back to 174.

Agree on the myfitnesspal and either a fitbit or miofit.

Diet? We each have our own way, but the following is a suggestion:

Drink: I drink coffee in the morning and lots of water (filtered and bottled), and no other drinks.

Eat:

Breakfast is Steel Cut Oatmeal, no sugar added, but fresh organic fruit --- cherries, blueberries, strawberries, even cranberries.

Mid morning I have an organic apple.

Lunch is salad or a veggie, grilled chicken

Mid Afternoon is another organic apple and/or a breakfast bar (low fat)

Dinner is organic salad, no oil dressing, pizza without cheese, vegetables, 4 oz grilled chicken. I will have fresh salmon (not farmed) once per week.

Desert is a fruit.

Notice that I have little meat, no processed foods, little or no oils, little or no dairy, hardly any cheese, no fried foods, little or no bread, little pasta.

Cut down on portions - 4 oz meat, a cup of pasta for example, and have bread or pasta in the afternoon, not evening.

Of course, you must reward yourself - so a little steak once in a while may help.

I have read several articles where studies state it is what you put into your body that counts, even moreso than exercise.

I do a lot of flexibility, some strength training, and running. The running starts off with walking, then 1 minute of running at a fast pace, and 2 minutes of walking, repeat. You may start with only walking and work up to it.

I assume you've had a blood test and the doc has reviewed your HDL and LDL levels --

At your state of fitness, use the fitbit or miofit to control and monitor your heart. I run with one all the time. If you feel indigestion or discomfort, see a doc. Keep aspirin around the house and in the car. If you feel chest discomfort, bite down on the aspirin, get it under your tongue and see a doc.

Have blood tests every 6 months to help monitor yourself.

Good luck. It takes discipline to change your life. You will have 5 children. They need a father. You want to play golf and enjoy good health. Stick to a plan.

I've lost 4 lbs in 4 days with the above.

Fun fact. Six pack abs are made in the kitchen. Not the gym

Worked up to three heavy singles and a fourth set of 5 reps on the bench press. Five sets of 2 power snatches, first time power snatching in close to two months, and then finished with some chin ups.

All before 7:30am

Side note that makes me happy. I've added weight to the bar, gone up in bodyweight, but have to pull my belts (weight and dress) a few notches tighter.

Sounds like the beginning of my story.....last October I quit smoking, gained weight , then in January stepped on a scale (almost feinted) then decided to change my life....I am 48, 5'7" and weighed 225lbs.....I joined a gym, starting eating healthy (do some research and find the foods and routine that works for you)...I count calories (myfitnesspal), exercise regularly and in 6mos I have lost 54lbs. I am currently at 171lbs and on my way to a goal weight of 160. I feel and look like a different person.....be determined and focused and you can do it. If I can do it, anyone can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back