Bogeyme's ball rack building adventure

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
As I said in a previous thread, this weekend would be spent building a ball rack with my dad.

We looked on line and got a rough idea of what we wanted to do.

I thought a ball rack that was shaped kind of like a putting green would be pretty neat, versus the normal square racks.

So I picked the #2 green at Westchester Golf Course in Canal Winchester, OH. I would call this my home course.

So here is what we were looking at.

0b15f56c1f14b4d04a625834c13c1991.jpg

So we headed to Home Depot to get a piece of wood. We picked up a 3/4 inch 2x4 piece of sanded plywood. $15

Because it wasn't something simple we had to free hand draw it. I'm not sure if you can make out the lines in this picture.

028c9890229fc837b8dcb8629a265643.jpg

We used a bandsaw to cut out the pattern.

cf13d51680099f9f6ec1b8a958de60c7.jpg

We then found a scrap piece of wood (actually two because I messed up a lot of the holes the first time around) to use as a template for the peg holes. We started 1 inch in off the side, and spaced the holes 1 3/4" apart and 2 inches between lines.

1d63085515cd4e2d97ac540a0a097e0a.jpg

We made enough spots for 100 golf balls. 99 regular balls and then a spot for a hole in one ball. The HIO ball will go at the top with room for the score card to go beside it. We made room at the bottom to hang two hats on and at the very bottom we will put pegs for two golf towels I have that I'm saving.

01fbdcf6b920154ddaaf52f851d8fd2f.jpg

We decided the we could even lay a club across the very bottom pegs.

For the pegs we are using these tees. We'll cut them off so they fit in the holes that were drilled since they are longer than the depth of the board.

828cc46f67af1a15532ef13359b5d849.jpg

We're going to paint it two different shades of green. One for the green and another shade for the rough/fairway. We're also going to put a cup where the HIO ball goes.

Last edited:
Great project! Can't wait to see the finished product.

And............. here's the final product.

You can't really see in the pictures but we laid out, the cup, two sand traps, and some rough.

edacbd071b4a4447d5b01ef73f2e504d.jpg

I can't remember but colors of green I chose, but here is the putting surface.

824d50e3af9e62fdb11638453f702540.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the finished product before the pegs.

4a17d695efd1d3db2567f7f494cbb064.jpg

And finally, with all the pegs in place.

2b5a3e7bc52f8cf6c9fd82728e325360.jpg

Some of them needed to be encouraged to go in with a mallet. This turned out to be huge. If I were to do it again, I would have cut the board in half and had a 2x2 board and go from there. I'll post up a picture once I get it hung and everything put on.

Last edited:
Great project! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks. The best part is its going to come in a lot cheaper than what it would cost and I get the memories of building it with my dad.

Smart idea using the tees. Looking forward to see how it ends up!

Nice man. Thats going to be sweet. Love the tees to hole the balls thats a fabulous idea, and the thought of planning for the scorecard and HIO Ball.

leaving room for the hats and bottom pegs for the towels is great too.

Have you thought of mounting it on another board behind it? Or just make some mounts recessed in so it can sit flush on the wall?

Smart idea using the tees. Looking forward to see how it ends up!
Thanks. I was thinking of using regular tees and my dad saw another project where a guys used these tees and showed me and I think they will look good. We're going to leave them white so it should standout pretty well against the green.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures of the finished product here in a couple of hours.

Nice man. Thats going to be sweet. Love the tees to hole the balls thats a fabulous idea, and the thought of planning for the scorecard and HIO Ball.

leaving room for the hats and bottom pegs for the towels is great too.

Have you thought of mounting it on another board behind it? Or just make some mounts recessed in so it can sit flush on the wall?

The hats and towels at the bottom were mid build add ons. We were going to do pegs all the way down but after drilling the first 80 by hand we stopped and counted and saw where we were at. I think it would hold close to 200 or more balls and that will get heavy. So we made some adjustments.

It will be mounted flush against the wall.

Looking good so far! I love the idea, and it's certainly something that you'll treasure for years to come I'm sure!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Looking great can't wait to see it finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had hoped you would take my suggestion and paint it green. It should turn out nice!

cant wait to see the finished product. this inspires me to build something similar, i am wanting to build a club rack and putter rack

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks guys. See post #3 with the final pictures. My step mom got a picture of my dad and I after it was finished that I think I'll have printed and add to it also. Should be a nice touch to it.

Looks great man! I like pretty much everything about it, especially the cup location where you got your hole in one. It's an awesome concept and a great way to keep your mementos!

I love it. Great project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back