Unofficial THP Outings - How do you get them organized?

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I noticed that new THP members have numbers in the 40,000s. Forty-thousand of us across the globe in one place to talk golf! Given that chances are pretty good that a THPer has some fellow members living nearby, how does everyone get outings organized? Do you have a standing annual event? Spontaneous tee times reserved and filled? How do you guys get local outings going?

No idea but will be following to see ideas for an Alabama gatherin if there is enough interest.

Use of the local thread. Make a mention of wanting to play somewhere around a certain time and get a feel for participation interest. Then easiest way is to start a thread for said gathering and see who is game.

Use of the local thread. Make a mention of wanting to play somewhere around a certain time and get a feel for participation interest. Then easiest way is to start a thread for said gathering and see who is game.

Just like I did! :banana:

All the Cali gatherings I've been involved in have been organized through the respective NorCal and SoCal regional threads, and the second annual NorCal v. SoCal battle just took place a couple weeks ago. The mini gatherings are organized by me harassing the THPers close to me until I guilt trip them into joining me hit hosel rockets all over whichever course we decide to play :wink:.

It doesn't always have to be a big outing. Just PM people in your area to get together for a quick round. Outings are great, but if you only have a few at a time instead of a big group, it makes it easier to get together, and more often.

It doesn't always have to be a big outing. Just PM people in your area to get together for a quick round. Outings are great, but if you only have a few at a time instead of a big group, it makes it easier to get together, and more often.
This is how the now what seems to be monthly DMV outings started.

It began with TheCrest4 starting a thread about 3 years ago to see who else lived in the area.

It started slow and not much happened the first year. Then we had a group of 3 or 4 go out.

The next year we grew slowly. Now it seems each outing has at least 10 and as many as 16 guys.

Our next one next weekend has a couple newer members coming, two driving from Richmond (2 hours) and One (BrianK) driving from NJ!!

I can't see how it can be done better than the way Golfinnut did the Raspberry Falls outing. Put out a feeler, then add a poll with 3 available dates, Chose the date that the majority picks, call the course and set it up. Smooth.

Just talk to a few people, get a round for a foursome for sure, and put it out there for others to join... If it gets bigger, just reserve a few tee times and you're set. Doesn't need to be more involved then that really.

For the past 4 years some of us Alberta guys get together for a round. It starts with a pm to put out feelers to everyone and I try to get new guys in the province involved. Then I start a thread and pm them a link. Then it just goes from there because we try to play a caiurse we normally wouldn't.

Back