DG XP95 vs KBS Tour 90

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anybody compared the two

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have, the XP95 is a stock option for my irons and the KBS Tour 90 was one of the aftermarket shafts I tried during my fitting.

For background I tried both with a 7 iron and my driver swing speed is 106mph so I fell into the stiff category for both. I was looking for something that could help get my launch angle higher without going graphite as I don't like the lack of feel at impact.

They felt almost identical at impact. They have a slightly dampened feel vs heavier shafts but you can still tell if you toed, thinned, fat etc. So feedback on both was subtle but good.

For weight you can tell the KBS is a tad heavier but if you're switching from a standard weight steel shaft either one will feel like a featherweight.

Ball flight was very high on both and both shafts were within a 5yd range with no advantage distance wise.

Honestly, they were so similar it was a toss up. I tried 7 shafts that day and these two were both the best for what I wanted. I only chose the XP95 because it didn't require a custom order.

I don't have as detailed feedback as schuff, but have generally the same conclusion. It's been a couple years since I played the KBS Tour 90, but absolutely loved them. I demoed the XP95 in both the Ping G30 and AP1 last year. it felt pretty good as well. But probably would choose the KBS over it for my use. If I had gone with a steel shaft on my most recent order it would have been the KBS Tour 90

Yea my only experience with KBS was tbe KBS 90 that was in my old R11 irons

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i've never gotten along with kbs, and i've heard some troubling things about their qc. the px/tt family has always felt better and performed better for me.

Just something to consider if you are reshafting, the XP95 is tip reinforced, so if you are coming from a shaft that was tip reinforced (TT, PX, Nippon) you will end up with a similar swingweight. KB doesn't have tip reinforcement capability so their swing weights will be lighter compared to the tip reinforced products.

Back