Status
Not open for further replies.
Life skills coordinator. WTF is that and isn't is sad that a bunch of adults need to have one?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/08/nationals-hire-rick-ankiel-as-life-skills-coordinator/

Rick Ankiel‘s weird career has taken another interesting turn, as the retired pitcher-turned-outfielder has been hired by the Nationals as a “life skills coordinator” as part of their minor-league coaching staff.

According to the team’s press release the 35-year-old Ankiel “will draw on his vast experience as a player to help mentor Nationals farmhands.”

Few players showed as much promise as Ankiel back when he was a young starting pitcher, few players went through a darker period than when he ceased being able to throw the ball over the plate, and few players totally changed the direction of their career like when he became a major league outfielder.

So who knows exactly what the job of a “life skills coordinator” entails, but if nothing else Ankiel is a very interesting pick for the gig.

actually I think that's a great idea and a great roll for a team to have. Considering it's for the minor league players.

some guys that should be in but won't. Trammel, Mattingly, Mussina and Raines should be getting more support. Trammel and Mattingly were guys the other team didn't want to see. Always here people say players need longevity then criticize the guys that had it but didn't have numbers at the end of their career (could be a a knock on Griffey not getting in first time). Mussina is as good if not better than Pedro. Raines did a lot of what Ricky did but never got the recognition

There is not even a remote possibility that Griffey DOES NOT get in on first ballot. I do think that Trammel and Raines should be getting more support as I believe they should be in. But....I don't get a vote.

A lot going on missed that the Tigers signed Tom Gorzelanny.
Hopefully a better lefty option out of the pen than Phil Coke.

A lot going on missed that the Tigers signed Tom Gorzelanny.
Hopefully a better lefty option out of the pen than Phil Coke.

He isn't bad at all. I like that signing.

Cardinals being linked to Price.. I think the only way something like that happens is if the Tigers resign Scherzer then the Cards can work out a deal with the Tigers.

Personally, if the Cards are going big I would rather trade for Hamels as I think he is the better pitcher.

The longer Scherzer takes to sign the better (IMO) the chances are that he returns to Detroit.

As for Price, I agree the only way he's available is if Scherzer resigns.
I'd love to go through the year with them both in the rotation, but might not be feasible.

Looks like Gattis is headed to the Astros.

They are really improving that team

News from yesterday (I guess): Zobrist and Escobar traded from the Rays to the A's; Rays sign Asdrubal Escobar. I'm skimming so not sure if this was covered in here or not. Hmmm on these moves.

It will be a miracle if the Braves score more than 2 per game the next two years. They've traded away almost everybody but the one guy (BJ) that they really needed to get rid of.

News from yesterday (I guess): Zobrist and Escobar traded from the Rays to the A's; Rays sign Asdrubal Escobar. I'm skimming so not sure if this was covered in here or not. Hmmm on these moves.
Yeah, this season could be rough. I'm hoping they will bring in at least one big bat, but as of now I don't expect to see much offense.

Poor Freddie Freeman. He may be walked 500 times this year.

Very interesting on how john hart is re shaping the Braves. Something like 86 days til opening day.

Braves trade Gattis.

Awesome.

Cardinals lock up Lance Lynn to a 3 Year 22 Million dollar extension. I am thrilled both by the idea of it and the price.

Cardinals lock up Lance Lynn to a 3 Year 22 Million dollar extension. I am thrilled both by the idea of it and the price.
Me too. That is a very team friendly deal.

This is one of those examples that show that it isn't just the players who use the system to their advantage. For every $150 million deal, there are tons like this that favor the team. While the player can hold off a year or two and get the bigger money, if his arm falls off tomorrow, he'd get nothing so you almost have to take it while it is there. Baseball gets a bad rap at times for the huge FA deals, but there is a lot of money they don't pay out as well.

7 mil a year is a great deal nowadays

what was his current deal at? Did they just essentially buy out his arbitration years? Either way, that's a good price and they didn't have to tack on a ton of years.

what was his current deal at? Did they just essentially buy out his arbitration years? Either way, that's a good price and they didn't have to tack on a ton of years.

That looks to be what happened. I thought he had more service time in, but this is buying out his three arbitration years. No options involved, he'll be a FA after the 2017 season.

Yes bought out Arb years. Could work out to 24.5 if he meets all incentives.

Not bad for a guy who has posted last 3 years of

18-7 3.78
15-10 3.97
15-10 2.74

He is a solid #3 and we are getting a lot for a little here provided he continues to pitch as he always has.

Rotation is basically some sort of mashup of this (pending we don't get Scherzer, Price, Hamels, Shields)

1. Wain-O
2. Wacha
3. Lynn
4. Lackey
5. Carlos Martinez/Marco Gonzales

not a bad rotation with 3 young guys

The 1997 and 2005 Marlins don't think the Braves trading everyone away is a bad idea....

To be fair that 05 team had guys like:

AJ Burnett
Josh Beckett
Luis Gonzales
Carlos Delgado
Mike Lowell
Miguel Cabrera
Juan Pierre

It certainly wasn't like what the Braves are putting out on the field

To be fair that 05 team had guys like:

AJ Burnett
Josh Beckett
Luis Gonzales
Carlos Delgado
Mike Lowell
Miguel Cabrera
Juan Pierre

It certainly wasn't like what the Braves are putting out on the field

I get it, I was referencing more of the Marlins' "trade everyone" attitude after winning the World Series. My years may be off, but I thought '97 and '05 were the years after their championships.

Edit: My years were indeed off. They won in '97 and '03, so my post should have reference the '98 and '04 Marlins.

I think it's time we ended this thread since 2014 was so last year :chicken:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back