Golf Rules Game - How much do you really know?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I think most all of us, including and especially me, could spend more time learning the rules of golf. Of course, I understand the basics. For example, I recently learned that a "foot wedge" isn't allowed? Blew my mind...:D That being said, I know that one of these days, I'll end up embarrassing myself and/or signing an incorrect scorecard because I don't know the rules as well as I should. Yellow stakes? Where do I drop? Huh?

So here's the game. Present a scenario with a rules' question. First person to answer wins. The "winner" then poses another question and so on and so forth. I'll start with a relatively easy one:

In stroke play, you hit a ball that you believe goes out of bounds. You hit another without declaring a provisional. Turns out the first ball is in play. So you pocket the 2nd ball and hit the first. Can you do this? If not, what's the penalty?

Sorry; since you did not declare the second ball"provisional"", it becomes the ball in play and you lie 3 with the second ball. Since you picked up the second ball you must drop as near as possible to where you played the second ball with another penalty stroke.

If you do not correct your mistake you are disqualified.

My question is this:
I hit my tee shot into the fairway but my second shot goes into a lateral hazard to the right of the fairway. How do I proceed?

Absolutely correct, Jeanthemachine! 3 penalty strokes. Ouch. Jeanthemachine has the floor with the question.

Sorry; since you did not declare the second ball"provisional"", it becomes the ball in play and you lie 3 with the second ball. Since you picked up the second ball you must drop as near as possible to where you played the second ball with another penalty stroke.

My question is this:
I hit my tee shot into the fairway but my second shot goes into a lateral hazard to the right of the fairway. How do I proceed?

Option 1 – Play it from the hazard
Option 2 – Replay the shot from the original position incurring a stroke and
distance penalty
Option 3 – Draw a line from the hole to where the ball last crossed the margin of
the hazard and drop anywhere behind that point keeping the point between you
and the hole incurring a 1 shot penalty.
Option 4 – go to the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and
drop within 2 club lengths, no nearer the hole, on either side of the hazard
incurring a 1 shot penalty.

My question is this:

I think all lateral hazards fall under 26-1.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-26/

Jeanthemachine? Do we have a winner?

I've done this several times at courses in both FL and TX:

If your ball hits an overhead power line/cable, how do you proceed if a) there is no local rule covering this subject, or b) there is a local rule?

If your ball hits an overhead power line/cable, how do you proceed if a) there is no local rule covering this subject, or b) there is a local rule?

If there is no local rule governing, you must play the ball where it lies. If there is a local rule, the local rule may require you to replay the stroke.

If there is no local rule governing, you must play the ball where it lies. If there is a local rule, the local rule DOES require you to replay the stroke.

Yes, with no local rule, you must play the ball as it lies. If there is a local rule, there is no option; you must replay the shot (even if the first one was in the hole!).

If there is no local rule governing, you must play the ball where it lies. If there is a local rule, the local rule may require you to replay the stroke.

Done this as well, in NJ. No local rule. SUCKS.

You and your playing partner are both playing the same type of golf ball with the same number; e.g., both are playing unmarked Pro V1s number "3". You both hit it in the bunker. When you get to the bunker, you can't tell whose ball is whose. What's the ruling?

Bueller? Bueller?

You and your playing partner are both playing the same type of golf ball with the same number; e.g., both are playing unmarked Pro V1s number "3". You both hit it in the bunker. When you get to the bunker, you can't tell whose ball is whose. What's the ruling?
Both balls are considered "lost" and the rule regarding a lost ball must be applied.

Dartgod is correct. You are up, kind sir.

Two players are on opposite sides of an elevated putting green and happen to hit their pitch shots at the same time. The balls collide, and one ball goes into the hole, while the other is deflected into a bunker. What happens?

Two players are on opposite sides of an elevated putting green and happen to hit their pitch shots at the same time. The balls collide, and one ball goes into the hole, while the other is deflected into a bunker. What happens?

Total stab since I'm not looking this up. First you would need to determine who was away when the shots were hit. One player went out of turn. So the player that was away his ball is in play where ever it ended up, in the bunker or the hole. Not sure what happens to the player that hit out of turn. Match or stroke play? Different things for going out of turn.

I think most all of us, including and especially me, could spend more time learning the rules of golf. Of course, I understand the basics. For example, I recently learned that a "foot wedge" isn't allowed? Blew my mind...:D
Wait, what's the point of my Foot Joys if I can't use a "Contour Wedge"?

I quit! :angry:

Total stab since I'm not looking this up. First you would need to determine who was away when the shots were hit. One player went out of turn. So the player that was away his ball is in play where ever it ended up, in the bunker or the hole. Not sure what happens to the player that hit out of turn. Match or stroke play? Different things for going out of turn.
Sorry, I should have specified. This scenario is stroke play.

since you did not declare the second ball"provisional"

Gotta make sure to declare it!

[video=youtube;Zp4BQYV0-P0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp4BQYV0-P0[/video]

I think they would both have to play their ball as it lies. There is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play unless the players did so to gain an advantage, and they weren't making strokes on the putting green while another ball was in motion.

I think they would both have to play their ball as it lies. There is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play unless the players did so to gain an advantage, and they weren't making strokes on the putting green while another ball was in motion.
Correct.

It's the stroke play club championship - on the 10th green player A misses the green, but pitches beautifully onto the green, and his ball stops 2 inches from the hole. His ball lies in player B's putting line, so player A walks to the pin, pulls it out, and while holding the pin in his left hand, taps the ball into the hole with the putter in his right hand. As they are leaving the green, player B claims player A has incurred a 1 stroke penalty for using an aid while making a shot.

Is player B correct?

Option 1 – Play it from the hazard
Option 2 – Replay the shot from the original position incurring a stroke and
distance penalty
Option 3 – Draw a line from the hole to where the ball last crossed the margin of
the hazard and drop anywhere behind that point keeping the point between you
and the hole incurring a 1 shot penalty.
Option 4 – go to the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and
drop within 2 club lengths, no nearer the hole, on either side of the hazard
incurring a 1 shot penalty.
Excellent

Back