Need help hitting up with driver

drewbagel423

Reaction score
Handicap
After finally getting measured I can confirm my swing speed is 96-99 mph, but driving distance is only around 230-240 total.
One thing I noticed is even though I thought I was hitting up, I'm actually hitting down a few degrees. When I try to correct it, I start releasing my hands early and that's obviously not the right way to do it. I've verified my setup is correct, including spine tilting away from the target line, so that's not the issue.
Does anybody have any good slo-mo videos or images that show the correct driver impact position? I like to start there and work my swing backwards.

This isn't a slo-mo video, but this is a really simple drill that should help you out:

Do you have a video of your swing?

After finally getting measured I can confirm my swing speed is 96-99 mph, but driving distance is only around 230-240 total.
One thing I noticed is even though I thought I was hitting up, I'm actually hitting down a few degrees. When I try to correct it, I start releasing my hands early and that's obviously not the right way to do it. I've verified my setup is correct, including spine tilting away from the target line, so that's not the issue.
Does anybody have any good slo-mo videos or images that show the correct driver impact position? I like to start there and work my swing backwards.

Why are you worried about impact position? It sounds like you're getting what should be getting out of your swing speed.

This isn't a slo-mo video, but this is a really simple drill that should help you out:

Thanks I have seen that one before. Going to try that drill out. I'm more of a visual learner though so I was hoping for a good slo-mo swing I could watch and break down.

Do you have a video of your swing?

I took a video with my phone but the frame rate is pretty poor. It only captured an image somewhat prior to impact and after. Not sure how much it will help. What's the best way to post it? Put it on YT and share the link?

Why are you worried about impact position? It sounds like you're getting what should be getting out of your swing speed.

Really? The folks I usually play with have similar swing speeds and consistently out drive me. My launch angle and ball flight look OK I guess, no ballooning. But the ball seems to just fall out of the sky with very little roll. My concern is I have too much backspin.

Thanks I have seen that one before. Going to try that drill out. I'm more of a visual learner though so I was hoping for a good slo-mo swing I could watch and break down.

I took a video with my phone but the frame rate is pretty poor. It only captured an image somewhat prior to impact and after. Not sure how much it will help. What's the best way to post it? Put it on YT and share the link?

Really? The folks I usually play with have similar swing speeds and consistently out drive me. My launch angle and ball flight look OK I guess, no ballooning. But the ball seems to just fall out of the sky with very little roll. My concern is I have too much backspin.

Yes, really. As the swing coach for THP I like to cover all basis and sometimes a change is not needed. Similar SS could have different load zones, more leg drive or other things that account for the greater distance.

I'm trying to help you but I'm not just going to blindly give you tips if they aren't needed.

What are your backspin numbers? Unless you know that, you'll never know if that's the problem.

What are your backspin numbers? Unless you know that, you'll never know if that's the problem.

I'm hoping to get to a launch monitor I trust (i.e. not GolfSmith) sometime this weekend so I can get that number.

Yes, really. As the swing coach for THP I like to cover all basis and sometimes a change is not needed. Similar SS could have different load zones, more leg drive or other things that account for the greater distance.

I'm trying to help you but I'm not just going to blindly give you tips if they aren't needed.

I appreciate that. I'm wasn't doubting you or your judgement when I asked that, just trying to learn as much as I can.

So at this point it's all about increasing swing speed? I'm only 5'4" and 34 years old so I'm not sure I'll be able to get much more out of it. I'm usually pretty accurate with my drives but another 10 yards would really help me on some of the longer par-4s I play.

I'll try to post a video later of me trying the drill in the video above, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

I think a single snapshot in time is not as useful as a video. Understanding how and why you got to that position is a better way. Post to youtube. It can be unlisted, and share the link.

I appreciate that. I'm wasn't doubting you or your judgement when I asked that, just trying to learn as much as I can.

So at this point it's all about increasing swing speed? I'm only 5'4" and 34 years old so I'm not sure I'll be able to get much more out of it. I'm usually pretty accurate with my drives but another 10 yards would really help me on some of the longer par-4s I play.

I'll try to post a video later of me trying the drill in the video above, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

What is you ball position? What ball are you using?

google "trackman golf swing speed chart" and check out the range from 93mph to 100mph. carry should be in the range of 220-240, total in the range of 246-258. that's optimum, so no accounting for mishits. any small deviations from those numbers could be playing an ill-fitting ball, not enough loft on the driver depending on your specific swing characteristics, an improperly fit shaft, or characteristics of your swing that are robbing you of distance (for example casting the club). so basically, i think you're close to being maxed out.

personally, i'm close to you in swing speed, and i was usually in your same distance range. i've been able to boost that with some better swing mechanics and better-fitting equipment.

I think a single snapshot in time is not as useful as a video. Understanding how and why you got to that position is a better way. Post to youtube. It can be unlisted, and share the link.

Will do. I just meant that if one was interested in going frame-by-frame it'd be missing the moment at impact.

What is you ball position? What ball are you using?

Just inside my left heel. Usually play Pro V1s, but this year starting testing out NXT Tours with no measurable difference. Was going to try out TaylorMade Tour Preferreds and Project(a)s next.

google "trackman golf swing speed chart" and check out the range from 93mph to 100mph. carry should be in the range of 220-240, total in the range of 246-258. that's optimum, so no accounting for mishits. any small deviations from those numbers could be playing an ill-fitting ball, not enough loft on the driver depending on your specific swing characteristics, an improperly fit shaft, or characteristics of your swing that are robbing you of distance (for example casting the club). so basically, i think you're close to being maxed out.

personally, i'm close to you in swing speed, and i was usually in your same distance range. i've been able to boost that with some better swing mechanics and better-fitting equipment.

Thanks. I assume my speed is in between a regular and stiff flex, probably leaning more towards the regular end because I feel like I have a slower tempo. Again I'm doing most of this on my own because I don't really trust the numbers from my local GolfSmith, and getting to the PGA Store has been a challenge lately.

Looks like you're getting lots of help from knowledgeable people. I only have one word - video - and post it.

For example, I had a terrible flip that added loft, my ball fell out of the sky although I was hitting up and teed up with ball just off my lead big toe. My SS is about 90-93. Flip corrected. Video.

I have the same swing speed- 95-100. I carry 225 and roll to 245.

Golfers swing very differently when there is a ball on a tee. I'm sure Tadashi will assist you if the video is down the line and caddie view with a ball.

It looks like you're losing that spine tilt during the backswing.

Your swing is all arms at this point in time. You're lift the club instead of turning and allowing the club to follow the path of your shoulders. By lift the club up and around with your arms you have created a very crowded area at the top of your swing. This is further enhanced by the loss of knee flex in the right leg.

On the down swing in order to create space you're standing tall but still holding the angle created by the club and the hands. Your left shoulder is in front of the ball prior to impact and your hands are right on top of the ball. But the club head is way behind the hands. This means it's open at impact. With the shoulders out in front and the club head lagging behind, you should see a lot of weak right shots. If you do manage to close the club face it's anyone's guess as to where the ball will go.

Contrary to popular belief a long swing doesn't always create more power, especially in your case. Now if you learn to turn the shoulder and allow the arms to follow, this would be a great start. Keep some knee flex in the right leg and swing the arms through the zone, you see more consistent balls off the tee. Add some waist bend to this equation and you'll really start seeing some descent shots.

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of good points to work on. Any good video examples I can use to compare to?

Back