Just put an old driver back in the bag and it was bombing

SoGaDawg

Reaction score
Handicap
14ish
So I bought an X2 Hot driver last year to replace my R11S. Everything was going fine up to a couple of months ago when I began implementing some swing and set up changes. I was hitting the X2 Hot straight, but I was losing distance. But at the same time I had picked up distance on all the other clubs in the bag.

Basically my ball flight was ballooning. It would travel 220ish or so and the just fall out of the sky with little to no run. Adjustments didn't matter. It was basically the same. Lo and behold, I take the old R11S to the range and hit it alongside and I am outdriving the X2 Hot by at least 20 yards without the ballooning. Bottom line is that the X2 is out of the bag now.

Now I am still wondering what the reason for this sudden decline in diatance with the X2 is from. I believe has to do with the spin and launch angle the swing changes I implemented caused.

Has this happened to anyone else before? If so, what are your thoughts?

Bonus question : is it still cool to Gane a R11S or should I expect ridicule during my round tomorrow morning?

So I bought an X2 Hot driver last year to replace my R11S. Everything was going fine up to a couple of months ago when I began implementing some swing and set up changes. I was hitting the X2 Hot straight, but I was losing distance. But at the same time I had picked up distance on all the other clubs in the bag.

Basically my ball flight was ballooning. It would travel 220ish or so and the just fall out of the sky with little to no run. Adjustments didn't matter. It was basically the same. Lo and behold, I take the old R11S to the range and hit it alongside and I am outdriving the X2 Hot by at least 20 yards without the ballooning. Bottom line is that the X2 is out of the bag now.

Now I am still wondering what the reason for this sudden decline in diatance with the X2 is from. I believe has to do with the spin and launch angle the swing changes I implemented caused.

Has this happened to anyone else before? If so, what are your thoughts?

Bonus question : is it still cool to Gane a R11S or should I expect ridicule during my round tomorrow morning?

ANY time you drop a Callaway club out of your bag for a TM club, you should be ridiculed! I'M KIDDING!

Seriously, if it works it doesn't even matter. I'd rather have the extra yards and in the fairway ANYDAY. My guess is no one in your group will say anything as long as you don't bring it up. Then, if you do, and it's going past all of them and in play, they REALLY won't say anything. Keep it up!

ANY time you drop a Callaway club out of your bag for a TM club, you should be ridiculed! I'M KIDDING!

Seriously, if it works it doesn't even matter. I'd rather have the extra yards and in the fairway ANYDAY. My guess is no one in your group will say anything as long as you don't bring it up. Then, if you do, and it's going past all of them and in play, they REALLY won't say anything. Keep it up!
I am not exactly a brand ho...but I generally stick with TM, Callaway and TE Exotics. I love me some Tour Edge, but their Drivers have never clicked with me. The fairways and hybrids on the other hand...I'm going to request that they all be buried with me...

Use what works for you. My driver has 10+ years and the 3-wood is pushing 20. I have no problems hitting them as they get me where I want to be.

I had the same thing happen many years ago. I got a new driver and it did the same thing. Went back to the old one and was fine. Sometimes the shaft/head combo just doesn't work for the swing.

What's the difference in shafts? Your newer launch angle might just be better suited with the r11s

What's the difference in shafts? Your newer launch angle might just be better suited with the r11s
Playing with an Aldila MOI in the R11s and a Aldila Tour Blue in the X2.

Hey, it works!!!! I have always liked the R11. Never owned one, but they sure seem impressive (to me). I am seriously considering an R11 3wood. They keep turning up at the pro shop /driving range where I go. They are low priced now, because all of the newer stuff has come out since.

Keep rockin' that R11 until something else can knock it out of the bag.

In another month, try the Callaway again.

Jack

Golf is not an easy game to play, so play what suits your swing best so you can get the most out of it, and if that happens to be an older club then play it

Why should you be ridiculed for what clubs you play? I don't understand people that do this to others to be honest. I would be more likely to be wary of someone with older clubs in their bag as I would think that they are so comfortable with them that they could probably play me off the course!

Playing with an Aldila MOI in the R11s and a Aldila Tour Blue in the X2.

Isn't the Tour Blue a mid/high launch shaft? Someone else can confirm this, but you may just need to look for a lower launching option. Aldilia has plenty of options ... maybe the Tour Green.

I have a Ping K15. No one has ever commented on it. I had a great round with a Cleveland Classic XL lately, but that isn't a new club either. Just play what you like.

Use what works for you. My driver has 10+ years and the 3-wood is pushing 20. I have no problems hitting them as they get me where I want to be.

I had the same thing happen many years ago. I got a new driver and it did the same thing. Went back to the old one and was fine. Sometimes the shaft/head combo just doesn't work for the swing.

I have had the same happen a few times over the years. One driver I never let go is a 10 year old Callaway 454 BB. It was a great driver for me when it came out and I hit some of my best drives ever with it. I used it late last year and it still did the job, but there is a pretty big difference between it and my new XR driver. The XR may now be take it's place as the must keep driver.

Old isn't always a bad thing. The TM r7 CGB Max in my bag is a keeper, and although I'm not real sure how old it is, I think the r7 series was introduced by TM in 2004. I've noticed that many of the golfers I play with may have newer irons, hybrids and FW's, a lot of them still carry older drivers and putters.

Last edited:
Everybody should be happy on the course. I'm not sure any of the older model drivers would benefit me more than the newer tech, but that's fine to.

I think that sometimes we put an old club in the bag and it frees up our swing - we get out of club evaluation mode and we get out of our own way.

I find this happens a lot when I take my old Razr Fit with me to the range, and hit it really well. Of course due to its higher spin it's a little friendlier.

Back