The importance of growing the game

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
When golf in the Olympics is discussed, it is consistently stated that it will help grow the game. When certain other programs and activities are discussed, again, it will be suggested that they are important to the growth of the game. I can certainly understand the importance of growth if one makes a living in the golf industry. Given the current apparent crisis of slow play, given the number of ball marks found on the greens, to the average Joe golfer, why would growing the game be of such importance. It would seem to me, the reason would be if growth would make the game cheaper. In my area, many of the private clubs are reducing or eliminating up front costs to join in order to attract new members. Many of the so-called exclusive venues are offering reduced rates through packages to attract players. If demand is increased, would this change? I ask because frankly, I don't know. Given the laws of supply and demand, will a growth in golf participation benefit the current average Joe American golfer? Again, I ask this question because frankly, I don't know.

Because without growth, choices for the golfer go away.
Less course choices
Less equipment choices
Less of all choices for the golfer and their future enjoyment of the game. Less competition also brings the cost up.

Growth is always good. Education as it grows is even better. As a sport if we don't have growth then it will retract back to the haves and have nots. More and more public course will close because there won't be a need. I could go on and on.

As for slow play, we just have to continue to educate people. As for ball marks on the green, fix a couple when you fix yours. It takes seconds.

Not for me, I don't need growth, the only thing that would happen is more crowded courses and slow play.

The only people that care about growing the game are people that earn money from the game, the Average Joe is happy with the game as it is today, it's perfect.

Not for me, I don't need growth, the only thing that would happen is more crowded courses and slow play.

The only people that care about growing the game are people that earn money from the game, the Average Joe is happy with the game as it is today, it's perfect.

I knew this old guy in Miami that got up early everyday and picked up kids in an old Van and transported them to a local course. If he had not done this they never would have been exposed to the game. He did this for years. He gave free lessons and really talked about the game to whom ever would listen. One day he asked me to help him and speak to his kids at an annual dinner he put together. I did so with batting an eye. Oh at the time I was make $150 an hour teaching. I gave those kids my time just like the old man. A few of those kids went on to play college golf and most of them still play with their buddies. I go back to the area once a year and still hear stories about that old man. So not everyone needs coin to help the game grow. Some just want it grow because they love the game and what it has given to them.

I knew this old guy in Miami that got up early everyday and picked up kids in an old Van and transported them to a local course. If he had not done this they never would have been exposed to the game. He did this for years. He gave free lessons and really talked about the game to whom ever would listen. One day he asked me to help him and speak to his kids at an annual dinner he put together. I did so with batting an eye. Oh at the time I was make $150 an hour teaching. I gave those kids my time just like the old man. A few of those kids went on to play college golf and most of them still play with their buddies. I go back to the area once a year and still hear stories about that old man. So not everyone needs coin to help the game grow. Some just want it grow because they love the game and what it has given to them.

That's great, and I mean that, I will do the same when I retire, just because it sounds fun.

But I don't see how that helps the Average Joe golfer, it may help create a new golfer, but it does nothing for the person already playing.

This is just not true. Courses are closing all over the country, and when they are gone and less choices exist, prices go up.

Growth is always good. Education as it grows is even better. As a sport if we don't have growth then it will retract back to the haves and have nots. More and more public course will close because there won't be a need. I could go on and on.

As for slow play, we just have to continue to educate people. As for ball marks on the green, fix a couple when you fix yours. It takes seconds.

I understand and accept your statements. Unfortunately, it seems that there a quite few that are rather anal over slow play. Education is indeed necessary, but such will take time it will not happen over night. So if the need to grow the game is important, and I accept that it is, many of those that currently play and want to introduce others to the game, may need to learn patience.

My personal interest in the game growing revolves around gunning newer, younger blood on the course. Maybe not as much as it used to be, but golf is an old man's sport with an old man's mentality. I'd love for the golf environment to lighten up, and I think younger people getting involved is what is needed for those changes to happen.

This is just not true. Courses are closing all over the country, and when they are gone and less choices exist, prices go up.

That's fair, but it's not all over, we're not seeing that issue here in NY, I doubt Florida is either, is it even a problem for most areas? probably not, only those that grew beyond the normal needs because of Tiger Woods.

It's just not reasonable to expect large numbers of people in every town to get into playing golf, is there any sport that enjoys that? I don't see basketball courts full at all times everywhere I go.

I guess the answer is growing the game is important for some, but not all average joe's.

That's fair, but it's not all over, we're not seeing that issue here in NY, I doubt Florida is either, is it even a problem for most areas? probably not, only those that grew beyond the normal needs because of Tiger Woods.

It's just not reasonable to expect large numbers of people in every town to get into playing golf, is there any sport enjoys that? I don't see basketball courts full at all times everywhere I go.

I guess the answer is growing the game is important for some, but not all average joe's.

Actually you are. And so is FL. Both states showed rounds down year over year and dollars down year over year for multiple years in a row.
With that comes course closures over times and rate hikes needed to keep courses going and thriving.

Basketball courts dont cost millions of dollars to build and maintain.

I understand and accept your statements. Unfortunately, it seems that there a quite few that are rather anal over slow play. Education is indeed necessary, but such will take time it will not happen over night. So if the need to grow the game is important, and I accept that it is, many of those that currently play and want to introduce others to the game, may need to learn patience.

I'm sorry I can't get behind slow play or the justification of slow play. I know more established golfers that are slow vs beginners. Growing the game has nothing to do with learning patience.

I'm sorry I can't get behind slow play or the justification of slow play. I know more established golfers that are slow vs beginners. Growing the game has nothing to do with learning patience.

The irony in the whole thing, is that it is rarely the beginners that play slow.

Very true!!

I would actually enjoy playing slow. I'm not saying I do or that it's good etiquette, but if nobody was behind me I would prefer to watch every player in my group's shot, enjoy the detail and beauty of each hole, think and focus on each shot, etc. When I feel rushed, it just becomes about getting the ball in the hole as fast as possible, but golf is so much more to me than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would actually enjoy playing slow. I'm not saying I do or that it's good etiquette, but if nobody was behind me I would prefer to watch every player in my group's shot, enjoy the detail and beauty of each hole, think and focus on each shot, etc. When I feel rushed, it just becomes about getting the ball in the hole as fast as possible, but golf is so much more to me than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I understand, I do this every time I play. But this isn't doing this thread any good. So back to growing the game.

Well, I have enough trouble finding time to play just once a week.

I guess on my own, by just being a good golfer on the course, and that doesn't mean playing well. Paying my dues, helping out with divots and ball marks, buying genuine equipment, being a guy people would like to play with.

There's a boy down south who cleans our golf shoes after the game for money. I give him allowance money so he can go to school instead.

Back