If you could go back in time and walk the course for one PGA Tour event, which one?

rlew

Regulators, 2023 Budget Golf Championship #MountUp
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If you had the ability to go back in time and walk the course (VIP treatment, inside the ropes, best seat in the house) for one historic PGA Tour Event, which event would it be and why would it be your No. 1 choice?

The 1987 Masters for Larry Mize's chip? Nicklaus' Masters win the year before or his final walk at St. Andrews? Tiger at Pebble Beach, the 2000 U.S. Open or another of his dominating performances? Want to see Ben Hogan stripe a 1-iron? Be in the middle of one of the incredible Ryder Cups?

I think Nicklaus '86 would get my vote. Would love to watch him up close, and that was monumental. And I know I'm forgetting about dozens of great ones.

2008 US Open, Sunday round with Tiger

Sorry but a big Watson fan. I would want to walk the course in the final round of the 1982 U.S. Open.

Runner-up would be the final round at Turnberry in 1977. Both rounds interestingly enough in a fight with Nicklaus (although in 1982 they weren't playing together).

It would have to be the 1962 US Open with Arnie and Jack.

2000 US Open

Hogan's win at Carnoustie

1913 US Open

Can we go back a little early and put some money down on it?

Easy. 75 masters. Jack, Tom, Johnny three way battle.

I played Pebble the day they closed the course for the 2000 Open. It was a wet, dreary day. The rough was a bear, greens were firm and would get firmer. Scoring with the exception of Woods bore out how hard it was.

But to your question, I think walking in the Nicklaus group at the 1986 Masters would be #1. A not too distant second would be Nicklaus/Watson '77 Battle at Turnberry.

Tiger Woods final 18 at Pebble Beach for his first U. S. Open title June 15-18, 2000. I would love to walk that round and watch how/why he ended up 12 under and the 2nd place finisher was 3 over, 15 strokes. They all played the same golf course in the same conditions, but how/why did he get 14 strokes ahead of the field? I would love to see that in person.

2000 US Open

I would like to see AL Geiberger 59 with old blades and persimmon woods .... there are some that would seem to be a more logical choice but a sub 60 round before explosive woods ,irons and balls has to be a amazing ball striking and putting rounds ever

It's hard to say with so many great matches played over the years, but really we would only have to go back a little bit to walk the course on what was arguably one of the greatest finishing rounds of all time in this years open championship.

I suppose if I had to pick one it would be when every one got mauled by the Golden bear in the final round of the '86 masters--a feat that has been unequaled so far seeing that he was 46.

Ouimet's US Open win

I know it's not before my time, but I would have liked to have walked with Phil when he won his first green jacket in the 2004 Masters. That final round and the way he traded shots with Ernie and the back 9 he had in the final round! Capping it off with the 18 footer for birdie that would give him the win!

I am not a big Phil Mickelson fan. But I would have loved to walk with him during the final round of the 2006 US OPEN at Winged Foot, and yelled at him to keep driver in the bag for the last three holes, which would have given him the victory. He hit 2/14 FIR during that round.

1999 U.S. Open at Pinehurst, Payne Stewart and Phil Mickelson went head-to-head in a memorable duel that wasn't won until the final hole (Stewart). Stewart died 4 months later in a plane crash.

Tigers first Masters win. Take lots of mental pictures and buy a ton of items from the merc tent to say you were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strictly speaking; the Masters, US Open, and (British) Open Championship, are not PGA Tour events. That being said; I think I'd want to see Walter Hagen claim one of his five PGA titles. If the poll is all-inclusive, as I believe it was meant to be, I'd zap back to 1927 and St. Andrews.

Back