Shoulder angle at address

Aparisi33

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you guys keep your shoulders completely level on every swing? Some pros have told me to keep my shoulders level at all times while others told me to elevate my left shoulder slightly.

Do you guys keep your shoulders completely level on every swing? Some pros have told me to keep my shoulders level at all times while others told me to elevate my left shoulder slightly.

A bit of spine tilt is always welcome at address. It helps with launch and trajectory. It also helps with staying behind the ball through impact. This spine angle will put the lead shoulder slightly higher than the back.

Nothing wrong with level but slightly raised lead shoulder doesn't hurt.

This right here is what's made the biggest change in my irons and ballstriking in general. I used to play very level and had a hard time coming down into the back of the ball. Now I setup up as if I'm dropping my right shoulder slightly and bam world of difference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I fell into the trap of forcing spine tilt. Because the right hand is lower on the club, the left shoulder will be slightly higher. Don't force it, just let it happen naturally.

Last edited:
i've always felt like forcing spine tilt makes it tougher for me to get back to impact without hitting the ball fat. i prefer level shoulders. let ball position and the lower right hand add the little bit of tilt you may need for a particular club.

i've always felt like forcing spine tilt makes it tougher for me to get back to impact without hitting the ball fat. i prefer level shoulders. let ball position and the lower right hand add the little bit of tilt you may need for a particular club.

Ask your pro, if the right arm is relaxed and you set up behind the ball, there is some spine tilt.

Ask your pro, if the right arm is relaxed and you set up behind the ball, there is some spine tilt.

absolutely. in the last sentence i say, "let ball position and the lower right hand add the little bit of tilt you may need." i may feel level, but hopefully my setup is correct and i have a little tilt. i don't think anybody should artificially lean away from the target.

Back