The Ryder Cup, do the Euros have more passion?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm not calling anyone out or saying it's fact. But I feel that from the players to the fans, the Euros have more passion. US fans are so quick to not back their squad and it blows my mind. Like if they do and the US loses, it will reflect badly on them. I understand the US has had their hat handed to them so often but I don't think I can root against them. Or even say they are going to get beat. I will support them, proudly til the day I die. I'm trying to understand how others can't or don't.

What are your feelings?

I loooooooove this convo Pandaman, extremely curious to see how people feel on this one.

Passion? No. does the Ryder Cup mean more to them? Definitely.

Passion? No. does the Ryder Cup mean more to them? Definitely.

Why is that? We love our sports teams. Why not put that same energy into the RC team?

Why is that? We love our sports teams. Why not put that same energy into the RC team?

Because it's the big bad USA. I'm not saying it as demeaning, but it's a sport they can actually win in, and an afterthought in the minds of most American sports fans.

Because I don't think the players care about it as much. You ask each team if they'd rather win only one major in their career vs one Ryder Cup, and I have a feeling the Euro team gives more Ryder Cup responses than not. They just get up for it more and the US players don't.

Partly because it's a golf tournament that is played in the middle of the NFL season. It's just not that important over here.

It's a bigger deal for the Euros because they always have a chip on their shoulders because the European Tour is always fighting for respect against the PGA Tour.

Partly because it's a golf tournament that is played in the middle of the NFL season. It's just not that important over here.

It's a bigger deal for the Euros because they always have a chip on their shoulders because the European Tour is always fighting for respect against the PGA Tour.
Good answer Doc.

Yes def more Passion, Poulter/Sergio could shoot 80 all year get them in the Ryder Cup they are lights out the Passion/desire/determination is def stronger for the Euro's & they handle adversity much better

I'm not gonna lie, we love beating the Yanks. The USA chant does wonders for getting us Euro's fired up. But I wouldn't say they have more passion. I would bet my house they bond more as a team though! That being said, America ARE the favorites this time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really good topic.

I feel like for a long time it was viewed that the Americans don't care very much about it. I think it mattered much more to the Europeans because Americans dominated individual golf for so many years that this one week a year gave them a chance to prove that they can play golf too.

I think times are changing among the Americans though. You see guys like JT making comments about how he would rather win a Ryder cup than a major. And you have Patrick Reed out there basically riding a bald eagle with an American flag draped over his back. The younger generation is starting to get more and more into it and things are going to flip.

It's played in the middle of their soccer season and they still break away to support. As your second point, years back I'd agree. But the European tour is pretty stout and their players are world beaters.

By the way, some of the responses in here already are hilarious, and perhaps go some way to explaining how the European team find it easy to lift themselves just that little bit more to get a result.

It's really seemed like lately the Euros have definitely had more passion, it just seems to mean more to them. I know I'll probably get flamed for this but it seems like many of our guys care more about singles events and making $$$. For some reason the Euros just seem to have more of a team mentality vs. the U.S. I'm not saying all of the U.S. players are this way but it just seems there isn't the passion, almost like it's an off week of fun for them. I keep thinking that the U.S. team needs to bring in a bunch of young, fresh blood that wants to go for the Euro's throats.

Whether the US has a chance or not I will root for them. Doesn't mean I would pick them in a contest if I felt they were probably lose but I bleed red white and blue thru thick and thin.

I think Euro fans do have more passion than US fans. I personally enjoy the RC more than any other golf event and pull for the US no matter what. But I think it comes down to fans from all over Europe being able to get together to root for their home country when in comparison fans from the US pull more for players they like. I compare it to how fans in Europe root for "futbol" teams like it is their job. I think Americans are spoiled with how many teams/players we can pull for in different sports. The Euro's just fully enjoy rooting for the country to win more than we do and that is my opinion.

I think times are changing among the Americans though. You see guys like JT making comments about how he would rather win a Ryder cup than a major. And you have Patrick Reed out there basically riding a bald eagle with an American flag draped over his back. The younger generation is starting to get more and more into it and things are going to flip.

This! It felt like many of the guys that have been on the team for years didn't care too much. I really believe new blood on the team is going to be great. It's really refreshing seeing some of these guys show spirit and come across as truly caring.

i am a fan of golf and while I support the US team, I don't have crazy passion about them winning. I would rather see good golf and a close match whether it is won by the US or Euros. I would liken it to people liking a particular sports team and not their "home" team.

It's played in the middle of their soccer season and they still break away to support. As your second point, years back I'd agree. But the European tour is pretty stout and their players are world beaters.

The European Tour for years has had their top guys taking up membership on the PGA Tour instead of staying over there. Heck, you've got guys like Beef Johnston that are playing Web.com Tour Finals events just to get a card on the PGA Tour instead of staying on that side of the pond. The depth of the fields on that tour is clearly lower than the PGA Tour.

In terms of the players themselves, it helps that the Euros seems to have a more cohesive system in the way that they set up their teams and strategies in different years, as opposed to the USA in the past few Cups which has done a different thing seemingly every event. Azinger did one thing, Pavin did another, Love III had his way in 2012, and then Watson did things completely differently in 2014.

Fitting we are talking about passion and sports when the Ryder Cup is being held in a state where I would argue has some of the most fair weather sports fans of all. If the USA wins in glorious fashion most of us who live here will say we were there...likely during the Tuesday practice round because we got a free ticket. (I live 15 minutes from the course)

The Ryder Cup seems to be remembered in the past versus the moment. How many people will be DVR'ing versus watching it live...so most of us will know the various outcomes. Right now the Ryder Cup seems too contrived, like a poor mans olympics that are grasping for storylines to fill the time. Unless these guys got some personal animosity what it is that is going to really get them jazzed. It is a fun exhibition with some colorful individuals...but that is it. I would say the Americans passion is well placed.

IMO, the Euro's are better team players than the American's. I also think they have made an incredible amount of long(lucky) putts in the last Ryder Cup and won by a narrow margin of 14 1/2 to 13 1/2. I do think the way Hazeltine sets up gives the American's the advantage this year. It's a classic PGA Championship type course that may make the Euro's a bit uncomfortable. I'm going this year for the first time ever so I'lll be there in Red, White, and Blue, cheering them on!

I'm not gonna lie, we love beating the Yanks. The USA chant does wonders for getting us Euro's fired up. But I wouldn't say they have more passion. I would bet my house they bond more as a team though! That being said, America ARE the favorites this time round.

One reason they " love beating the Yanks" is they are still mad at up an upstart country 200 some odd years ago kicking there a$$, thus starting the decline of the British Empire, then when they got in a little scrape in the 1940's they had to ask us to help them out of a spot of trouble. So in retrospect I understand why they are so passionate about, "love beating the yanks "

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

One reason they " love beating the Yanks" is they are still mad at up an upstart country 200 some odd years ago kicking there a$$, thus starting the decline of the British Empire, then when they got in a little scrape in the 1940's they had to ask us to help them out of a spot of trouble. So in retrospect I understand why they are so passionate about, "love beating the yanks "

It's this sort of attitude which makes Americans so popular around the world. If you can't see that the Europeans love to beat the yanks because they are perennial underdogs then you're looking too deep. Honestly one of the most pathetic comments I've read on this forum, something I can imagine Trump saying.
I must say this thread is incredible. People have already given up before the event! How can that even be possible?!
I am 90% sure that the US will take it this time.
Perhaps supporting a team is different in the states vs Europe. If your team doesn't do well in Europe you remain a supporter until that team no longer exists. You never give up and you push to fight.

When a European sinks a Putt , it almost feels like he celebrates to the crowd as they are on his team almost an interaction. While I feel that the US are individuals rather than teammates and when they sink a Putt they have a cold look in there eyes or they simply overreact in a case of exceeded testosterone levels cough...Celtic Manor , Cough Overtan and Bubba

Sent from my 5056X using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but seriously?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back