Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

CPO was running a two day 20% off promo and I couldn't resist ordering a set of 4-PW, AW with the recoil shafts in "Very Good" condition. I have bought from Callaway Pre-Owned before but always in "Like New" condition so I am curious as to how these will look when they arrive on Monday.

Oh, I placed my order at about 3:30PM CST and even though they say orders placed by 2:00PM will ship same day I got a shipping confirmation not 40 minutes later with the UPS tracking number. You just can't beat their service plus I have the added luxury of being in Texas and getting next business day delivery.

Nice. That is what I was using minus the 4 and AW. Really good set of irons.

Got on the course for the first time since getting my Apex GW. Whoa buddy is it sweet! Looking like it may be about 5 yards longer than my XHP AW was but hard to tell in 35 degree weather.

I am certain I am going to love it.

Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Since my back injury my swing speed has greatly decreased. To the point that the XP95 in stiff is just far too much shaft for me now.

My coach had an open house yesterday and had Callaway reps there with bags and bags of clubs, and I found an Apex 6 iron with an F3 Recoil in it. After a couple dozen balls I decided that was the ticket! So as soon as I it home I ordered six of the F3 670 shafts and will reshaft them this week.

All that being said, I still love love love these irons.

Tapa tapa tapa

Last edited:
I continue to love these irons, surprising forgiving, very little lateral movement, and above average distance. My only complaint, and it's minor, is that I feel that AW is a bit too thick so I'm likely to put a MD2 50 degree in the bag shortly.

My Apex 4-AW irons with F3 Recoil shafts arrived this morning from CPO. Described and priced as being in "Very Good" condition I was actually a little surprised (though I shouldn't have been given these were coming from Callaway) at just what great condition they are in. They have obviously been hit before but not a whole lot. Being a forged club there are a few very minor dings that would be inevitable from from banging around in a bag but hardly noticeable unless you are closely inspecting the clubs. The logo down orientation of the shafts adds a degree of class in my opinion and it would be hard to tell at a glance that they aren't a step-less steel shaft.

In comparing specs to the X2 Hot irons that I have been playing the shaft at 71g is heavier than the ultralite graphite shafts Callaway uses in the X2 Hots (57g), The clubs are noticeably heavier feeling, which I like. I can't wait to actually hit them and experience the great "feel" that everyone talks about. Unfortunately, I am recovering from Total Knee Replacement surgery and it will be several more weeks.

Cally Pre Owned got me. Had 25% off any single item yesterday, ordered 4-pw,gw with graphite shafts. Had my specs, 2* flat, senior shafts and they are going to cut half an inch off on all the clubs and regrip for only $20. Placed order at 2:00 and irons were shipped by the end of the day. Should be at my house by end of the today. After trade ins, looks like I'm only going to be out of pocket about $200. New I shouldn't have gone on their site yesterday, regardless, I am ecstatic to get these and can't wait to give them a go. I'm hoping they are not too much club for me. I have played r11's with graphite in the past and hit them really well, anyone anyone hit both and compare.

Nice find twoods. Just fyi they are really behind on trade ins. They got mine 11/28 and I haven't received my payment yet. Spoke to them yesterday and they were just getting to their trade ins from 11/24.

No biggie. The bogo surely slammed them with trades. Just a heads up

Nice find twoods. Just fyi they are really behind on trade ins. They got mine 11/28 and I haven't received my payment yet. Spoke to them yesterday and they were just getting to their trade ins from 11/24.

No biggie. The bogo surely slammed them with trades. Just a heads up

Thanks sparksjr, yea I've done a lot of business with them and it usually takes about a month to get your trade in credit back. Not a big deal to me. I'm hoping to get to hit these tonight.

So my irons were delayed one day and won't be delivered until this afternoon. I decided to go to Ed Watts and demo a 6 iron with the recoil reg. flex graphite shaft. Got it on my home course and just played a driver , apex 6 iron, wedge, and a putter. Basically hit 6 iron every shot. Played 9 holes and only used driver 3 times at the beginning of the round. The last 6 holes, I was having so much fun hitting the Apex 6 iron I just decided to use it off the tee. I used it exclusively on a par 5 and hit the green in regulation and 2 putted for my par. I really had a blast hitting all kinds of different shots with one club. I even hit a green from 170 out which is usually a 4 iron for me. Played the ball in the back of the stance and hit a hard trap draw that rolled up on the green. The feel of a well struck shot is unbelievable with this iron. Even tried a couple of fades which means I hit it dead straight, definitely not my preferred shot shape. If I can hit the 4 iron as consistent as I hit the 6 iron yesterday, I could see it being a go to club off the tee. I can't wait to get my set in this afternoon, unfortunately will not be able to play them until Thurs, wife scheduled family Xmas pictures this afternoon.:banghead: I will get to use them in league play this Friday though! Can't wait!

these are 20% off at CPO right now. If you are pondering them now is a good time to pull the trigger. They continue to amaze me with their forgiveness. just an incredible iron.

these are 20% off at CPO right now. If you are pondering them now is a good time to pull the trigger. They continue to amaze me with their forgiveness. just an incredible iron.

I think I look at these every day on CPO. Just wish they were a little cheaper. I so want a set, from what ive read they are amazing and better than my TM TPCB irons.

Had my 4th and 5th full round with the Apex irons.

The jury is still out. I am coming from the i20's and I absolutely LOVED the i20's. The Apex are definitely longer (especially the long irons) and I would say forgiveness is about the same honestly.

I really really like them, but I have not gained the confidence that I had with the i20's and that is just a comfort issue and more rounds with the i20s. They are incredible irons and I look forward to MANY MANY more rounds with them.

Hey guys and gals.... Found a set at the PGA superstore on the used rack with kbs your shafts for just $350 before trade in.... Curious if these can be bent post-factory?

Tap tap taparoo

Hey guys and gals.... Found a set at the PGA superstore on the used rack with kbs your shafts for just $350 before trade in.... Curious if these can be bent post-factory?

Tap tap taparoo

Yes. Heck of a deal if in good condition.

hit these again tonight at the local gs. with the 6 iron, i compared these with the apex pro, tm sldr, mizzy850 forged. the apex are very long and are consistent in flight, direction and distance shot after shot. on the monitor 182-186 carry. the shaft was xp95 stiff and i found it a bit light. understandable as i play kbs tour s. the feel was very nice. a better feel was the apex pro. and i liked the feel of the swing better. that iron was as consistent as the apex in every manner. I ripped every shot straight at the target with these were as i tended to push slightly on the apex. 5 yards or so less distance with every shot. i cant speak of the similarities or differences between the 2 regarding mishits because the swing clicked today and i was not thinking about missing. i would have to try some mishits before i jumped on the wagon but given on tonight's test i would rather be fit for the pros. the tm and the mizzy were not in the same game for me.

ok, now that I have played the Apex for a few simulator rounds, I feel like I can tell how they will perform for me, and I really have mixed feelings.

I love the look/feel of the heads, but these KBS tour V stiff are way to much for me. coming from a 85g regular shaft to a 110g stiff was way too much! I can tell that they are not working for me and costing me distance (I cant hit the PW past 105 yards which is ridiculous for me).

I did feel like the old shafts were too light for me, but I think I will try to find regular, heavier shafts to put in there, maybe some dg pro R300.

in the meantime, I will pull the stock shafts out of my X Hot irons and stick them in the apex heads and see what happens

Why heavier?

Tour V Regulars are 100g, and for me have been a happy medium.

Kbs tour 90 might be exactly what you need
Tour V Regulars are 100g, and for me have been a happy medium.
I will take a look at these.

Why heavier?
I honestly dont know. What I know is that I felt like the 85g regular shafts I had in my x hots felt weak and whippy, and I feel like they might have cost me a bit of accuracy. I also like the feel of the heavier shaft in the apex weight wise, but it feels too stiff.

then again, I wish I could get a fitting, but outside of golftown, I can't see where I could get that done around here and I really dont trust them... they tried to sell me a X flex driver shaft when my average swing speed is sub 100 mph.

I did feel like the old shafts were too light for me, but I think I will try to find regular, heavier shafts to put in there, maybe some dg pro R300.

in the meantime, I will pull the stock shafts out of my X Hot irons and stick them in the apex heads and see what happens
FWIW, I swapped in DG SL R300s and really like them a lot over the XP95s. The tip is pretty stiff, tightened up my dispersion. But, sadly, I've not had much time at all with Apex and KBSs.

I will take a look at these.

I honestly dont know. What I know is that I felt like the 85g regular shafts I had in my x hots felt weak and whippy, and I feel like they might have cost me a bit of accuracy. I also like the feel of the heavier shaft in the apex weight wise, but it feels too stiff.

then again, I wish I could get a fitting, but outside of golftown, I can't see where I could get that done around here and I really dont trust them... they tried to sell me a X flex driver shaft when my average swing speed is sub 100 mph.

While I understand the hesitancy, there is definitely more to choosing flex than swing speed.
If going heavier was the answer, I think you would see that in the current shafts you are hitting now, which are both heavier and "less whippy".

While I understand the hesitancy, there is definitely more to choosing flex than swing speed.
I totally agree, and I know there are a lot of factors like temp and transition, but in that case the guy just wanted me to order a x speed aftermarket shaft just to squeeze more money out of me. I admin I do not know a lot about shafts, but the one thing I know is that I dont have the swing for a X flex black tie.

Back