Cleveland Black Driver Review

I want this thing in 12*

Uggh the last thing I need to is another driver

I'm going to take a stab and say this one isn't as good for you as some others 441. Based on spin numbers I saw. Though 12° might change things a little.

I'm going to take a stab and say this one isn't as good for you as some others 441.

When he did hit it...He hit it really well.

I'm going to take a stab and say this one isn't as good for you as some others 441. Based on spin numbers I saw. Though 12° might change things a little.

Im going to take a stab and say you are WRONG and that I hit this well at 10.5* already :)

Hit it better than D200 and maybe even the vseries

Ahh out in CA?

Im going to take a stab and say you are WRONG and that I hit this well at 10.5* already :)

Hit it better than D200 and maybe even the vseries

Hmm. Well do it then :)

Ahh out in CA?

something like that.

Even with my junked up swing, saw some real nice roll too, would definitely benefit from 12* if Im going to keep swinging like a clown

It would be cool if you could hit all three of the light/long drivers at once on a monitor. I just made that comment based on what I saw during your W/S fitting.

It would be cool if you could hit all three of the light/long drivers at once on a monitor. I just made that comment based on what I saw during your W/S fitting.

We can make that happen for him.

Well im only 1 acquisition away from having the trifecta.

But it would have to be outdoors :) Meet ya somewhere warm?

Man that sounds great on a day like today. Brrrrrrrr.

Well im only 1 acquisition away from having the trifecta.

But it would have to be outdoors :) Meet ya somewhere warm?
I know a place. Bring beers.

Four rounds with the new Black driver and it is a game changer for me. 13/14 fairways today. Maximum forgiveness and an honest 10 yards more average distance than my 2012 Black. I have been teeing it up higher than my usual and am now getting great high launch and longer carry. May still be the honeymoon period, but it is a lot of fun right now.

That is awesome TD.

Picked this thing up at Golfsmith today ... man is this club light.

Then I hit it and noticed it gave me about 10 more yards. Yeah, not what I needed to see. And that was the 9.0 degree head.

Picked this thing up at Golfsmith today ... man is this club light.

Then I hit it and noticed it gave me about 10 more yards. Yeah, not what I needed to see. And that was the 9.0 degree head.
Thanks for the bump...I still want one and I hit it better than I have the d200 in my brief encounter

Thanks for the bump...I still want one and I hit it better than I have the d200 in my brief encounter
I can't afford a new driver, but this was a nice club. I'm still amazed at how light it was ...

Didnt need this thread to pop up.

Cant shake the thought of this driver.

If it works as well as the original one does for me... watch out.

Didnt need this thread to pop up.

Cant shake the thought of this driver.

If it works as well as the original one does for me... watch out.

Don't be surprised if it shows up at Lake Jovita in two weeks...just saying.. JB had it in the demo(n) bag..

Always enjoyed Cleveland drivers. Thinking hard about this or the old SL 290 with the Miyazaki C shaft. Loved that driver when I gamed it for a short time in 11' and it really worked well with my slower 95 mph swi g speed. Also it didn't kick left when I swung real hard it stayed on line and had really consistent dispersion and distance. Control was an issue at times but that was my swing when it was erratic. This Black sounds almost identical to the SL 290 or 310 catering to slower, more controlled tempo. Let me know how you get on with it bro.

You all knew it was only a matter of time before I bumped this thread with some thoughts...

A few years back I came in to contact with the original CG Black on a driving range in Tampa. It took about 1 swing for me to become obsessed with that driver. Lightweight, from the head of the CG Black to the ultra light shaft paired in it. Held up solid to my swing and gave me exactly what I looked for in a driver. I gamed it for over a year, and then, like an idiot, moved on. However, it was one that never left my spare bag(s), as I still have it.

Fast forward 4 years, and again, I find myself on a driving range in Tampa, staring at the new CG Black on the block. And again, 1 swing, and I was in a familiar spot. It took me back, and it immediately put me in a comfort zone standing at address.

Aesthetics have changed. Going from gloss black to a murdered out matte black. Nothing flashy, just a matte black finish with some hints of blue on the top. Familiar graphics of Cleveland Black on the bottom. Not a club that will turn heads, but just a great looking club that is styled with an attitude that it needs to get to work.

So, what is the Cleveland Black? Most just assume that it is ONLY for those who have a slow swing speed. Don't let that fool you. I dont consider my swing to be slow, yet it still works for me. Being a club that launches higher (I struggle with a low launch) and less spin off the tee (I havesome crazy spin numbers with a driver in hand), this club is literally a match made in heaven for me. The CG Black, just seems that it was designed with my tee game in mind.

The lightweight head of the Black, again in 2015, paired with a surprisingly light shaft issomething that I really love when pairing a driver head with a shaft. The thing for me in the 2015 version is that the shaft seems more "true" to stiffness. As in, it held up to my swing a bit better than the original C Kua that came in the older model. Being light, yet stout, was something that I felt allowed me to have better control on the new model, and not see my miss be high and right like I would sometimes see from the previous model.

The big thing for me is the launch that this combo gives me. Being able to get the ball up in the air for better carry distance is something that easily adds more yards to my tee ball. Struggling with a low line drive is a tee ball killer for most of the courses I play, so getting the air under my ball allows me to pick up some easy distance.

Control. Well, I have an unconventional tee game. Aim left, bring it back to the center of the fairway. Being able to have full control of the ball off the tee is something I need, and I have all thee confidence in the world that the CG Black will put me in play.

Cleveland did something that I didnt think was possible. They took a driver that I was pretty sure was perfect, and made it even better. Unfortunately, I think most will look at the and assume it is for slow swings only, but dont let it turn you away, take some swings, and enjoy the result. Cleveland just does it right with this line, it just works.

Great writeup dude we all knew like you said it was a matter of time before you blew this thread up. Looking forward to hearing how this club treats ya this year

Great writeup dude we all knew like you said it was a matter of time before you blew this thread up. Looking forward to hearing how this club treats ya this year

Im ecstatic for it to be in the bag.

How is the sound? The OG Black driver was very loud IMO.

Back