Mashed Potatoes! And other obnoxious behavior at professional events.

I'm not sure, but I think it started with some guy following Nick Price around (mid to late '80s, may have been a major, maybe the '82 Open) and got ignorant from there.

Anyone who shouts crap like this should simply be removed from the course.

Either the USGA, the PGA Tour itself, or the course holding the event needs to step up and eliminate this entirely. Here's how (IMO)

There should be a giant sign at the entrance(s) that says:
There will be no vocal outbursts during this tournament. There are thousands of fans here today that don't want to hear it, nor does the television viewing audience. If any patron yells after any shot, those around them should point them out to security. Security will verify with those in the offender's presence, and if an abundance of proof is obtained, the offender will be removed from the premises. No warnings will be given. This includes, but is not limited to:
MASHED POTATOES
YOU DA MAN
BABA BOOEY
GET IN THE HOLE

The vast majority of fans don't appreciate it, the professionals are affected by it, and it is a distraction to the game that is neither desired nor warranted. Showing appreciation for a shot after it has come to a stop is acceptable, of course, but the outbursts immediately after shots will not be tolerated.

...or some other sort of legal-speak. SOMEBODY has to take some sort of stand or it will continue.

Anybody shouting anything like this is nothing more than a moron and should be removed from the course in my opinion. This is grown adults shouting, and it is utterly disrespectful to the game and the players that they have paid to come and watch.

Completely agree with all of these, anyone shouting this kind of stuff should be removed from the course, and if I was in a bad mood they should be barred from any event in the future as well

Too bad there is not a way to brain scan the fans coming in, but you add a little booze to the situation and there is not much one can do, but I'd love to see someone throat punch one of those D bags.........

I find it annoying.

You know what's funny, one of the marketing guys for the PGA tour loves the bababoohis that are yelled. As long as they don't interfere with the players, I see it as an annoyance. Some days it catches me in a poor mood and I want to tackle those guys but for the most part it's laughable at best

Wow someone was yelling Harambe?

The memers have officially left the internet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I heard at least 10 "Harambe"s walking around TPC on Sunday. Both yelling after shots and people using it in place of "cheese" or something from pictures. Mostly by what I'd refer to as "bros".

I heard at least 10 "Harambe"s walking around TPC on Sunday. Both yelling after shots and people using it in place of "cheese" or something from pictures. Mostly by what I'd refer to as "bros".
Yah it's the new internet meme.

People are such lemmings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The worst is watching a European Tour event in China. It's all quiet and everything, then some Chinese copy cat fan yells out with his accent, "Git en da hole" after a drive on a Par 5.....It's both sad and funny at the same time. I don't like the yelling at all and wish it could be removed, but there are times when it is damn funny.

Hit em with hein

Spot on! Harambe has become the latest unoriginal phrase from exactly the profile mentioned. I even saw one idiot with a tie-dye tee shirt with a picture of the gorilla and a halo over its head. Beer in both hands, shouting at any chance he got "Harambe" and the more obnoxious "Di$&'$ out for Harambe" and swearing as I'm walking around with my son and a bunch of other little kids around.

I don't consider myself a prude, or opposed to a good ol rowdy time out drinking with the guys... But have just a shred of respect around kids.

Spot on! Harambe has become the latest unoriginal phrase from exactly the profile mentioned. I even saw one idiot with a tie-dye tee shirt with a picture of the gorilla and a halo over its head. Beer in both hands, shouting at any chance he got "Harambe" and the more obnoxious "Di$&'$ out for Harambe" and swearing as I'm walking around with my son and a bunch of other little kids around.

I don't consider myself a prude, or opposed to a good ol rowdy time out drinking with the guys... But have just a shred of respect around kids.
This would be almost every event under the sun.

I know, but I fear it's gotten worse over time.

I've been to dozens of golf tournaments all over the US. I've encountered one instance that someone yelled after a driver. Outside of that, I just don't hear it. Same with any sporting event. I just don't run into that how of behavior.

I've been to dozens of golf tournaments all over the US. I've encountered one instance that someone yelled after a driver. Outside of that, I just don't hear it. Same with any sporting event. I just don't run into that how of behavior.

I don't notice it as much at other sporting events, probably because its so quiet on the course.

I don't notice it as much at other sporting events, probably because its so quiet on the course.

I actually hear worse language at orlando city games and football games. Kai is always saying 'he said the F-word' I just tell him not to repeat and move on

But the yelling at golf events can get old.

I actually hear worse language at orlando city games and football games. Kai is always saying 'he said the F-word' I just tell him not to repeat and move on

But the yelling at golf events can get old.

Lol, my son used to do the same thing at hockey games with swearing, now he rolls his eyes.

Back