Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the bottom line is that you should do.what you feel is right. There is no legal or written obligation to play any of the clubs after an event. People feel the way they do and that's all good.

I look at from a differnt view then others and have spent sometime thinking about it. I never voiced my opinion because no one ever asked. I'm not one to shy away from speaking my mind, but there has to be a time and place. This was both but no one should feel any different about themselves or future involvement because of what is on my or anyone's mind. It's good discussion because it is clearing the air, so to speak

Having received 14 clubs at the MC, I confess to the fact that I currently have 3 clubs in the bag (wedges). I did game the clubs for a while (swapped out shafts) and gave them a hair shake. I will say that receiving full bag, definitely should hame them and give them a fair chance to stay in the bag. I believe there to be an unspoken obligation to THP and the sponsor OEM. In the end if the clubs don't work out for the individual, it is what it is, but that is another topic. I blame myself for not having all clubs in the bag right now. A bad job of getting fit and poor choices in ordering the clubs. The only issue I see is if you are in it to sell off the clubs afterwards for monetary gain (or recoup the cost of having attended the event) is not fair to THP and the sponsor OEM

I will add, that even if you take a product of this subject out of your bag, there should be some obligation to support that sponsor going forward. Future purchases of their line, shout-outs in social media, proudly wearing their hat, shirt, etc. Let's face it, they are doing it for advertising, why not help them out?

Pretty heavy topic. I respect the conversation so I'll share my thoughts, but please all understand they are my own.

I've been fortunate to play in two Morgan Cup's. They have both been incredibly special and both came with full 14 club deals. Both cost me over 1,000 dollars to experience, and that was some of the best money I've ever spent on the game of golf. I struggled with quite a few of my year one Cleveland equipment and piece by piece they left my bag, however this was after months of leading conversation/reviews on the forum. I think it's important to share experiences with clubs we receive in this manner for not only the members of THP, but the companies who sponsor. What I did take out of the bag, for the most part, I still have. Trades are something I'll never have an issue with, which is why I moved my irons for a different set of Morgan Cup irons, and I gave away the wedges to people interested in the new design. The driver was put into play by my pops yesterday, and the 3w and hybrid are still hanging out with the putter in my staff bag.

My 2014 bag is still entirely in tact and will remain a keepsake -- with the exception of the putter which i gave to one of the volunteers before we left True Blue on Sunday as a thank you for his efforts (I had tested the True Balance putter extensively for THP already). I provided my thoughts in depth regarding the J40 line, however I have owned nearly every piece of J40 gear previously and reviewed it openly on THP, so I did not feel as strongly about LONG-term reviews. That is obviously very different with the J15 irons I just received, and I will be providing detailed thoughts for a few months. While I find it unlikely that I trade any of it, but I am lucky to be in the position I am where I don't need to refund my experience by selling the clubs given to me. That's my choice.

The Grandaddy is something different entirely. This event comes at absolutely no cost to the individual, provides a full bag fitting, and some pretty limitless opportunities. It also provides golfers with the latest and greatest equipment, with eager eyes watching on from THP. Basically, these members are treated like royalty, and i think the review process behind that experience should be very extensive. At least it would be for me, and I've talked with a few Grandaddy'ers who are beyond passionate about 90% of their set with will game it proudly along with the bag for months, hopefully reviewing along the way. The question asked about this thread is not whether they should sell their gear or not, but I'll include that I hate to see/read about that. Trade it, give it away -- I can respect that.... but don't profit off of Callaway's insane generosity.

Tough question to start the day out, and, I believe even tougher for someone who has actually been sponsored for such an event. I say it like that, because, to me it's more about that than the clubs themselves. Personally, and this really is a personal thing IMO, I felt a huge obligation to TaylorMade for sponsoring me in the Morgan Cup last year. Although we couldn't choose the clubs we played, we were able to get fitted for them in advance. My fitting wasn't ideal because I was injured at the time, but, I was satisfied with my specs. My plan was to play the SLDR's until the end of the year, or as long as they were "current" in TM's line, and, personally, that is my answer to the original question. The reason I started out by saying this is a tough question, is that I played the SLDR's despite being less consistent with them, especially my previous irons (RBladez). I took them out only when TaylorMade and THP graciously sent a set of pre-release RSi! irons to the TMAG Morgan Cuppers. They would still be in the bag, but, I screwed them up beyond belief by re-shafting them. They will be back in the bag as soon as I can find an appropriate shaft to put in them, and will get a fair chance of staying there.

Sorry for the long winded answer. The bottom line is that, IMO, we have some great sponsors that do a lot for THP, and, although I know their primary business goal in the long run is to sell merchandise, I still feel an obligation to them for the lengths that they go to for us. That's especially true in a case like this where they give you not only a full bag of clubs, but the personal attention leading up to and during the event, and then follow up afterwards (that second set of pre-release irons really blew me away).

Also, I would like to add that if your are selling clubs due to "financial situations", maybe spending money on events is a ill advised short term decision.

Pretty heavy topic. I respect the conversation so I'll share my thoughts, but please all understand they are my own.

I've been fortunate to play in two Morgan Cup's. They have both been incredibly special and both came with full 14 club deals. Both cost me over 1,000 dollars to experience, and that was some of the best money I've ever spent on the game of golf. I struggled with quite a few of my year one Cleveland equipment and piece by piece they left my bag, however this was after months of leading conversation/reviews on the forum. I think it's important to share experiences with clubs we receive in this manner for not only the members of THP, but the companies who sponsor. What I did take out of the bag, for the most part, I still have. Trades are something I'll never have an issue with, which is why I moved my irons for a different set of Morgan Cup irons, and I gave away the wedges to people interested in the new design. The driver was put into play by my pops yesterday, and the 3w and hybrid are still hanging out with the putter in my staff bag.

My 2014 bag is still entirely in tact and will remain a keepsake -- with the exception of the putter which i gave to one of the volunteers before we left True Blue on Sunday as a thank you for his efforts (I had tested the True Balance putter extensively for THP already). I provided my thoughts in depth regarding the J40 line, however I have owned nearly every piece of J40 gear previously and reviewed it openly on THP, so I did not feel as strongly about LONG-term reviews. That is obviously very different with the J15 irons I just received, and I will be providing detailed thoughts for a few months. While I find it unlikely that I trade any of it, but I am lucky to be in the position I am where I don't need to refund my experience by selling the clubs given to me. That's my choice.

The Grandaddy is something different entirely. This event comes at absolutely no cost to the individual, provides a full bag fitting, and some pretty limitless opportunities. It also provides golfers with the latest and greatest equipment, with eager eyes watching on from THP. Basically, these members are treated like royalty, and i think the review process behind that experience should be very extensive. At least it would be for me, and I've talked with a few Grandaddy'ers who are beyond passionate about 90% of their set with will game it proudly along with the bag for months, hopefully reviewing along the way. The question asked about this thread is not whether they should sell their gear or not, but I'll include that I hate to see/read about that. Trade it, give it away -- I can respect that.... but don't profit off of Callaway's insane generosity.
You put it in words far better than I. ..

Genuine Question For THPers

My thoughts if it was someone else.

As a consumer and someone who comes to THP for informed, thorough, accurate reviews I expect someone who had this opportunity spends enough time with the equipment that they can answer a majority of the questions about said equipment.

However once you've spent the time with it, feel free to do with it if you must, pay it forward or sell it, it's yours to do with it what you want unless it goes against a predetermined obligation.

My stance for myself.

I've been lucky enough to have received more than enough equipment from THP, not necessarily a full bag event but enough gear separately to almost be a full bag. Nothing, that I've received from THP will be sold, I will pay it forward, i might ask someone to pay for shipping, that would be it.

I'm a sentimental guy as well, so the Nead (you can try to pry that from me) and the DPFs are more than just gear they come with special memories and reminders of great times, so I wouldn't part with them. If I had a shot at a 14 club deal, this is the stance I would take with them as well.

Using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have thought about this before and talked to other THPers about it. I would have a hard time offloading the equipment. Of course I would play them for some time and give my thoughts on the equipment, but offloading it quickly doesn't feel right to me. I don't mind what others do, but I could not do that. I feel that if I were given an opportunity at a full bag, I would game it for quite some time, giving my thoughts on equipment often.
As an example, I still have every club that I have received from THP by way of testing, part of an event, or won in a contest.

I don't think there is any obligation to use the equipment past the day of the event, especially considering that the THPer is typically paying an entry fee for said event. But, if that became a requirement, it definitely wouldn't keep me from continuing to enter events. I don't know why someone wouldn't continue to game that equipment though. I mean it is fitted for that golfer by experts. But, maybe the clubs, even though fitted for that THPer, don't have the "feel" that that particular THPer prefers.

On a side note: Out of respect to THP and the OEM, I do not believe that it is appropriate to put those clubs in the FS/FT thread. And, if someone did, I think there should be some sort of grace period.

FWIW, I won a set of custom fitted Mizuno's at the Fall 2010 THP Outing. They are still in my bag and are the only set of irons I own.

For me, one of the major incentives for trying to attend one of these events is the potential for new, fitted, equipment. I do not change equipment often and could not imagine discarding such a windfall in less than a full season.

If, however, the new equipment proved to be harmful to my game I would have to replace it.

If I were to get a full bag of equipment custom fitted for me from a THP event, I would at least give it a full season to test it/try it out before I would even think about selling any of the clubs. Getting a full set of customized new equipment for no cost out of my pocket is an awesome opportunity (not many get), my morals would not allow me turn right around and sell it the next day.

I'd definitely play the set for at least a season and put the set in my Summer rotation. Not that I would feel obligated but that it would be a freefitting with solid gear. Wilson Staff just keeps bringing it. I'd definitely go for the FG black forged though and some D200 hybrids and a D200 driver. An infinite putter and some FG tour wedges fo show.

Also, I would like to add that if your are selling clubs due to "financial situations", maybe spending money on events is a ill advised short term decision.

I must admit, I do agree with this

Hopefully, it won't reflect on my comment about what I could attempt to get involved with, but living in the UK adds a very significant cost to any event I might look at due to the cost of flights from here to the US, which is why, as much as I would like to be a part of them, I have to be realistic about any event

Here's the biggest thing. The companies give away this equipment as a marketing/PR tool. They aren't just giving it to THP for fun. If THP wants to continue to hold events in which this is possible, it is our obligation as a community to provide continued reviews and thoughts about the equipment to make it worth it to the companies involved. Does that mean you are obligated to keep it forever? No, it's still yours and they gave it to you with no written rules of what to do or not do. But if the lucky few who are provided the experience of getting these sort of deals do not provide the adequate reviews/testing/feedback on the equipment, and it becomes no longer beneficial to the companies, then most likely THP will start losing these type of events.

So do what you want...but if everyone just got rid of and sold the equipment provided to them without giving anything back (feedback/reviews), then it's going to be harder and harder for JB/GG/THP to convince companies that setting these type of events up are worth it to them.

For me, I would most likely game most or all of the bag for some time. I'm a used club shopper, and don't really splurge for the latest and greatest. So I'd be getting stuff I normally wouldn't see for a few years, plus there's a chance I'd be fit for it so it's a greater chance it would work better than what I have. I don't think it's a must to game stuff for a long time, but it's great for everyone here if feedback on the equipment is given over at least several rounds/weeks/whatever length of time to really get a solid feel for how the equipment works.

This thread obviously wouldn't exist if everything was fine.

Josh, you and Morgan run the site and if there's an expectation or hope that participants provide feedback for a certain amount of time than it should simply be a requirement for each event.

Without a written requirement, I think it leads to unfair judgment from others and a 'holier than thou' contest.

Josh, you and Morgan run the site and if there's an expectation or hope that participants provide feedback for a certain amount of time than it should simply be a requirement for each event.

Without a written requirement, I think it leads to unfair judgment from others and a 'holier than thou' contest.

You are assuming too much. I was genuinely curious.
Im sorry if you are feeling judged for something, that was not the intent. I was genuinely curious what people's views were.

If given the opportunity to be given a full bag at a THP event, I would think it was my responsibility to use that equipment often and give a good amount of feedback on the forum as to my experience with the clubs. I would also think that one should use the set enough to really get to know it, use the enough to feel very comfortable with them. All of the OEMs are producing great clubs and other than visual preference I'm confident that I could find gamers from any of them. Also, I'm of the opinion that when you're done with them, pass the good fortune on, either to another member here or one of the great charitable organizations that could use them.

I don't think that because I personally believe that people should pay it forward when they get free stuff gives me a holier than thou attitude.
Its just my opinion, and something I always try to do, but I don't expect people to do the same thing.

My hope would be that I play the equipment for at minimum an entire season.

Barring that, I am pretty sure the bag and equipment would end up on display in my home as a reminder of being a part of a THP event.

I think this is a bit short sighted. What if the financial situations much much later (let's say over 8 months)? Heck the Grandaddy is free (I am not calling anyone out!!!) but the clubs could fetch a pretty penny. I for one am in no position to challenge someone's financial situation. People can spend/make their money however they choose even if it means selling off 'free' stuff.

As somebody fairly new to the site, this is my take:

- If for some reason the event was sponsored by a company that I knew I hated, I simply wouldn't sign up for it. There aren't any companies like that so it's a moot point, but let's say for the sake of argument that I had played everything that Srixon makes and it just didn't work for me. I'd take a pass.

- If the gear was fitted, that would by default make it better than anything I've got right now, so I'd play it as long as it made sense to keep playing. Probably years. When I decided to take a piece out of my bag, if I didn't want to hold onto it for nostalgia, I'd give it to a THPer. It didn't cost me anything, and it was given to the community, so why should I make any money off it or let it go outside the community?

Enjoying the different points of view in this thread. Great topic. I think we've all wondered about this at some point.

You are assuming too much. I was genuinely curious.
Im sorry if you are feeling judged for something, that was not the intent. I was genuinely curious what people's views were.
I'm not feeling judged in the least. I just don't understand where this thread is going. If there's no formal obligation, than a person's own obligation is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back