Is there something better than a Sharpie to make a ball mark?

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
BullStencil_zpsf9a46e2f.png

I want to get this stencil to mark my golf balls. Typically I use a Sharpie, but I'm wondering if there is a better option.

I know when I used to shop at Jerry's Used Balls in Phoenix, I used to get Pro-Vs that were one grade under their very best. Often, a personalized mark on a ball would put it in this category, even if the ball was pristine.

My question: what kind of ink were these made with? My Sharpie marks wear off by the end of the round. The marks on the balls I bought were completely permanent.

sharpie is probably the best you're gonna get. make sure it dries before using or throwing back into your bag

Golfdotz! I love them.

www.golfdotz.com

I tried these (I bought a mixed pack of Spades, Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs) and hoped they would be the answer. They ended up coming off very quickly and would even get down into the grooves of my irons.

I got the English flags, targets, and American stars before. Put them on my pings to distinguish them as well. They hold up really nicely and seem to last through multiple rounds. They also don't effect ball flight or contact.

image_zps97267a46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I tried these (I bought a mixed pack of Spades, Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs) and hoped they would be the answer. They ended up coming off very quickly and would even get down into the grooves of my irons.

Weird...I never had that problem with the ones I got. maybe I just luckily never had them positioned right at the impact zone.

I got the English flags, targets, and American stars before. Put them on my pings to distinguish them as well. They hold up really nicely and seem to last through multiple rounds. They also don't effect ball flight or contact.

image_zps97267a46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I did love the concept. I bought them at GolfSmith about 8 or 9 years ago on clearance. They told me that people were complaining they didn't last; they sure didn't for me. Maybe they've improved now!

But for me, I'm still looking for whatever ink/paint was used to mark the used balls I bought. That stuff just would not come off! I'd love to have it in black to use with the bull stencil.

I did love the concept. I bought them at GolfSmith about 8 or 9 years ago on clearance. They told me that people were complaining they didn't last; they sure didn't for me. Maybe they've improved now!

But for me, I'm still looking for whatever ink/paint was used to mark the used balls I bought. That stuff just would not come off! I'd love to have it in black to use with the bull stencil.

Those logos may have been printed on....

yea all the ones I got were last summer. So maybe they've improved.

Also, some random start up company liked some of my photos on instagram called MarkiGolf? Supposed to be "premium" permanent markers for golf. Who knows...

www.facebook.com/markigolf is what it lists as the website.

If you really want to go big (and we're talking really big in terms of price) and really want to do it yourself, this is the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtBWI_bZ8E

In a more serious answer, if you're really looking for something really permanent, you could use Photoshop or some other graphics program to create an image file with that bull. Then you could upload it as a logo to one of the various sites that let you order balls with custom logos. I've never done it, but I think most of them discount the price depending on how many dozen you buy.

Those logos may have been printed on....

Nope, they were lines or dots that people typically do.

Surely you've found and played a ball that had a personal mark on it that would never fade? As for the Sharpie, I do let the balls completely dry before playing with them and the mark will be lucky to last a full round.

I know there must be something out there...

Nope, they were lines or dots that people typically do.

Surely you've found and played a ball that had a personal mark on it that would never fade? As for the Sharpie, I do let the balls completely dry before playing with them and the mark will be lucky to last a full round.

I know there must be something out there...

I don't think I have man. I line my balls, but eventually they fade, I just reapply if necessary.

If you really want to go big (and we're talking really big in terms of price) and really want to do it yourself, this is the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtBWI_bZ8E

In a more serious answer, if you're really looking for something really permanent, you could use Photoshop or some other graphics program to create an image file with that bull. Then you could upload it as a logo to one of the various sites that let you order balls with custom logos. I've never done it, but I think most of them discount the price depending on how many dozen you buy.

Definitely a back-up plan, thanks! I've ordered custom printing with words, and I've also ordered balls to give away at trade shows, so I know it's a possibility to consider.

Don't know how feasible it would be, but have you considered the permanent CD / DVD markers?

Might try one myself once the weather changes as I am sure I have a couple lying around somewhere in my PC room

I've just gone to buying personalized balls. When they run a deal, the personalization is free and I put my LLC on them and give away some to clients so I can deduct them as a business expense. I will say 18 holes in the lettering does start to wear but that's one way to know that you've hung on to the ball for a while :)

I just visited a similar site earlier today, and I can get a bull stamp for $9.99 + shipping. It's only in red ink though. If I can't find a good permanent marker solution, I'd definitely consider this as an option (I wonder how "permanent" the stamp is though).

from the few people i played with that had it, the mark lasts more than a sharpie...the one person who i rode with they had their mark look almost like new after 1 round.

Anything that is printed or marked on the surface will not last. Sharpie does just fine if you let it dry and aren't smacking it with the clubface and bouncing it off trees/cartpaths etc.

I don't think I have man. I line my balls, but eventually they fade, I just reapply if necessary.
I wish I played well enough for that to be a problem.

Pattyboy, if you do get the Tin Cup stencil, you will also need ultra fine point sharpies (if you go that way). The regular sharpie's tips will not fit in the tighter areas. Just a heads up.

I really want to try the Marki Golf ones, but can't seem to find them online to buy.

Back