Wilson Staff D200 Driver Review Thread

I've been looking these over since getting into the #THPLegacy. Sound seems to be right up everyone's alley. Shaft selection for me will have to come from a fitting. Has anyone done a comparison to this club and the Bertha Alpha (original). Thoughts? How's the lateral forgiveness in comparison. I was able to hit MD441 in Ohio last year. But the shaft wasn't what I felt I needed. But I could be mistaken, I'll have to rely on the fitters expertise.

The D200 is more forgiving across the face in my experience.

Should be a little better side to side for forgiveness.

Bigger swingers did pretty well with the Tour Green and the RIP Phenom NL.
Not sure if there will be shaft options available really dude. According to the website stock options are the Elements Chrome with A, R, and S options. If I remember correctly watching some of the guys hit different iterations of this club last fall. It's a high launching driver, with quite a bit of energy coming off the face.

Not sure if there will be shaft options available really dude. According to the website stock options are the Elements Chrome with A, R, and S options. If I remember correctly watching some of the guys hit different iterations of this club last fall. It's a high launching driver, with quite a bit of energy coming off the face.

I am proceeding as if we are going to have stock shaft options for #THPLegacy. I haven't hit the M3 before, and it doesn't appear as a current option on the Wilson website. I have a custom made D200 with a RIP Phenom, and it was very close between it and the Tour Blue for me. I guess I will see what the Elements Chrome can do.

I am proceeding as if we are going to have stock shaft options for #THPLegacy. I haven't hit the M3 before, and it doesn't appear as a current option on the Wilson website. I have a custom made D200 with a RIP Phenom, and it was very close between it and the Tour Blue for me. I guess I will see what the Elements Chrome can do.

Well you sure hit that one well at the ball fitting round, nice to see Wilson offering options like the Element Chrome

The stock shaft wouldn't be good for you in any way. I'm sure they recognize that it's not for everybody and want you all to play their equipment successfully.

The stock shaft wouldn't be good for you in any way. I'm sure they recognize that it's not for everybody and want you all to play their equipment successfully.
Thanks for the insight Hawk, no clue what's what at this point, I was just looking around at the options. We've got a while to go till we'll need to go down the equipment path. It's fun and exciting to kick it around from time to time.

They have quite a selection of shafts available. Just because it has a few (or one) stock option(s) doesn't mean something can't be built using the custom shop in Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a D200 in 13* is going to launch rockets for me.

I am starting to really struggle with my game. The D200 has been the only glimmer of hope in a dark world.

Okay, back from the range with the launch monitor. Here are the numbers.

This is the average of the best 5 balls.

Ball Speed 150
Launch Angle 16.5
Spin 2826
Carry 246

This is the average of all of the balls

Ball Speed 148
Launch Angle 15.8
Spin 3004
Carry 237

A really good sound at impact and one that you can tell if you catch it flush or miss. This driver surprised me with the forgiveness. A bit of a higher launcher for me in the standard setup. With some tweaking, could probably game this quite easily. Laterally it is super forgiving.

Great info JB. I want to hit one of these so bad, but doubt I will see one anywhere near here...at least not till ArmyGolf comes back with his from Legacy lol

Played today - WS Driver was the bright spot in an otherwise pretty dismal day.
I hit the D200 on 7 holes.
4 Fairways hit, two just right, one pull left but playable.
Distances - Into the wind 260 (left), 260, 250 (right), 275.
With the wind - 270 (right), 320, 340.
My SS is around 103, tops.
Absolutely loving the forgiveness, and the square hits are fantastic. Wish I could hit better second shots (and third, fourth, fifth, etc).

Thanks for the insight Hawk, no clue what's what at this point, I was just looking around at the options. We've got a while to go till we'll need to go down the equipment path. It's fun and exciting to kick it around from time to time.

Kevin. ForTheLoveOfGolf told me that Brian at Golf Etc in Fredrick is a big Wilson guy and carries a lot of their stuff. Also a very knowledgable fitter. I went to him a few years ago for some PINGS.

Great guy and will go out of his way to get you what you need. I know it's a haul for you. But you go out that way to play often, so no real big deal.

How did it compare to some of the other recent drivers designed to be light weight? And was this with the elements chrome shaft?

Okay, back from the range with the launch monitor. Here are the numbers.

This is the average of the best 5 balls.

Ball Speed 150
Launch Angle 16.5
Spin 2826
Carry 246

This is the average of all of the balls

Ball Speed 148
Launch Angle 15.8
Spin 3004
Carry 237

A really good sound at impact and one that you can tell if you catch it flush or miss. This driver surprised me with the forgiveness. A bit of a higher launcher for me in the standard setup. With some tweaking, could probably game this quite easily. Laterally it is super forgiving.
Forgiving, higher launch, good sound, good looks....yup this one sounds awesome!

How did it compare to some of the other recent drivers designed to be light weight? And was this with the elements chrome shaft?

Hard to say as I did not have any others out there with me today. Soon I will put this and the Cleveland Black together, but I can tell you off eye ball, the Cleveland Black is spinning less. That may or may not be a good thing depending on who it playing it.

Hard to say as I did not have any others out there with me today. Soon I will put this and the Cleveland Black together, but I can tell you off eye ball, the Cleveland Black is spinning less. That may or may not be a good thing depending on who it playing it.

I believe it. My spin numbers with the stock shaft were high 4000's

As a de-lofter through impact hearing high launch and high spin has me pretty excited for this one.

I've had it up against the v series a few times and so far the v series has won

As a de-lofter through impact hearing high launch and high spin has me pretty excited for this one.
My fitting (and resulting shaft) knocked my spin and launch angles down significantly from my typical drives. It may all come down to shaft for you...

These last few posts have me a bit concerned as far as driver goes with regards to the Legacy, which is only an issue for me on a personal level. But it raises the question of why? Why would Wilson Staff produce a single head that people with a higher spin rate swing or a higher AoA be able to game confidently off the shelf? My bet is that there is some configuration that would fit any golfer. But as a consumer seeing this kind of feedback makes me take pause really. Then again I realize a true fitting will set your worries aside.

My fitting (and resulting shaft) knocked my spin and launch angles down significantly from my typical drives. It may all come down to shaft for you...
I do love to shaft ho haha.

These last few posts have me a bit concerned as far as driver goes with regards to the Legacy, which is only an issue for me on a personal level. But it raises the question of why? Why would Wilson Staff produce a single head that people with a higher spin rate swing or a higher AoA be able to game confidently off the shelf? My bet is that there is some configuration that would fit any golfer. But as a consumer seeing this kind of feedback makes me take pause really. Then again I realize a true fitting will set your worries aside.
Well I saw a few big hitters with very high swing speeds make it work in October but like you said part of that was the proper shaft being played

Wilson does not have a single head. They have two heads.
FWIW, I have watched many a player with very fast swing speeds play this head rather well.

Wilson does not have a single head. They have two heads.
FWIW, I have watched many a player with very fast swing speeds play this head rather well.
Even the big swingers at Personal Distance came away impressed with the right shaft plugged in IIRC.

The Wilson Staff web site only lists the D200 woods right now so that could lead to the assumption they have 1 head.

Back