What is something that a playing partner/golf buddy does that irks/annoys you?

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
I have an older gentlemen that I play with a couple times a month normally that does two things that I laugh about but makes me cringe every time. One is he turns the head of his driver like 45 degrees closed to the ball at setup. He hits a nice little fade with it, but I had to stop watching it before I hit my tee shots. It was constantly in my minds eye when I first started playing with him. I need to slow mo him to see how he gets the club back near to square at impact ha ha.

The other thing he does is constantly remind that when he hits 70 he will be playing from the red tees. He plays from the senior tees now. Ive honestly never heard an age reference for red tees for men, not that there isn't(I dont really know) but Ive always told him to play whatever tees he is comfortable with. However he has these age limits in his head and won't move up or back regardless. He played the whites with me until he hit 65 because of this and had a hard time reaching certain greens in three at times. I told him often to move up but he wouldn't budge.

Ive heard these things every round over and over for several years now. Hes a good guy though and a fun round. Just escapes me why he tortures himself sometimes.

One guy in our group loves play Johnny Miller and commentate the whole round. He's also a big fan of just how good he is, when his HC is middle of the road for the group.
Just a maddening SOB to play with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A partner of mine has a strange twitch he does with his hands to kick start his swing..... watching it tends to get me thinking "don't do that" when setting up my own swing.

Played with a guy last week that had the following sequence in his swing:
Grip, set the club down & regrip, extreme forward press with his hands that then started his swing, super upright swing, with the club head being pointed down at the ground at the top of his backswing, and then follow through....

He was hitting the straightest/prettiest ball I have ever seen, and I had to fight the whole round to not start imitating it.

On the greens, one of my regular foursome takes practice swings after setting up to the ball. They are full speed, until he gets near the ball. Then he stops and repeats until he's ready to go. And they vary in number.

You never know when it's a real putt or practice swing. We all false start multiple times going to our balls because we think he's putted.

I almost wish he gets inside my ball so i can go ahead and putt out before it's his turn. Almost.

Had a buddy in the military that did a perfect David Feherty impression and a cruel sense of humor. I would be dying laughing most of the time but his commentary was accurate and mean.

Had a buddy in the military that did a perfect David Feherty impression and a cruel sense of humor. I would be dying laughing most of the time but his commentary was accurate and mean.

That sounds pretty awesome.

That sounds like a riot haha!

I don't really get bothered by too much out there, but I'm sure some of my quirks irritate others.

Its all in good fun. It wouldn't be the same if people didnt have their quirks. Im sure I have mine too.

I have one guy I play with pretty regular, he will slam his irons into the ground violently when he gets mad. always afraid he will snap one off. I try to steer clear when I see him starting to get agitated.

I've got a few friends who don't do it on purpose, but they'll stand in my peripheral vision when I putt. They don't even know they do it, or don't think I can see it. I don't say anything though because honestly if I'm having to blame them for it, I wasn't 100% focused on what I was doing or I just made a poor effort on the stroke and I'm stretching for a reason why I missed.

Used to play with a guy in league that had about a 36 HC. At setup he'd tilt his spine nearly 45 degrees back, feet about twice shoulder width, place the club about 18-inches behind and 6-inches inside the ball. It was all he could do not to fall over. More often than not, he'd step away once or twice and reset his setup. About 1/3 the time he swung he'd hit the ball, but even then it was seldom a pretty sight.

Then he spent the whole round telling other players in the group what they needed to do to improve their game.

I hope that gave you a laugh. It was excruciating at the time and there was no talking him out of this behavior. Eventually, he dropped out of the league due to the birth of his first child. God help that child!

Chain smokes on the course....

Spits seeds on the green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does missing a putt count??? Just kidding!

My buddy is a "vaper." Not a casual take a puff every so often type, but the thing rarely leaves his mouth. He's insistent that it doesn't smell, but to me it smells like rotten candy.

I have one that talks......constantly...... The only time he shuts up is when he is messing with his phone, and that is only momentary, and then he's right back at it. It's not that he knows a lot about everything, rather it's just rambling about stuff you probably already know. I would compare him to the guy that watches SportsCenter and then calls you up to tell you about a game -- knowing that you were watching SportsCenter too.

Luckily he's been sidelined for the last 9 months due to knee surgery, but will be able to "rejoin" the group in mid-Sept. Oh boy, can't wait..............................................

A few of my regular golf friends have poor flag etiquette. Not a big deal, but it can be a bit of a hassle having to take the flag out and replace it on most holes.

A few of my regular golf friends have poor flag etiquette. Not a big deal, but it can be a bit of a hassle having to take the flag out and replace it on most holes.

Sorry!!! I'll work on it!

My regular "conduct work from the course" partner ALWAYS tees his ball slightly in front of the blocks.... I (and countless others) have let him know that he should tee up even or behind the pegs and he still goes 2-3 inches in front. I pay no attention to it now, but when we are paired with other people I always wait to see their reaction and wait to see how long it takes before they say something.

One guy I used to play with, can't do it anymore, was notorious for the 6 foot rake putt that he would give himself whether he made it or not. He would never properly line up a putt under 6 feet. If you lack the mental fortitude to do it, ok, but stop posting a score until you grow a set or get your head straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddy is on Tinder the whole time. While I wish the best for him, but come on! Between every shot his nose is down until its his shot.

maybe it's like rounders, "if you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." there is nothing anybody i play with regularly does that bothers me, so maybe that means I'M the one who bothers everybody else lol

maybe it's like rounders, "if you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." there is nothing anybody i play with regularly does that bothers me, so maybe that means I'M the one who bothers everybody else lol

I love a good Rounders reference

My best friend drives me nuts when he plays and has a bad round. He usually shoots between 78 & 82, but when he has a really bad round he just gets mad and very quiet. Totally shuts down. The first time he did it I thought I did something wrong and made him mad.

Not quite sure how to approach this. I have thought about mentioning it to him, but not sure if I should? It does affect me in the fact that I feel like I am out there by myself. I want to say, "dude, you are not a pro".

Back