How do you stay in the comfort zone?

ForeOnFour

Leave no birdie behind
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently, for the past 3 weeks, I've been hitting the ball pretty well. I've made some adjustments to my swing this summer and it's starting to pay off. That confidence has transferred to my short game and putting. I'm far from a scratch golfer but this is the most I've felt like a golfer vs a hack.

Driving home from the range this morning and remembering the couple other times I've been in a zone or comfortable place and how it didn't seem to last long before I started to regress.

So have you ever been in a comfortable place with your swing? How long did it last? Did you progress or regress? Are you always tinkering or do you find something that works and continue to improve on it?

I've spent a lot of time working on my swing but never a lot of time on the mental aspect of golf. Do the two go hand in hand for you?

Obviously we would all like to improve but does all the tinkering just make it worse? Are we ever truly satisfied with our golf game?

Sorry for rambling and throwing so many questions out there I'm just trying to figure out how other golfers mentally get to a place of satisfaction and how do they stay there.

It is all in the way you define the comfort zone. If you have a very narrow band of tolerable temperatures; your comfort zone will be correspondingly exclusive. If you admit less than ideal elements; your comfort zone broadens. I do not enjoy losing golf balls; but I've been losing (and finding) them all my life so I must be okay with it. I prefer to shoot in the vicinity of 80; but I get closer to 90 often enough that it is of no lasting importance. In brief: I stay in the comfort zone by defining it broadly enough to include me.

I've only been in the zone twice on the golf course, but many more times on the volleyball court.

It sounds like you focus a lot on your way to playing well, but then do you lose focus or go on auto-pilot after you realize it? I think that's human nature that we sometimes have to fight. I know that I have to focus much more on the golf course than the court in order to keep things going well.

I have only had one stretch in my life where I have felt totally in control of my golf swing. Not sure how I lost it, but I have been searching for it ever since.

On the course during a round, the number one thing I have to do is keep myself in a good mental frame. If I am relaxed and worrying about just the next shot then I usually play better and am much more pleasant to be around. The other thing is, if you are hitting a certain shot today, play that shot and make it work. Easier said than done with some misses, but if you are battling your swing during a round it is so much harder to 1) score & 2) keep in that positive mental frame.

Post round, figure out what you were doing wrong and get back to basics.

I spend too much time away from golf to find the zone. I'll be lucky to find my swing by the second hole. Sometimes I find it on the back nine. Still, I feel lucky to be playing golf instead of doing something else. It's just how it is.

For the few times I've won it's the golf version of a root canal, where I have to grind for every stroke.

Still, any day with golf is a good day.

There's a comfort zone?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

When I get in the comfort zone I simply relax and stay focused on what I'm doing and repeat what's working and stay calm and collected.

To me comfort zone is the same as confidence. As long as I can remain confident, even after a blowup hole, I will do fine. Like most things in life, there is a huge mental component to golf and as long as you don't second guess yourself and play within your abilities you will be "in the zone" more often than not.

Just relax and try to enjoy my time attempting to improve.

Still figuring it out. I think my problem is I don't have a identifiable "zone" in golf, like I can feel it when I'm in it and the results show. I can feel good, bad, a little ticked off, frustrated beyond caring, confident, joking and distracted, focused and grinding, and they've all produced good and bad results.

Back