Big Break Winners - How They Fared

I vote that they go the way of "The Apprentice" series and bring on celebs and former athletes. Just make it a straight up reality series style with money going towards charities.

I would watch that.

I can't stand to watch the show... The editing-in of the "host" comments standing next to each other, acting like they're watching and reacting to a shot "live", is irritating. As was said, an hour is too long.

Big Break Florida winner Jackie Stoelting, as well as Sadena Parks both are in the lpga this year. That was a talented show.

My roomate hates golf, but loves this show. So do I. Never miss it.

I vote that they go the way of "The Apprentice" series and bring on celebs and former athletes. Just make it a straight up reality series style with money going towards charities.

I would watch that.
I would SO watch a celeb version. There's tons of celeb types out there with 0-5 caps.

I would SO watch a celeb version. There's tons of celeb types out there with 0-5 caps.
You'd have more interest in something like this than The Apprentice too, they love golf and it's always in a great location.

celebs won't work, as they already had their Big Break, this is for aspiring golfers. They could tweak it, but I like it the way it is.

With the difficulty of actually making the pga or lpga, I think Big Break cast members have done ok.

The Big Break NFL was fun to watch. Some of those player looked like they can play. I can do with a lot less drama and more holes played but I still watch.

I think there is always an exception to the rule but the show is pretty bad. For me it's about taking he spot of a guy or gal that earned it and can post a good score while the GC throws a person in there that doesn't have the nerves or skill to make a decent run at it. I watched the first season because I had a buddy in it but since then not much at all, maybe 4 or 5 episodes.

I wish they would do away with it and go back to something like pipe dreams.

Pipe Dream instead of The Big Break? Are you Mark Burk? :beat-up: Pipe Dream was about the most scripted "reality show" ever produced. Only other time I saw someone buy a huge RV for under $7,000 was on Breaking Bad.

Pipe Dream instead of The Big Break? Are you Mark Burk? :beat-up: Pipe Dream was about the most scripted "reality show" ever produced. Only other time I saw someone buy a huge RV for under $7,000 was on Breaking Bad.

Meh, I liked it a bit more than the BB, not sure why but it seemed much more about the real dream than breaking glass and hitting lame wedge shots. It's all scripted lol or edited to look like it is.

ddec proves his worth to THP again thanks to the Mallory name drop.

celebs won't work, as they already had their Big Break, this is for aspiring golfers. They could tweak it, but I like it the way it is.

With the difficulty of actually making the pga or lpga, I think Big Break cast members have done ok.

The point is, is this really isn't giving anyone a big break.

Maybe it could use a spin off, and I bet former athletes and celebs would be all over it, viewership would be good too.

I can't really get into the Big Break anymore. I'll try to watch an episode here or there, but they're not really doing anything new from season to season, just the same stuff with different names.

The point is, is this really isn't giving anyone a big break.

Maybe it could use a spin off, and I bet former athletes and celebs would be all over it, viewership would be good too.

I can't really get into the Big Break anymore. I'll try to watch an episode here or there, but they're not really doing anything new from season to season, just the same stuff with different names.
Getting 50-100k, getting .com,or symetra tour fees paid, and sponsorship, and a exemption isn't getting a big break? Ask Tony Finau if his making the PGA would've been easier, and quicker if he had won. Bet I know what his answer would be.

well golf channel viewership of Fehrety and BB on Mondays is up 42% since 2010 in that slot, so some people like it besides me.

Personally, I don't have cable, and watch them online on the golf channel, so can watch a whole series in a day or two, and don't have to watch any commercials.

Last edited:

I enjoyed the first few series when it was shown on The Golf Channel UK. Then the channel went belly up and that was the end of that. I was surprised when I moved over here to see it still going to be honest, in exactly the same format with exactly the same titles etc. not really a fan any of though. The amount of commercial breaks is just ridiculous and the stupid comments from Tom whatever his name is do my head in. The highlight of the show for me now is Harry Enfield voicing the travelocity gnome.

A few current updates on the men's side (emphasis on a few because I didn't have much time to look):

Tommy Gainey is currently -6 and tied for the lead in the Web.com event in Brazil.

Tony Finau is currently +1 through 4 at the Valspar.

Jimmy Brandt tees off at 2:20 EDT at the Valspar. In his career, he as played 16 Web.com events, with only 2 made cuts. This will be his first PGA Tour event. Based on his results on the Web.com tour, I wouldn't hold out much hope he's going to fare very well, but you never know.

I don't think she won on the show but I think Ryann O'Toole is doing OK on the LPGA tour. She was on the USA Solheim Cup team too.

To me it's like American idol. The people voted off early do better than the winner. Tony F. Is one hell of player and didn't win, right?
It's funny this thread came up cause I was just thinking of this yester day, some of these guys look like they could play but because they can't pull off some silly trick shot early in the show they get cut. They should have to be eliminated thru 18 holes not 2 holes at the end, anyone could have 2 lucky holes, it shows a better player to go 18 against someone.

I watch the show because it is entertaining, not because of the talent level. Since I have been watching 4 years ago only 1 person seemed to have the talent to project onto the professional level and that is Sadena Parks.

She didn't win, but all the girls feared her. I have been following her since the show and she just earned her LPGA card from the Symetra Tour. It's her rookie year and I hope she tears it up.

Jimmy Brandt is E through 2 holes. It would be awesome if he could make the cut

I enjoy watching the show. It's fun to watch the people compete. I could do without the manufactured drama, but it is what it is.

As people have mentioned, a number of men have made it to the PGA tour, and even more women have made it to the LPGA Tour. Pretty impressive considering many golfers' reaction is "I could play better than the scrubs on that show." While they're not all tour-quality, there's some pretty good golfers on there.

I cant watch Big Break. There are only so many gimmicky challenges I can tolerate. When peoples fates come down to flopping over a wall and a 3-hole match play it's more luck then skill.

I cant watch Big Break. There are only so many gimmicky challenges I can tolerate. When peoples fates come down to flopping over a wall and a 3-hole match play it's more luck then skill.
Isn't pga golf (or all golf) doing the best with what you got at a particular moment? Pretty sure a few people have lost tournaments not being able to flop when demanded. And lots of tournaments with people tied with 3 holes to go? Sure it's gimicky, as its a reality show, but the gimicks all are a shots they'll have to pull off during a pga career. Including the break glass, and flop wall (obviously without the glass or the wall)
If you can't pull it off in that gimicky situation, you'll probably not be able to pull it off in the PGA. Thus the point of the show, at least thats how I've heard them explain it.

But each of us likes and dislikes different things. Just as I couldn't watch live golf for the last 12 years as Tiger was the only one they showed even if he wasn't even close to winning. Now, whew, he's done, and I can watch again. So many times I tried to see someone I was interested in 4 shots back, but no tv time, as they showed Tiger play all 18@ 22 shots back.

I think it would be better if they went back to paying for their Q School like they used to. (Along with equipment and prize money).

Back