Flatstick Form Factors - how as your putter shape evolved?

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When I began life as a hacker I relied on the face-balanced mallet and the so-called pendulum stroke. Since that time I have tried mallets, mid-mallets, and blades from center-shafted to plumber's neck. My question for you, fellow THPers, is have you stuck with a single tried-and-true putter design that just caught your eye, or has your choice evolved as your game has evolved?

When I began life as a hacker I relied on the face-balanced mallet and the so-called pendulum stroke. Since that time I have tried mallets, mid-mallets, and blades from center-shafted to plumber's neck. My question for you, fellow THPers, is have you stuck with a single tried-and-true putter design that just caught your eye, or has your choice evolved as your game has evolved?

I am a believer that a putters design characteristics are the key to how they perform. This came after a series of lessons and demonstrations that showed how changing variables in a putter impact how well it works. My choice has evolved because I know more about fitting a putter to my stroke.

Shape hasn't evolved but offset has - I don't want any!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started off with an Anser style blade, moved to a #9 shape, then back to the Anser style for a long time before going to a center shafted Mid Mallet (#5 or 330 from Odyssey for example)

Have tried a few other shapes, but center shafted mid mallet or plumber neck in that round back style is what appeals to my eye.

I've looked for MOI, or forgiveness. I'm not a good putter. In the heat of the moment of a putt, I can lose the focus, vary the stroke that controls impact. Ball goes that away. If that simplistic view has evolved, it is toward a putter that provides a better alignment through the stroke. I don't know if that is face balanced, face balanced at impact, offset, alignment aid, or something else. But there is something in some putters that give me a better chance to align the ball on target and keep it going that-away through impact. V-Line Fang (White Hot RX version) is doing the job right now. If there is an unaddressed challenge that rises above the others, it is distance control. Ball comes hot off that white Hot RX face, or so it seems to me.

I started with an Anser style,then b60 shape. And now a full mallet

I've been all veer the place: small blades with PN, center shafted mid mallets, #9s.. inserts, milled...CBS...I'm now on a kick for deep flanged blades.

When I first got into golf I was really fascinated with the "tuttle" putter and I was all mallet since then. Last year I I went to a PN blade and now I could game either

I've been all over the place and have gamed everything from 8802 to full mallets and now the Cure RX3. I can say at this point I can't putt with a PN so I avoid all of them no matter how nice they look.

Started off with a blade, then after 4 years with it, I decided to swap it out for a spider mallet, so now the blade is in the closet (most likely for good)

The TM Nubbins was my first putter purchase and played mallets almost the entire time I've played golf. Switched to a blade a few weeks ago to give it a whirl and so far I'm really enjoying it. I don't seem to notice much difference in the way of results, but I think it looks prettier.

I started with blades just like everyone I guess. I went to belly / mallet for stroke consistency.

The ban was coming up so I switched to arm-lock style - really natural but the ball felt too far forward in my stance. I would have had to shell out a bit more money than I was comfortable with to get the putter I had modified or to get a bio-mech or something.

Then I just started using my belly putter as a regular putter and gripped down a bit on it (had to get it bent close to 80* in order to do that). Finally I got the biggest, heaviest putter I could adjust to 80* and am going with that.
____

I started with a stroke that was a little less upright than the one I have now. I couldn't keep consistency as easily when leaning over too much - I've had back issues in the past and I'm heavy.

Then I just started using my belly putter as a regular putter and gripped down a bit on it (had to get it bent close to 80* in order to do that). Finally I got the biggest, heaviest putter I could adjust to 80* and am going with that.
____

I started with a stroke that was a little less upright than the one I have now. I couldn't keep consistency as easily when leaning over too much - I've had back issues in the past and I'm heavy.

That is the way I tried to do. Been searching for second handed SC big sur on ebay, that one in a big blade shape. Some of them are already cut down to 35 inches, comes in 78* already. But then I came across this amazing RX5, which fits all the requirements.

Started out last year with an odyssey 2 ball, then onto a versa 1, finished up with a odyssey 1 wide.
This year I have tried #7, cure rx2, seemore si3, Cleveland 2135, and finally a Toulon Memphis. The Memphis is the perfect shape for me.
I need mallet and minimal offset. I don't do well with plumbers neck.

When I first got into golf my freshman year in high school I was infatuated with the tuttle. No real reason other than it caught my eye.
73cf42ae73c8696f8a7d2caa265d7206.jpg

When I returned to Golf about 16 years later I immediately went into a mallet putter and the #7 was it. Since then I've gone to a #2 style. I could honest game a 7, 2ball or a PN blade

Back