Any BBQ smokers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch for a used BGE, the only thing you might have to do on a used is change the gaskets.

Is there anything in the $300-$500 range worth looking at in terms of bang for the buck? If I find myself using it more and loving it, I have no problem spending the extra money eventually but dont want to get one and then just let it sit.

Is there anything in the $300-$500 range worth looking at in terms of bang for the buck? If I find myself using it more and loving it, I have no problem spending the extra money eventually but dont want to get one and then just let it sit.
Dev, I know you're looking specifically for a kamado style cooker, but of you don't find one in your price range and want to stick to under $500, take a look at the Weber Smokey Mountain cookers. There are 2 sizes and both are under $500. They're not as insulated as a kamado, so they use a bit more fuel. I think efficiency is definitely the kamado grills biggest attribute, along with the ability to cook at a very wide range of temps. The Smokey Mountain is more of a traditional smoker, but also quite versatile. The capacity is much higher than a kamado and they are extremely easy to manage as far as maintaining a steady temperature, even on really long cooks. I've had the 22.5 inch version for years and used it a ton for both home and professional applications. Before I got my big trailer bbq I used this for catering events as big as 140 people, yet like a kamado, it's also great for family use.

Might be something to think about if you can't find a kamado that fits your needs and budget.

Particular model? I searched for the one Fupresti posted and saw it at Home Depot for $699. Havent seen it cheaper.

I think its the Classic B-Series that was $500 at the local Sams Club here.

I keep seeing the Char-griller Akron Kamado Kooker for the $300-$400 price range. Is it a piece of junk?

I think its the Classic B-Series that was $500 at the local Sams Club here.

Yeah I just saw it. Its $550 at the local Sams.

I keep seeing the Char-griller Akron Kamado Kooker for the $300-$400 price range. Is it a piece of junk?

No, not at all. Its what I bought Mward. However its not a Kamado, just shape. It does not feature any of the ceramics that make a Kamado a Kamado grill. So I assumed you were looking for an actual Kamado when you asked. My bad.

No, not at all. Its what I bought Mward. However its not a Kamado, just shape. It does not feature any of the ceramics that make a Kamado a Kamado grill. So I assumed you were looking for an actual Kamado when you asked. My bad.

I didnt really know the difference to be honest. Haha Does one work better than the other? I am total newb with all of this.

I like mine quite a bit. I've got wings that need to be done on there some time this week that I'm excited for

I didnt really know the difference to be honest. Haha Does one work better than the other? I am total newb with all of this.

Better? Yes. The Kamado grill featuring the ceramic will work better at heat retention and regulating, especially in colder weather. The other is a solid charcoal grill in the shape of the kamado. It uses the shape and daisy wheel well and I think it can do great things given temperatures outside do not get too cold. The insulation is just not the same as ceramic.

Better? Yes. The Kamado grill featuring the ceramic will work better at heat retention and regulating, especially in colder weather. The other is a solid charcoal grill in the shape of the kamado. It uses the shape and daisy wheel well and I think it can do great things given temperatures outside do not get too cold. The insulation is just not the same as ceramic.

Cold temperatures? In NJ? Nah............haha

62f9a838847b200d6b3bc68bccc3f13d.jpg

Turkey on the #BGE today. Should be done in about 3 hours

c79ad4658a81e8ada699cc905269afe2.jpg

Coming along well, I am getting hungry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back