Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh brother I dont think anybody would ever put that label out there. We have always been clear, by essentially being unclear, in regards to obligations. That is why I wanted to start the thread, because I was very interested in the response of the people here.

Sorry I just feel as if some in here that have never had the experience may be a little off-base with what they are saying. For a ton of people a year is a long time to play equipment (it is a sickness really haha), but I still have quite a few clubs in my bag going on over a year from that event... Also everything but my irons is Callaway meaning post event I am still supporting the brand for the treatment they gave us.

I will add to what I said earlier that just because I might stop gaming the equipment doesnt mean I would sell. Some I would keep for memories and some would be offered to a THPer to try. Again that would be after I gave it my fair rundown.

JB - you asked a genuine question, it's only fair I give a genuine honest answer.

There is no obligation by the THPer to hang onto or use that equipment. I have never played in one of those events. But I have been at THP events that have had equipment, lets call them perks. There was one early last year, irons were involved. The irons involved did not agree with many of the guys at the event. Very few of those sets lasted in THPer bags. Mine did, but I know that there were a few that ended up on the THP marketplace, and relatively quickly there after.

It would be nice if the THPer fell in love with the equipment enough to game it for a long period of time. But THPHQ, the OEMs, or the golfer cannot force that to happen. I like the think that sometimes life gets in the way and there is such need for extra cash that the equipment gets sold to help offset the unforseen. I know that it doesn't always happen that way.

I will say, if there is equipment perks that do end up for sale in the marketplace, I believe it's only fair if they go up for a steal of a price.

Let me preface this by saying there is no right or wrong answer here, but I have a question as I prepare for THP Events in the future. If you get into a THP Event that comes with a full bag of equipment. How long do you think its right to play it? What I mean is I know everybody on THP is different and some change equipment a lot and others not much at all. But let's say for the sake of the discussion, you get into an event that gives you a bag full of equipment (THP has multiple events like this), is there any obligation on your end (not from THP), that says you should continue to play it for a period of time? Or, are you cool the next day or week, offing it for something else? I say this strictly about THP Events, not about doing forum testing, which is very different in my opinion.

I ask this genuinely and as mentioned there really is no right or wrong answer, just looking for feedback.

Based on a past lifetime, if I entered and won a roping where you were given a truck you were required to use that truck for a period of (1) year. They also had the right to use your likeness during that time as advertisements. I also had sponsors that would get a little pissy if they found out I was using a competitors product while they were paying me.
So, just out of habit, if I was given a bag and a set of clubs I would feel obligated to use all of it for at least a year.
I don't have an issue with people doing otherwise but I do think it flies in the face of a company that did something for you.
Just my opinion.

I guess I have always tried to fulfill my obligation to the company that provided me with a wonderful opportunity. I hope that company and THP feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are in different situations also, some may encounter financial difficulties and see their equipment as a financial asset, and sell off to raise money.

Myself, I think I'd regret it immediately, those clubs sit next to my chair, with a glance the memories, and emotions flood my mind.
I could not fathom not being able to replay the memories with a glance.

I've always felt a personal obligation to play that equipment until the OEM comes out with something else. Nobody has ever told me to feel that way, but it's just sort of what I feel is right. Game the gear and talk about the gear (pros and cons) as often as possible and when the new stuff comes out feel free to look forward to trying that, same OEM? Great but not required necessarily.

This is basically where I stand. It may have to do with the fact that my season is so short but I tend to game the stuff for at least the year if not beyond. When I do ponder new gear, I always tend to look at companies that provide these amazing opportunities to THPers as well.

Isn't this part of the discussion that JB was hoping for.

I dont think calling people out is part of what this discussion was to be about which is where it looked like that was headed.

JB - you asked a genuine question, it's only fair I give a genuine honest answer.

There is no obligation by the THPer to hang onto or use that equipment. I have never played in one of those events. But I have been at THP events that have had equipment, lets call them perks. There was one early last year, irons were involved. The irons involved did not agree with many of the guys at the event. Very few of those sets lasted in THPer bags. Mine did, but I know that there were a few that ended up on the THP marketplace, and relatively quickly there after.

It would be nice if the THPer fell in love with the equipment enough to game it for a long period of time. But THPHQ, the OEMs, or the golfer cannot force that to happen. I like the think that sometimes life gets in the way and there is such need for extra cash that the equipment gets sold to help offset the unforseen. I know that it doesn't always happen that way.

I will say, if there is equipment perks that do end up for sale in the marketplace, I believe it's only fair if they go up for a steal of a price.

To be fair, the entire point of Ultimate Club Testing (the event you were referring to), was to test the equipment and review it on THP for a period of time. I think most did that. It is a bit different than an event like #TheGrandaddy and others. Just my opinion but in the Ultimate Club Testing events, it says prior to signup that you will be reviewing the clubs.

If I were ever chosen to participate in an event that came with a full club deal I would of course game that bag for a while. I do believe if one gets chosen for such an event they would atleast be obligated to THP and the equipment provider to give honest revies and answer questions about the equipment when needed. Although I am a firm believer in #KeepTheEquipmentIWantATrophy !

To be fair, the entire point of Ultimate Club Testing (the event you were referring to), was to test the equipment and review it on THP for a period of time. I think most did that. It is a bit different than an event like #TheGrandaddy and others. Just my opinion but in the Ultimate Club Testing events, it says prior to signup that you will be reviewing the clubs.

I understand. It was the only real experience I had. At the same time, I stand by the rest of that post.

There would be a couple of factors for me. My current equipment is in okay shape, 4 years of usage, never been fitted to me, now if an event provided me with clubs that were fitted to me by a pro then said equipment will get a lot of play time before making that decision. I wouldn't be casually dismissing what the fitter has said and going with what my vast knowledge is telling me. Which ever OEM, they deserve a fair & unbiased shot of being my gamer clubs for their generosity and time that they have put into trying to improve my game. Sure, these OEMs that support us 'internet' golfers get a bit of advertising from us but it's generally to the miniscule market share of our home courses and whatever we may say online (risky).

So, in short, 'OEMs can bring it, I'll fly your banner proudly'

I dont think calling people out is part of what this discussion was to be about which is where it looked like that was headed.
Agreed my post was never meant to stir or call any one specific person out just meant to give a viewpoint. Don't want to start a back and forth.

For some reason it is just hitting me but THP has hooked up a lot of folks with some pretty cool gear.

For some reason it is just hitting me but THP has hooked up a lot of folks with some pretty cool gear.

You can say that again! Love THP and everything they do for the members here.

Agreed my post was never meant to stir or call any one specific person out just meant to give a viewpoint. Don't want to start a back and forth.

I didnt think it did buddy, just offering a viewpoint. THanks for contributing.

I guess the other thing I have always done is to try to purchase something else from the company that provided me with the opportunity. Whether it be a wood, a hybrid, a driver, or in my most recent case, a set of irons, I try to buy something else to review in hopes to continue to support both THP and the OEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me preface this by saying there is no right or wrong answer here, but I have a question as I prepare for THP Events in the future. If you get into a THP Event that comes with a full bag of equipment. How long do you think its right to play it? What I mean is I know everybody on THP is different and some change equipment a lot and others not much at all. But let's say for the sake of the discussion, you get into an event that gives you a bag full of equipment (THP has multiple events like this), is there any obligation on your end (not from THP), that says you should continue to play it for a period of time? Or, are you cool the next day or week, offing it for something else? I say this strictly about THP Events, not about doing forum testing, which is very different in my opinion.

I ask this genuinely and as mentioned there really is no right or wrong answer, just looking for feedback.

In an event that would provide that opportunity for a full 14 club deal, I personally would feel an obligation to at least semi become a brand ambassador for them. Not saying it would be required, but if a company is going to provide me with around a $3,000 bag of clubs, I'm going to morally feel an obligation to help them out and give feedback, tell others, show off the product etc.

I would probably have a hard time getting rid of those clubs ever, just because they would provide some sort of sentiment to me for the event I got to participate in. As well, being all one brand is something that interests me very much, so having the opportunity to become a one brand bag that I get to choose from the products they have, I would probably play that equipment for a decently long time.

Sorry I just feel as if some in here that have never had the experience may be a little off-base with what they are saying. For a ton of people a year is a long time to play equipment (it is a sickness really haha), but I still have quite a few clubs in my bag going on over a year from that event... Also everything but my irons is Callaway meaning post event I am still supporting the brand for the treatment they gave us.
Let's not dwell on my one year comment. It's just a comment that I have since retracted.

Well, that is an interesting question. My personal opinion is that there should be no 'required' time to play the new equipment. So let's say you get a full bag, game it for a weekend, and then decide you hate it. I guess it would be ok to just be done with it, even though I don't agree that you have adequately tested out a product to determine if it is better for you or not.

I could be wrong. I've never gotten it (although I get to experience it this summer). But it seems to me like there are a lot of very golf-educated people here on THP. I can't imagine the vast majority of people wouldn't give new clubs at least a month of trying out before 'concluding' that the club was good or not good for them. I know in my mind, I could not possibly conclude that a club was good or bad in a single weekend. My last major purchases of wedges, woods, and drivers, took months (and sometimes even a year) of trying out before deciding what to purchase. One weekend is not enough for me to reach any conclusions one way or the other.

I don't like rules telling people what they can and cannot do with respect to golf equipment, but that is because the 'idealist' in me believes most people will give new clubs an ample workout (at least a month of regular play) before reaching any conclusions.

In the alternative, I see ZERO problem with establishing a rule at the outset that if you get a full bag deal, you are expected to game it for a month or 6 weeks or whatever. If you know the rule going in, you have no room to complain.

I know I look forward putting a new bag in full contest against my current set up for a large amount of time.

~Rock

Unless obligations are set forth prior or during the event (which I know was not in the scope of the question), I feel like people have the right to do what they wish with the clubs, clothes, bags, whatever. That being said, personally, I wouldn't feel right profiting off of something that was just given to me (particularly custom fit), and I have passed down some of said equipment either to THPers or family in the past. I do not feel guilty at all about playing new lines or alternate clubs from the same company since all I would have done is give more money to the same sponsor.

If I'm fortunate enough to get into an event that provides a full bag, I would try to play the equipment for at least a year. That's me personally though and everyone is different. As someone who has not been in any of those events and follows along, I'd hope that everyone in those events provides their detailed thoughts on the equipment for at least a few months.

Personally I have a couple of different opinions on this

If I was lucky enough to have been chosen for something like The Grandaddy and I was being fitted for the clubs that were going in my bag, then I couldn't see myself changing them for quite a long time (heck, my current clubs are pretty old ones and were never fit for me) unless my swing changed so much that the clubs couldn't be altered to accommodate it. For this type of event, I would feel embarrassed about letting the clubs go bearing in mind the lengths that both THP and the OEM have gone to to provide you with the opportunity.

I feel that if someone has been fitted correctly to clubs that they themselves have chosen, then to sell them off shortly after is a bit of a kick in the teeth to everyone involved in setting the event up

If the event was such that you received a single club with a particular shaft, so in effect it is almost 'off the shelf', then there is no guarantee that it will be a good fit for you compared to your existing clubs, but as long as you gave it a decent amount of time to try the club, I wouldn't have an issue with it being passed along

This is just my opinion, but I am not like a lot of people on here who have the ability (in my case, it is lack of finances) to be able to buy new or trade in clubs all the time

Some may consider it a bit cheeky, but due to the logistics and finances, my only shot at an event at this moment in time would be The Grandaddy, but if I was lucky enough to be selected, I would consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity and anything I received (even if it was just a ball-marker) would be cherished forever....the fact that it includes the travel, clubs and golf with Callaway folks is a massive bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back