Mashed Potatoes! And other obnoxious behavior at professional events.

TeedUpThoughts

#TeamNE
Reaction score
Handicap
< Last Yr!
I'm volunteering at the Deutschebank this weekend, and heard my first "live" d-bag yelling out after a drive. His phrase of choice: "Harambe"

After subduing the urge to walk over and throat punch the frat-turd, someone else in the crowd told him to pipe down.

So, THP, what has been the most obnoxious thing you have witnessed at a tour event?

It's still bababooie for me, it's old. I'm sure Howard loves it though. I was thinking what started this "shouting out to the players", and the best I can come up with is "you da man" which I believe started in 1986 at the US open shinnecock, Ray Floyd was pummeled with that phrase.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Yep. This is so annoying. Drives me nuts. I just don't understand why people yell some of the things they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything except for "baba booey" and "Hit'em with the Hein."

I'm just glad the idiot with the multi-colored wig and air horn has left the scene... to my recollection he was the obnoxious original (and not just w/golf).

As somebody famous once said "You can keep your mouth shut and people will wonder if you are a douchebag, or you can shout bababooey (or in the hole, you da man etc) after the tee shot and remove all doubt."

Saw Tiger at Doral years ago and "In the hole" was all over the place

To me one of the most annoying things is the know it all sitting behind you at a Tour event or US Open who has to tell his wife every single fact about each player that comes through and then proceeds to critique each shot they hit. Telling her why or why not it was a good shot.

I'll never understand it. Yelling "get in the hole!" after a drive isn't creative, it's obnoxious.

As a 5 yr volunteer at the Sony. I have 100's of a-hole stories.

Either the USGA, the PGA Tour itself, or the course holding the event needs to step up and eliminate this entirely. Here's how (IMO)

There should be a giant sign at the entrance(s) that says:
There will be no vocal outbursts during this tournament. There are thousands of fans here today that don't want to hear it, nor does the television viewing audience. If any patron yells after any shot, those around them should point them out to security. Security will verify with those in the offender's presence, and if an abundance of proof is obtained, the offender will be removed from the premises. No warnings will be given. This includes, but is not limited to:
MASHED POTATOES
YOU DA MAN
BABA BOOEY
GET IN THE HOLE

The vast majority of fans don't appreciate it, the professionals are affected by it, and it is a distraction to the game that is neither desired nor warranted. Showing appreciation for a shot after it has come to a stop is acceptable, of course, but the outbursts immediately after shots will not be tolerated.

...or some other sort of legal-speak. SOMEBODY has to take some sort of stand or it will continue.

I don't mind it at all and think it's fun to listen to them.

Either the USGA, the PGA Tour itself, or the course holding the event needs to step up and eliminate this entirely. Here's how (IMO)

There should be a giant sign at the entrance(s) that says:
There will be no vocal outbursts during this tournament. There are thousands of fans here today that don't want to hear it, nor does the television viewing audience. If any patron yells after any shot, those around them should point them out to security. Security will verify with those in the offender's presence, and if an abundance of proof is obtained, the offender will be removed from the premises. No warnings will be given. This includes, but is not limited to:
MASHED POTATOES
YOU DA MAN
BABA BOOEY
GET IN THE HOLE

The vast majority of fans don't appreciate it, the professionals are affected by it, and it is a distraction to the game that is neither desired nor warranted. Showing appreciation for a shot after it has come to a stop is acceptable, of course, but the outbursts immediately after shots will not be tolerated.

...or some other sort of legal-speak. SOMEBODY has to take some sort of stand or it will continue.

thank god we don't have this out here. What we have are dumb locals that control there liquor. And what's worse is NFL playoffs are on the tv in the beer tent which is butted up to the 18th fairway. Only beer tent I've seen with Marshall standing in front raising his hands for the beer tent.

Light the candle...drives me nuts. Actually anything said drives me nuts. I think it's dumb.

Anything shouted after a drive grinds my gears. I honestly get annoyed watching tv and hearing dbags shout something.

I was standing next to a guy at the tee box at this years LPGA event in Portland. Suzanne Petterson was having a tough day, was grumpy and had visibly argued with her caddie a few times. Also, there weren't many people there so you could hear everything. Anyway, Petterson hit a beautiful drive. As soon as the ball left the club the guys yelled "Great shot Suzanne!" As the ball headed toward the left side of the fairway the guy kept yelling... "Oh No! Oh no!" The ball faded perfectly into the middle of the fairway and the guy loudly says "That's okay you can play it from there." Petterson turned and gave him the iciest stare you can imagine then walked over to Henderson and their caddies and started whispering to themselves and looking over. It was a little uncomfortable.

Anybody shouting anything like this is nothing more than a moron and should be removed from the course in my opinion. This is grown adults shouting, and it is utterly disrespectful to the game and the players that they have paid to come and watch.

Just about all of them drive me nuts, although if you're gonna be an idiot, at least be original. I heard "Hold the Door" the other day and that one made me chuckle at least, for GOT fans.

Just about all of them drive me nuts, although if you're gonna be an idiot, at least be original. I heard "Hold the Door" the other day and that one made me chuckle at least, for GOT fans.

And as much as I love GOT, I would still have him walked out.

I giggled when I heard "'ello gov'na" after a Paul Casey tee shot this weekend.

Do we consider Professional Golf a Sporting Event or no? For me it's a sporting event. Why shouldn't the fans be able to yell, as long as it's not interfering with play? Maybe there shouldn't be liquor served either. Maybe everyone can walk around with a monocle and twisted mustache drinking tea with their pinky's out slow clapping every shot?

Maybe because I'm a Red Sox and Patriots fan I'm just an obnoxious prick, but I like a little rowdiness.

Wow someone was yelling Harambe?

The memers have officially left the internet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back