The Smallest Fix With the Biggest Results?

spaceace414

Reaction score
Handicap
What very small swing fix resulted in big results for you? I know many times we revamp our swing or make big changes, but sometimes just a minor tweak can produce big results.

Mine happened a few weeks back when I had my lesson with my PGA Teaching Pro friend. All of my iron shots felt "fat". I had only hit my new Apex CF16 irons flush a couple of times (and loved the feeling) but could not figure out what was going on.

My friend noticed my swing was a bit shallow at the bottom and I was hitting everything off the second groove. He had me move my hands forward just a bit. Wow. The small change has resulted in me hitting my irons flush and even taking a divot. Such a simple fix but it has changed my game. Breaking 80 is just around the corner for me.

What small change resulted in big results for you?

Grip for me. If the club gets down in my palm, I cannot strike the ball worth a darn in regards to consistency. Then as soon as I fix it and get the grip back into the fingers, it's all good.

Make sure my left thumb is in the crease of my right palm.

My big thing is distance setup away from the ball, especially with driver I have to take my normal setup then scoot back just a smudge and it helps get me off the heel

good question!

recently it has been to get the arms back in front of my chest at impact.

the last one before was just to add some knee flex in the setup and keep as much as possible throughout the swing.

For me it's always about set up fundamentals and grip. When my shots are errant I go back to basics with alignment, ball posistion, and posture and better ball striking returns. My most common mistake by far is poor aligment or my grip getting a little sloppy(hands not united and working as one). I a big fan of Hogan's grip and I revisit those fundamentals from his book every spring.

Weight transfer for me. My yardages had been steadily decreasing the past couple years. Why? I had eliminated pretty much all weight transfer in my lower body. Very planted with the feet, my swing was all arms/upper body.

Getting even the slightest bit of weight transfer back has really upped my distances again. Looking forward to where it takes me, once I can work on it more, and improve on it.

good question!

recently it has been to get the arms back in front of my chest at impact.

the last one before was just to add some knee flex in the setup and keep as much as possible throughout the swing.
Get out of my head!

dropping my right foot back on my driver. Added 25 yards distance and 30 yards direction. Went from frequent slice to fairly consistent pull with occasional hook. Gained confidence where I went from wanting to pull driver and dreading it to being confident even into tight fairways.

Grip and setup are small things that made a huge difference for me. By gripping the club in the palm of my right hand, and setting up on the same plane as I would be at impact, I went from a hopeless slice to hitting the ball straight almost immediately.

dropping my right foot back on my driver. Added 25 yards distance and 30 yards direction. Went from frequent slice to fairly consistent pull with occasional hook. Gained confidence where I went from wanting to pull driver and dreading it to being confident even into tight fairways.
Yes it's wonderful. You are now the 20 index playing partner that has taken this 11ish handicap player to the woodshed all summer long ?

In all seriousness, it has been great seeing you play so much better than a year ago. Well done.

Slow down your back swing. Went from a slice to straight balls off the tee. When I get loose I think back to that tip to get myself back in the fairway.

Alignment by far. If I start to get open or closed and chase a miss it does nothing but compound the problem.

Tempo, tempo, tempo, alignment, alignment, alignment. When these two thing get out of whack for me, it goes away quick and then I start questioning myself and my swing and start doing other stupid things.

Driver stance, I had it just a bit to far forward, moved it back just a bit and seems to keep me in the fairway more often.

definitely going with the hip "bump" on the downswing. Fix some OTT real good.

Keeping my head behind the ball. Too often I line up my long irons or fairway shots with my head in front of the ball, and I end up topping it. If I keep it back behind and swing, I make 1000% better contact.

I learned a single plane swing and started hitting down on my irons and it's amazing what you can do. Ball started going up like it was supposed to and it went straight.

Last edited:
Taking the club more straight back on the takeaway rather than bringing it inside. Made an enormous difference for my game a few years ago.

One small change for me was to address the ball slightly open with short irons and wedges. Has really improved my contact and consistency on those shots.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

For me.. And this literally just happened to me today... Ball position...

One small change for me was to address the ball slightly open with short irons and wedges. Has really improved my contact and consistency on those shots.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Is that for full shots or only partial shots.

Pulling my right shoulder back at setup. That alone helped finally rid me of huge driver banana slices after about 3 swings after spending countless hours watching and trying tips on YouTube. Swing this way, grip that way, put this foot there... One lesson with my current pro and he noted that my shoulders were pointing 30 yards left of the target line when I set up. Tiny fix with instant (and continual) results.

I wonder how many use more than one small fix through out the year.

Back