The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Cardale Jones is going to announce he is entering the NFL draft at 3pm.

Best move for him I think. And what an end to the most incredible month of his sports life? From buried on the bench to possible second-day draft pick. I would not complain in the least if the Redskins took a shot on him with a third round pick.

Sounds like Cardale Jones is going to announce he is entering the NFL draft at 3pm.
And he's obviously not interested in school, or getting educated, or anything like that. What's tOSU's graduation rate for athletes?

And he's obviously not interested in school, or getting educated, or anything like that. What's tOSU's graduation rate for athletes?

cordalejones_original_original.jpg

Smart Move.... He is at least the 3rd best QB in the Big Ten at the moment..

GSR is 78%. Which is 3rd in the Big ten and would be 4th in SEC, 3rd in Pac-12, and 2nd in Big 12. So pretty decent. Considering OSU has one of the highest amount of draft picks in the NFL, and still graduates more of their team than most of the other schools is pretty good. And the 4th in the SEC is only by 3 percent from their #1.

#1 in big ten is Northwestern at 97%, #1 in Big 12 is TCU at 81%, #1 in Pac 12 is Stanford at 99%, and #1 in SEC is Florida at 81%.

GSR is 78%. Which is 3rd in the Big ten and would be 4th in SEC, 3rd in Pac-12, and 2nd in Big 12. So pretty decent. Considering OSU has one of the highest amount of draft picks in the NFL, and still graduates more of their team than most of the other schools is pretty good. And the 4th in the SEC is only by 3 percent from their #1.

#1 in big ten is Northwestern at 97%, #1 in Big 12 is TCU at 81%, #1 in Pac 12 is Stanford at 99%, and #1 in SEC is Florida at 81%.

Overall amongst all athletics at OSU, GSR jumps to 89%. Which is pretty typical at most schools. Football is probably always going to be the lowest.

The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

He's definitely worth taking a shot at late in the draft but it doesn't look like he can read defenses very well and he won't be able to bulldoze nose tackles in the nfl.

He does have the one thing you can't teach though.

A 12 gauge for a right arm.

I think urban told him he would have to earn his spot again and he probably just wants the money while he is a hot commodity and I can't really blame him.

Good news is this probably means miller will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be noted, that graduation rate does not always correlate to quality of the education. I'm also not sure how those graduation rates are calculated, but they are not very cut and dry.

Should be noted, that graduation rate does not always correlate to quality of the education. I'm also not sure how those graduation rates are calculated, but they are not very cut and dry.
Seconded.....see UNC.

OK, so I just realized that graduating doesn't really matter when you take five 'real' classes in four years and never write a paper. However, schools like Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc, I'd like to think they're really getting an education. 81% is #1 in SEC? Wow.

To add to that discussion, and just a bit on a tangent, my son was walking through the living room the other night during the game.
He made quite an interesting point.
Kid: They don't get paid, right?
Me: Nope. Supposedly. Why?
Kid: Didn't they just say that one guy was a sophomore?
Me: I think so.
Kid: I was just wondering how those guys have $2000 worth of sleeve tattoos.
Me: Hmm. And half the team has them, don't they?
Kid: Maybe one of their teammates does really good jailhouse tats in the dorms.

OK, so I just realized that graduating doesn't really matter when you take five 'real' classes in four years and never write a paper. However, schools like Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc, I'd like to think they're really getting an education. 81% is #1 in SEC? Wow.

I just looked up how the NCAA calculates some of those. In the Federal standard, if a player under scholarship transfers, he counts against your graduation rate. Also, the rates are only calculated for 6 years after your enrollment date. Even though most scholarships allow a player who leaves early to still work for their degree and complete it at anytime.

What's interesting about the Florida graduation rate at 81%, Vanderbilt is considered a top tier school by most reports, well above Florida.

He's definitely worth taking a shot at late in the draft but it doesn't look like he can read defenses very well and he won't be able to bulldoze nose tackles in the nfl.

He does have the one thing you can't teach though.

A 12 gauge for a right arm.

I think urban told him he would have to earn his spot again and he probably just wants the money while he is a hot commodity and I can't really blame him.

Good news is this probably means miller will be back.

He has a 2 month old baby. Cant blame the guy for trying to make the money if he can. I just hope he doesnt regret his decision.

To add to that discussion, and just a bit on a tangent, my son was walking through the living room the other night during the game.
He made quite an interesting point.
Kid: They don't get paid, right?
Me: Nope. Supposedly. Why?
Kid: Didn't they just say that one guy was a sophomore?
Me: I think so.
Kid: I was just wondering how those guys have $2000 worth of sleeve tattoos.
Me: Hmm. And half the team has them, don't they?
Kid: Maybe one of their teammates does really good jailhouse tats in the dorms.

Remember, free tattoos are pretty much the reason that Urban Meyer is the coach at tOSU.

I just looked up how the NCAA calculates some of those. In the Federal standard, if a player under scholarship transfers, he counts against your graduation rate. Also, the rates are only calculated for 6 years after your enrollment date. Even though most scholarships allow a player who leaves early to still work for their degree and complete it at anytime.

What's interesting about the Florida graduation rate at 81%, Vanderbilt is considered a top tier school by most reports, well above Florida.
Academics wise Florida is one of the highest in the SEC. No Vandy, but it is a good school.

He has a 2 month old baby. Cant blame the guy for trying to make the money if he can. I just hope he doesnt regret his decision.

I don't blame him one bit and I'm grateful for what he did for the tOSU football program .

Well that makes next year a little less dramatic for OSU

But if I was Jones Id do the same thing, hes got mouths to feed and someone will take a shot at him late

I don't blame him one bit and I'm grateful for what he did for the tOSU football program .

It happens way more in college basketball where these agents fill these kids heads up with dreams of being drafted and making millions and they end up touring europe for 10 years barely scraping by. If he works hard he can make a team. Like you said, you cant teach arm strength and size.

Academics wise Florida is one of the highest in the SEC. No Vandy, but it is a good school.

I never said it was a bad school. Just not Vandy.

Although Vandy did give the world Jay Cutler. I'm sure some/most/all Bears fans believe they should lose their accreditation for allowing that guy in the door.

GSR they say has more to do with the quality of the education, which is why they use it...at least that's why they say. it's Graduation Success Rate instead of just straight degrees handed out stats. At least that's how I interpreted the explanation.

I never said it was a bad school. Just not Vandy.

Although Vandy did give the world Jay Cutler. I'm sure some/most/all Bears fans believe they should lose their accreditation for allowing that guy in the door.
I know. I've been agreeing with you. It's tough to say what any of these statistics really mean. So much is tied to how difficult are the majors at any particular school, that most of these athletes are in.

What you also have to take into consideration with Vandy though, is that they do not have an athletic department scheduling their classes and running everything for them. Gordon Gee got rid of it when he was there, so all athletes have to go through the regular scheduling and don't get first pick. You have to think that a good amount of football players at other schools (especially the ones getting degrees after only their Junior year) are doing so because they get by far the best pick of classes and help for them.

I don't know what type of prospect Jones is as this point. The obvious comparison is Jamarcus Russel

What you also have to take into consideration with Vandy though, is that they do not have an athletic department scheduling their classes and running everything for them. Gordon Gee got rid of it when he was there, so all athletes have to go through the regular scheduling and don't get first pick. You have to think that a good amount of football players at other schools (especially the ones getting degrees after only their Junior year) are doing so because they get by far the best pick of classes and help for them.

Or potentially, made up classes and easy grades....IE UNC

Or potentially, made up classes and easy grades....IE UNC

Exactly. But, at the same time if you go under the impressions that every school does the same things to an extent (not necessarily what UNC was doing) then they would balance out and be fairly accurate against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back