What golf stuff did you learn today?

I learned that I like graphite shafts on irons better than steel.

You need to come out for a local DFW THP gathering. ALL kinds of gear you can try on the range/course. I have the Recoils in my Big Bertha irons you can try also.

I learned that my local golf shop won't bend the TaylorMade RS1 2's that are on the way because they are "soft cast" and could break. I sent an email to TaylorMade, and I've yet to ask Golfsmith whether they can bend them. The last set of cast irons I played were Ping ISI and I had Ping bend them and change the color code as I lived in Phoenix then. I play 2-degrees upright.

It never occurred to me that cast clubs couldn't be bent, but I guess it makes sense.

You need to come out for a local DFW THP gathering. ALL kinds of gear you can try on the range/course. I have the Recoils in my Big Bertha irons you can try also.
Yeah, I don't think I can make the Pecan Valley thing this weekend, but I'll be out at something soon.

In the meantime, I'm being a pest at Golfsmith. :)

I learned that when I release the club head, the ball flies farther and straighter. I have a big problem with not turning my forearms over in my follow through, but it's a work in progress.

There is a reason I keep going back to old favorite clubs - they work. I took a TM RBZ Stage 2 hybrid to the course yesterday, and hit it great. My old fave driver, the 2007 TM Burner is also back in the bag after I fooled around with newer versions of TM drivers.

To stay on the range when its soggy wet with 25+ mph steady winds.

Golf is so much easier when you play from the fairway.

To stay on the range when its soggy wet with 25+ mph steady winds.
Same weather in south GA. Learned my lesson yesterday so opted for the somewhat less stressful activity of raking, blowing and burning leaves today.

I learned again that feel isn't real. What felt like me doing a decent driver takeaway was in fact leaving me with a massively closed clubface, which is more more likely to have been the cause of my recent snap hooks than my "aggressive" driver transition. That transition, which I thought might be too quick and too fast of a downswing, is anything but. I video'd myself and oh my word, my downswing is SLOW. So I learned that too, along with the fact that what I thought was me taking the driver more around my body was a lot more upright than I thought.

I really need to get back into videoing myself more often.

Just seeing this today.

Boy you are so spot on. Video tells no lies, we we think or feel we are doing is very often nothing close to what we are actually doing.

Last edited:

"Swing the handle"

Saw this on THP recently, and put it to work in my hitting bay. I've been working on making my golf swing feel like my old baseball swing but it wasn't always feeling right. So I added this to the swing and it did something notable. It made me stand closer to the ball. That allowed me to keep my hands in during the downswing.

I'd been told by an old teammate of mine (who is a single digit handicap) that the golf swing and hitting an inside pitch were very similar. By focusing on swinging the handle and keeping my hands in I felt that connection.

The results were pretty positive as well, as much as optishot could tell me. Definitely enough feedback to warrant further practice of this and see where it goes from here.

Didn't learn it today, but last week during our round ArmyGolf gave me a little sand tip, to "keep your hands really low and swing steep." Kept it in mind yesterday and hit my only sand shot to about 5 feet. Hoping it's a sign of things to come!

Didn't learn it today, but last week during our round ArmyGolf gave me a little sand tip, to "keep your hands really low and swing steep." Kept it in mind yesterday and hit my only sand shot to about 5 feet. Hoping it's a sign of things to come!
Taking advice from me is probably a good way to shoot higher scores, but in this case I'm glad it worked for you.

I learned yesterday that i need to stop hitting it fat!!!

Taking advice from me is probably a good way to shoot higher scores, but in this case I'm glad it worked for you.
Lol well in the case of sand play, there was very little room for me to get worse so I figured it was worth the risk. :alien:

I learned for he hundredth time that balance is maybe the most important thing in a golf swing. I had a long range session for the 4th day in a row and am maybe hitting it better than I have in a decade. It's amazing what hitting 1000 balls in 4 days can do to improve ball striking.

I learned that my new SLDR S 3 wood has almost exactly the same head size as my old Dunlop driver, but with 5 degrees more loft and about an inch shorter shaft.

Metalwoods sure have gotten bigger in the last 10 years.

I've been trying to get rid of my OTT move completely this year (it rears its ugly head when I swing too hard), and I always have trouble with my right arm in the swing, and seeing this video made a few things click as nobody, on youtube or in lessons explained it like this before. Wish I seen this 10 years ago!

[video=youtube;Or-Zl2L6OGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-Zl2L6OGY[/video]

That therr is a ton of awesome looking new equipment in 2015 thanks to THP's unparalleled PGA Show coverage

Learned what bounce in a wedge is. As well as some awesome info on the J15 line from Bridgestone. I so can't wait to fill my bag!

I have widened my stance a bit and watched some of Moe Norman's videos. I have implemented some things and my ball striking has been pretty good lately. I'm going to try one more idea and see how things turn out.

I need to put some putting work in. Couldn't get anything to fall today.

A slight adjustment to my wrist hinge had me making crisp contact with my irons & hybrids. I just kinda figured it out on the range this morning.

Back