Help! Face to Path & Release

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Hey Freddie! Today I took some video of my swing for the first time... ever. I just picked up the game again this spring after basically a 15-20 year layoff - been working on getting my groove back. My swing feels basically good but I definitely have some trouble spots, the symptoms are that I am fighting a two way miss, having trouble with release and timing, feeling all wadded up at impact, and having trouble getting the club "back around" to square. 20+ years ago as a youth I played a super reliable stock fade (w/ strong grip), and pretty much could swing as hard as I wanted. Since picking up the clubs again, I just have not been able to get reliably straight ball flight. Sometimes I will hit a draw, a big push block, or even get over the top and slice or pull-hook. And if I swing too hard, things go south fast.

I have some ideas of what I am doing after looking at these videos, not too sure how to fix it yet. I don't want to seed the discussion too much, but things I notice:

1) Posture - looks like I could use more knee flex, bend at hips, straighten back. I have pretty straight knees and am slumped/rounded in the shoulders and back.
2) High handle / early extension - I seem to be returning the club handle and hands much higher (extended) at impact than address. I also seem to be standing up and pressing hips forward at impact instead of clearing them through. Hmmm...
3) Alignment - I have probably creeped into a more closed position. Historically I like to play more open (I think). But have been trying to hit draw/straight as opposed to fades. Wouldn't mind my fade back at all!
4) Ball position - I have a habit of letting my irons creep to far forward in my stance, I would like to be playing a ball or two ahead of center, but sometime let them creep all the way up towards my left instep.
5) Grip - I see two knuckles on the left, but it looks like my top hand is pretty weak. As a youth I played a 4 then 3 knuckle strong grip, I am pleased I finally got the left hand neutral. Maybe I need to get my right hand more under...

I would love to know what you see and what counsel you might give me. Thanks!

8-iron Down the Line

6-iron Facing

Driver Down the Line

Driver Facing

Last edited:
Just spent a bunch of time reviewing video. Footwork & hip turn looks questionable. I broke my right tib/fib in a hare scramble 10 years ago (new and improved with titanium!) and I wonder if lingering imbalance/lack of flexibility is making things feel awkward.

Evening bump for discussion :golf:

Just found the Maintaining Spine Angle thread - how timely. Definitely have some lingering flexibility issues with hamstrings and right hip flexor that I am going to need to iron out to help support posture & swing..

My swing has left the collective THP brain trust speechless . Was it the vertical cell phone videos? Sorry y'all! #rookie #struggleisreal

I like your tempo a lot

it's hard to tell, but I'm wondering if you're aiming farther right than your intended target line. it looks like you keep looking farther left than your foot line.

I feel like you're bending more in your thoracic spine instead of hinging at the waist.

not much knee flex going on there. that's been a game changer for me.

I agree with you that the spine angle is an issue. but that could be the knee flex.

what exactly are you trying to correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your tempo a lot

it's hard to tell, but I'm wondering if you're aiming farther right than your intended target line. it looks like you keep looking farther left than your foot line.

I feel like you're bending more in your thoracic spine instead of hinging at the waist.

not much knee flex going on there. that's been a game changer for me.

I agree with you that the spine angle is an issue. but that could be the knee flex.

what exactly are you trying to correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CA for your comments and question. I am trying to correct a body feeling that I can't time my release, and often feel kind of awkward and "wadded up"at impact, especially with driver, not as much with short irons, but the same feeling is there. Surprisingly, I am generally hitting the ball respectably close to center, but face-to-path repeatability and consistency are not where I am accustomed, and overall I don't have a good feel at all for keeping my swing path and club orientation. My misses look like BambooBender's avatar, and while often I am keeping the ball in play I want better consistency and feel. I'd like to get my swing under control first, and then worry about clubhead speed later. I used to play a fade and a miss was straight or a bigger fade. Not every miss possible. I'd like to get back to where I have enough reliability that I can feel where my misses are going to end up again, if that makes sense?

Once I get control, then I would like to increase club speed a touch, but its not a priority at all. Control is #1.

Regarding the aiming point, yeah I think I am a bit closed, feet especially. 8-iron I am aiming at the flagstick on the green playing a straight or slight draw. Driver I my aim point is maybe 3-5 yards right of the shiny 250 bullseye at end of range, trying to hit a baby draw.

Definitely deconditioned (for me) and have some back/core stability issues making me slump and and short/injured hamstrings that are killing my hip flex and knee bend. I think a healthy dose of strength and flexibility training is in order to set a foundation for swing work.

Your tempo is good and your swing is good. The action that directs your swing is off. I feel that it comes from a poor set up. Your shoulders are very slopped and forward. Your legs are very straight and could use some flex. The flex will keep you on plane. As I'm sure you know, maintaining your plane is key for solid contact. So I think we need to get your shoulders back and your chest out. Add some flex in your knees.

The crowded feeling you have at impact is due to a loss of spine angle and lack of hip release. You may feel as though you are releasing the hip but you are in fact sliding in front of the impact zone. And in an effort to square the face, your hips stall Ina square position as your spine straightens. This action squares the face but it also robs you of power and consistency. We need to work on your turn through he ball. The key word is turn not slide. You want to turn and impact behind the ball.

Freddie thanks for your notes on my swing, I really appreciate it. I read through the Maintain Spine angle thread and will start trying to get my posture fixed and practice the drill with the stick in the ground behind you to maintain hip and knee flex. I definitely feel as though my hips stall through impact, and will work on that too. This should be fun, I am looking forward to a better feeling posture and freer motion. I also will be doing some strength & flexibility work.

Three years later, still working on this although not in earnest. Just on my own, and when I remember it, which is not often enough. Bad habits of posture and knee flex are not resolved. Re-read this thread tonight and inspired to get this straightened out for next season.

What @Tadashi70 wrote back then is what made me seek lessons this year. Your videos and his descriptions described me to a T. It's lots of work but the results are satisfying and easier on my surgically repaired knees.

Wow, an oldie but goodie. Glad these tips stand up over time.

Wow, an oldie but goodie. Glad these tips stand up over time.

I thought you might appreciate that your tips and effort do not just go into the void! Thanks again.

Back