Hank Haney: Please Shut Up!!!

one thing people forget, tiger had something to do with all this also. his off course actions/life, his mental approach and attitude, all have an impact

Yeah, everyone's got to live and make some $$$.
I like that he's giving free advice on Twitter. What I dislike though is the advertising he does on Twitter. The Crocs Golf shoes? Not so good as he tells us.
And the obvious contract with Taylormade? Come on!
I am so close to unfollow him b/c of that.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I could say the same thing about Golf Channel, but the reality is everyone who has an opinion on Tiger is proooooobably going to share it... because Tiger moves the needle.
This is it in a nutshell. Discussing Tiger's woes is like printing easy money. Haney isn't alone.

Last edited:
I guess I am on the other side. If there has ever been anybody to discuss what someone like Tiger is going through, its Haney.

Or Butch.

Or Stevie.

But I don't see them trying at every turn to make their presence known on Tiger's misery.

Agree with the OP. Haney has taken things too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than Tiger who else has Hank coached? What's his claim to fame?

If only Tiger could be left alone. Any other player that has fallen into a slump, they are left alone, away from the public eye except tiger. If only he gets to recover in his own time and sort out his demons, instead every time he has a fart, the media has to pull a emergency session on it. It's absurd. As for the coaches, at this juncture, they are as useless to tiger as the media is in correcting his swing issues.

Personally I don't believe the coaches have much of a say in what Tiger is looking for, they simply tries to give him the tools that he will wield to create results, in this case POWER and more POWER so he can over-come the deficit that is his aging self with the Era of Rory. If only he could accept that he can't beat everyone with power but with fineness and experience will he truly start to recover.

There's an element of Bitterness that just drips from Haney...I get it, but he should take some high ground. As for Chamblee, he's just plain joyous at Tiger's struggles.

I don't see a guy, in Tiger, who is in any way likeable.... he's a bit robotic, and he's a self involved mess. He's ALSO a launching point for an incredible generation of new golfers and competitors. He WAS the Change in the game.

Golfers used to be (I'm sorry if this is off base and ignorant) Rich and Pudgy country club brats. The tour is now filled with "Strikers" and "Shortstops" and "Starting Pitchers". The game is incredibly more athletic, more competitive and much more exciting than ever. It's filled with powerful, talented and skilled Uber Athletes, unlike any time prior to Tiger's emergence.

Tiger himself could not dominate THIS field as completely as he did for almost the entirety of his first ten years on the tour.

The sport, including his many "Jilted Coaches", has been changed for the better by his presence. No, I don't like TIGER, but I recognize and appreciate him.

There's an element of Bitterness that just drips from Haney...I get it, but he should take some high ground. As for Chamblee, he's just plain joyous at Tiger's struggles.

I don't see a guy, in Tiger, who is in any way likeable.... he's a bit robotic, and he's a self involved mess. He's ALSO a launching point for an incredible generation of new golfers and competitors. He WAS the Change in the game.

Golfers used to be (I'm sorry if this is off base and ignorant) Rich and Pudgy country club brats. The tour is now filled with "Strikers" and "Shortstops" and "Starting Pitchers". The game is incredibly more athletic, more competitive and much more exciting than ever. It's filled with powerful, talented and skilled Uber Athletes, unlike any time prior to Tiger's emergence.

Tiger himself could not dominate THIS field as completely as he did for almost the entirety of his first ten years on the tour.

The sport, including his many "Jilted Coaches", has been changed for the better by his presence. No, I don't like TIGER, but I recognize and appreciate him.

Lot of valid points on his athleticism changing the game.

this thread makes me want to read his book again.

I liked the book. Thought it was pretty fair all around.

However, his stock as an instructor dropped tremendously thanks to his show.

I liked the book. Thought it was pretty fair all around.

However, his stock as an instructor dropped tremendously thanks to his show.

Book was a really good read. The show was OK at first and then went downhill pretty fast. I blame Ray Romano.

I blame Hank. He forgot the part about making those guys better. That would have really made for a good show.

I blame Hank. He forgot the part about making those guys better. That would have really made for a good show.

I can't even remember all the people that have been on it. I remember Rush got better, once he started to actually practice and do that 100 swings a day thing. But yeah having a show that allows people to get to their goals, and then not getting them to that point = failure.

I can't even remember all the people that have been on it. I remember Rush got better, once he started to actually practice and do that 100 swings a day thing. But yeah having a show that allows people to get to their goals, and then not getting them to that point = failure.

They obviously needed the Blueprint.

I came into this thread really thinking the title/OP had to do with his recent commercials...boy was I wrong.

I came into this thread really thinking the title/OP had to do with his recent commercials...boy was I wrong.

haha that's what I thought too.

Professional golf is no different then most other professional sports--to quote the classic movie line: follow the money. My guess is that Hank doesn't give a hoot about Tiger or his game because Tiger no longer pays him. But he must maintain his public persona as Tiger's former coach in order to remain relevant and sell his products. I'm sure we were all saddened by the death of Billy Casper. But the Casper experience continues to apply today. During his time, the "Big 3" generated the money, so his accomplishments went publicly unnoticed. Today, Tiger and Phil generate the money. So the broadcasters dedicate themselves to Tiger and Phil, in the meantime, some great players go unnoticed and are not receiving their due. Discussions regarding them are "under the fold" so to speak, the headlines are still Tiger and Phil. But such may be short lived. Rory is becoming a head liner, when he and other young players become the money generators, Tiger and Phil will become historical figures like Arnie, Jack and Gary.

His commercial always bothers me when it comes on, maybe it is the scam of the free promise and finding out its paid. I do not believe someone can gain 80 yards in x number of minutes, hey if that's true sign me up I will be bubba long!

I believe it is possible based on my wife's driver swing. She has a wicked slice. We had her on a launch monitor while in Las Vegas. She was hitting the ball 125 yds long and way to the right. She was able to square her driver a couple times and was poking it to 200 yds.

I didn't get to listen to anything Haney said, but as a former Tiger coach, I'd say he would have insights that very few would have.

Also, I never did follow too closely the reasoning behind leaving Butch and taking up with Haney. To my untrained eye, Tiger's swing was a thing of beauty in 2000. I believe Haney was the one who had Tiger implement the deep dip in transition that, again to my untrained eye, looked awkward and hard to time. Tiger would tend to get stuck at times, and we started seeing some wild misses. This would seem to happen more often as Tiger was in contention, and really for the first time, we saw him vulnerable and not immune to pressure.

If the Haney swing was a necessary change to deal with the left knee problems, then I guess it made all the sense in the world to go that route. Tiger did win quite a bit during the Haney era, but I think that his raw talent, mental toughness and brilliant short game all combined to make that happen. But even so, that crazy dip move did get him out of whack in some key moments, and personally, I thought the move looked too awkward and hard to time.

Regardless, Tiger's personal life and injuries no doubt took their toll on his game. But I believe that his mental game was forever affected by the first few times he buckled under pressure. Prior to those occasions, he was secure in his belief that he was the best in the world and that every tournament was his to win.

Back to Haney, I think he caught Tiger at a great time - I.e. Tiger was going to continue to be dominant for some time after Butch, no matter what swing changes were implemented, or what coach he went to. But I don't understand the big dip move, and I can't help that feel it became unreliable in some key pressure moments, and did leave Tiger with his first experiences of self-doubt. This of course is just my opinion as a fan on the outside looking in.

I am a Tiger fan after all. It was such an incredible joy to witness his mastery of the game, and total domination of the rest of the world. I would love to see him remain healthy, and be able to compete against today's elites (who were no doubt inspired by Tiger to become the peak physical specimens they are now - just look at Rory's transformation).

To me, golf is just better with Tiger in the hunt!

Oh and I do hate Haney's commercials - lol

Have never been a tiger fan but I do believe he has been awesome for the game we love. I think whatever Tiger is or isn't going thru is reallly his own business

I didn't get to listen to anything Haney said, but as a former Tiger coach, I'd say he would have insights that very few would have.

Also, I never did follow too closely the reasoning behind leaving Butch and taking up with Haney. To my untrained eye, Tiger's swing was a thing of beauty in 2000. I believe Haney was the one who had Tiger implement the deep dip in transition that, again to my untrained eye, looked awkward and hard to time. Tiger would tend to get stuck at times, and we started seeing some wild misses. This would seem to happen more often as Tiger was in contention, and really for the first time, we saw him vulnerable and not immune to pressure.

It's simple. Tiger fell out with Butch at the US Open he won on the bad knee. They had a huge fight the morning of the last round as Tiger wanted to make swing changes to relieve pressure on his knee and Butch said no - we will make changes after the tournament because the changes won't stick without practice.

The Haney swing was easier on his knee but when it gave way again - off he went to Foley.

Foley got the pressure off his knee but as Tiger swings so hard it ended up moving somewhere else - his back.

As for Haney - he knows being a celebrity teacher will only last so long and he is taking advantage of it. He likely worked most of his life teaching lessons by himself making a couple hundred a day and now has made a commercial success out of his golf schools and merchandising. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'd rather hear Haney talk about it than Notah Begay jumping in every two seconds to talk about how he and Tiger are such good buddies and how much he knows about the situation.

I respect about few others in the golf community's word more than Hank Haney's
1. Arnold Palmer
2. Jack Nicklaus
3. Gary Player
4. Butch Harmon
5. David Feherty(c'mon it's Feherty)
6. Sir Nick
7. Jim Nantz
8. Hank Haney

Back