What Tees Would You Play?

You look at the card and see three long holes. I look at the card and see two holes that I need to hit driver. A driveable part four and reachable par 5s. I lick my chops looking at this card at a distance most Courses play their white tees.

I am of the same mindset. I'm usually playing 6500-6900 and looking at the card I see some holes I can attack and be aggressive with & shoot for par on the longer holes.

You look at the card and see three long holes. I look at the card and see two holes that I need to hit driver. A driveable part four and reachable par 5s. I lick my chops looking at this card at a distance most Courses play their white tees.
I get your point Freddie. I'm not saying I'd never play those tees - the overall distance is in my wheel house. But if I hit my driver 250 I've got three holes with 200+ yard approach shots. That's potentially a sign of playing the wrong tees.

Red for me but I would be open to playing white too.

If it was up to me, I'd most likely play members. Looks like it's a good mix of playable and challenging for me.

I think I could handle Members on a better day. Blue for a THP event.

Blue as I am here to have fun. If I played this place a lot like my home course I would do the yellow (members).

I get your point Freddie. I'm not saying I'd never play those tees - the overall distance is in my wheel house. But if I hit my driver 250 I've got three holes with 200+ yard approach shots. That's potentially a sign of playing the wrong tees.
Or get a 200 yard game

I think I could handle Members on a better day. Blue for a THP event.
What are you talking about? You bang the hell out of the ball.

What are you talking about? You bang the hell out of the ball.
It's called posturing. I've personally helped this guy and seen his game. He can play any set of tees he wants.

Surprised that no one has brought up the stupidity (IMO) of 3 different sets of tees only have 400 yards or so between all 3 of them. Why not have just the tips and the blues, what's the point of the members tees? It just screams laziness to me when multiple holes have multiple tee boxes playing from the exact same distance (ex: hole 1 with black and members tees both at 361).

To answer the question in the OP, I'd tee it up at members or blues, whatever the rest of my group was doing.

I think it makes perfect sense, actually. I don't mind playing from 6,900 yards or frankly 6,450 but I have zero interest in playing 470 yard par 4s. Creating the member tees could have come from a mixed tee built by the membership (see: tee name) to accommodate a greater range of golfers.

My course has done very much the same, despite there being only a 200-250 yard gap between tees. In many cases it makes a HUGE difference, my course included.

The first time through, I would probably go with the Members tees. After that, either stay there or go to the black if that's what the rest of the group wanted. I don't mind playing up or back.

I agree with you completely. I'm all for playing every club in the bag, but 3+ over 200 carry on a good drive into a hole is probably time to move it forward a little bit. I suppose it depends on the individual though. Some want to max out their distances, and some prefer to just enjoy golf casually.

I agree with you guys. A local course has 2 par 4s I can't reach with 2 perfect shots from 6250. It also has 2 drivable par 4s but I still hate that kind of design.

I agree with you completely. I'm all for playing every club in the bag, but 3+ over 200 carry on a good drive into a hole is probably time to move it forward a little bit. I suppose it depends on the individual though. Some want to max out their distances, and some prefer to just enjoy golf casually.
You hit it long and straight, threw holes that challenge your long game don't interst you?

You hit it long and straight, threw holes that challenge your long game don't interst you?

I guess it depends who I am playing with and what the conditions are like. As is advertised, it doesn't appear as though length is the greatest strength of this course, and I'm sure I'd have fun on any tee box I played.

FWIW, unless you carry the ball the entire distance, that par 4 is not reachable.

I think it makes perfect sense, actually. I don't mind playing from 6,900 yards or frankly 6,450 but I have zero interest in playing 470 yard par 4s. Creating the member tees could have come from a mixed tee built by the membership (see: tee name) to accommodate a greater range of golfers.

My course has done very much the same, despite there being only a 200-250 yard gap between tees. In many cases it makes a HUGE difference, my course included.

This is exactly right. I love courses that give multiple options and in this instance they did so to accommodate a large range of golfers built by the membership base for their weekly games.

One of my favorite resort courses in the state has done the same.

If I was only looking at the yardage I would be happy to play any of the tees - yes, the 2 long par 4's and the par 3 from the back tees would be more difficult but I would give them a go

I have played a number of short tricky courses before and I do like the challenge of having to think your way around the course more than grip it and rip it on wide open courses

I'd say the blues. While it's fun to hit driver and woods and take advantage of a short course, I'm coming to understand the embrace the strategy of being smarter about what club off the tee really gives me the best second shot on trickier courses. Looking at the score card and knowing nothing about the layout, I'm seeing a lot of tough handicap holes coming in at less than 420 yards. Pretty sure there's a reason.

Not knowing the layout and seeing this would also make me wonder.....aside from the tight tee shots, is there a lot of forced carries/layups that contribute to making this course a lot harder than it would seem from first glance at the card??

First time around, blue or white, I am out to have fun, not beat myself up.

I would probably play blue or even white my first time around. Tight course with small greens probably calls for putting your ball in good spots off the tee, and it would be more enjoyable at a shorter yardage. Once I could get a feel for the layout, I would consider moving back.

I could handle the blue, but the white would be VERY comfortable. Its nice to be able to hit par 4's with a mid to low (6-W) iron once in a while. I play too many courses where par 4's are a driver and hybrid or FW for me.

White or Blue.
The yardages are not bad, but if I was pre-warned on course difficulty I would probably move back.

Where in Texas is this course? ?

I would either play the Members or the Blacks. Right now, blues. If it was during the Summer and I have a few rounds under my belt, maybe the blacks.

Last edited:
For myself I would start with either the Blue's or Member's, then go from there.

I would play members or even the black.

Back